What lb line for float fishing for perch with lobworms

tiddlertamer

I fancy spending some time float fishing for big perch this autumn.

The bait will be lobworms and these will be trotted into likely looking swims?

I fancy a change from trotting maggots and picking up lots of small fish.

What lb line should I use?

I like to fish straight though rather than use a hook link.

My reels currently have 2.9lb, 3.4lb and 6.9lb Drennan float fishing line. But what is the ideal breaking strain?

Finally, any tips as to what distinguishes a good perch swim from a good chub swim?

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would use your 3.4lb line near to snags. A light match rod to pull them away would be suitable. adjust that clutch though and prepare for those sudden lunges, My allotment holds lots of lob worms so I bait heavily with chopped Lobs and use some worm juice as a cloud groundbait. You will probably be plagued by smaller Perch but be patient as the bigger fish will be lurking nearby.

I'm lucky to go fishing everyday (when the FPO allows me)

East Anglian Fishing Forum

http://www.easternanglers.co.uk/

My reels currently have 2.9lb, 3.4lb and 6.9lb Drennan float fishing line. But what is the ideal breaking strain?

Finally, any tips as to what distinguishes a good perch swim from a good chub swim?

I'd go for something around 2kg B/S :D As for swims - cover - bushes etc that create a slack behind them are ideal - gravel bottoms - and on the canal - reed lined are swims I'd be looking at....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I'd go for something around 2kg B/S :D As for swims - cover - bushes etc that create a slack behind them are ideal - gravel bottoms - and on the canal - reed lined are swims I'd be looking at....

C.

4.4lb then if my calculation/conversion from 2kg is correct... :unsure:

And just when I was beginning to gain confidence in lighter lines... ho hum

Better to use a beefier line I guess and land something rather than risk losing it in snags...

A vist to the tackle shop may be in order...

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

4.4lb then if my calculation/conversion from 2kg is correct... :unsure:

And just when I was beginning to gain confidence in lighter lines... ho hum

Better to use a beefier line I guess and land something rather risk losing it in snags...

A vist to the tackle shop may be in order...

I use 5lb bottom, to a 6lb or 8lb mainline. You didn't say why you like straight through, but I strongly advise using a bottom length. Firstly, you may get snagged and the break may happen anywhere if you don't have a weaker bottom, and secondly, you should use a swivel unless you like having very twisted line. If you are putting a swivel on, you may as well use a bottom.

I find the hook crucial, I seem to get less perch and chub with a big hook when using lobs. No bigger than an 8 - I used a 10 last weekend - but it may be a confidence thing.

I completely agree with Chris as to swims. Reeds or cover of branches/sunken trees and clean gravel is the place to be.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I find the hook crucial, I seem to get less perch and chub with a big hook when using lobs. No bigger than an 8 - I used a 10 last weekend - but it may be a confidence thing.

Mike

Interesting. I'd certainly be wary of a big hook if I were a perch, and I've read articles where they recommend a 12, but other ones that say a 6. I use a 6 because I've found I've missed bites with an 8, which I've assumed - with a big lobworm - is because the point gets masked.

Any other views on this?

john clarke

Interesting. I'd certainly be wary of a big hook if I were a perch, and I've read articles where they recommend a 12, but other ones that say a 6. I use a 6 because I've found I've missed bites with an 8, which I've assumed - with a big lobworm - is because the point gets masked.

Any other views on this?

Yes!! When using lobs, and smaller hooks the point does get masked occasionally! Add a maggot or a bit of rubber, it reduces - but does not eliminate - the masking. A 6 does prevent it, but get less bites. I pinch the end off the worm anyway so there is less worm to catch over the point.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Should I be using barbed or barbless hooks when using lob worms as bait for perch?

I've heard arguments for both.

I must admit I've only recently sneaked a few barbed hooks into my tackle box, bigger sizes only, to keep a lobworm on the hook.

IMO I would suggest the 2.9lb on sluggish waters and the 3.4lb on faster waters.

A good Perch swim must have an abundance of bait fish, small Minnows, Bleak and Roach etc etc.

Perch actively hunt these smaller varieties.

Be careful also when choosing your location and do not necessarily favor swims with a greater density of shallow foliage,like rushes and Lillies because Pike frequent these locations and love to snack on Perch.

Do look for swims known to contain small Perch, the big ones also follow smaller Perch. I have had large Perch take a smaller Perch on a few occasions.

If you are using Lobworms do not skimp the bait. Give the Perch a full Worm and remember that the Perch will not always take the bait immediately. Some Perch suck and blow the bait a few times before they take it.

I would suggest a hook size no smaller than a 12 and no bigger than 16. Always uses Barbless.

Take some Pinkies with you as an attractant and feed for about 20 minutes before your first cast. It fills up the smaller fish and stops them bothering you too much.

The most important thing is remember your camera, you may break a record.

Edited by Now there's a right un.