Centrepin fishing - float size

The Flying Tench

Guest bbamboo
Have just looked, you done well to get it for that price, looks like you will be the one on the river next with a big rod....lol.

Wish I could say the same for the rod I was watching, bids went daft and for a no name cane rod in need of refurbishment it went over what I was willing to pay, never mind start lacquering today the nearly completed one.

Had a look at a few cane float rods and yes anything half decent goes for more than the cane fly rods.

Think I will start making a few and see how they go.

if they dont sell we will use them George

gary

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have just looked, you done well to get it for that price, looks like you will be the one on the river next with a big rod....lol.

Wish I could say the same for the rod I was watching, bids went daft and for a no name cane rod in need of refurbishment it went over what I was willing to pay, never mind start lacquering today the nearly completed one.

I have seen that happen so often with cane rods, hollowglass rods and reels and then I sit wondering. Did I miss something? Why did it go for such a silly price?

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

You want reasonable or good rod cheap without stupidity - try local newspapers, newsagents postcard size adds or cash converters. You can also see what you are buying.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

This one would be a typical example need a bit of work but a good rod.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I am the seller of that particular rod and I can assure you that it needs absolutely nothing doing to it at all as a fishing tool it will give many happy hours of use to it's next owner it's being sold because I never use it and haven't done for years and I am not a collector I have another Alcocks Avon that will be going on the bay of eveil shortly which agian is only going because it hsn't been used in the last 20 years however that rod when it comes up would benefit fronm a re-glue of the bottom ferrule but that will get mentioned in the description when it happens

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

The fluted Balsa can alternate with size the most I do is around the 7bb mark, the cork chubbers again go from 6bb - 8bb. I dont have any of those made in stock as I only make to order so if you wanted them I would have to wait, I do have balsa on cane from a non paid order that I done for a bloke then decided he didnt want to pay :( from 8bb, 9bb, 5AAA, 6AAA & 7AAA.

These have now been sold to a forum member, thank you for getting in touch :D

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

On that subject I've been trying red Power Pro for the past few weeks and I'm finding that whilst it's smoother and nicer to work with than Fireline Crystal it doesn't lift off the water in the same way. It floats well enough but when mending it drags off the surface slightly rather than coming straight off so I'll be reverting back to the Fireline. I know others are happy with mono but they're my thoughts as a braid user.

I've not a clue why braid has become popular with you southerners on here. :yucky: I wouldn't touch it with a perch barge pole. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I've not a clue why braid has become popular with you southerners on here. :yucky: I wouldn't touch it with a perch barge pole. :)

What are you currently using Brian ? I have always used either Perlon, or Drennan's Float, 3lb for dace/roach/grayling or 5lb for chub. No real quarrel with either, they both float quite well.

Why don't you like braid ? ...and for those that use braid for trotting, why do you prefer it to mono?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

What are you currently using Brian ? I have always used either Perlon, or Drennan's Float, 3lb for dace/roach/grayling or 5lb for chub. No real quarrel with either, they both float quite well.

Why don't you like braid ? ...and for those that use braid for trotting, why do you prefer it to mono?

Good old Perlon Dave.

Braid, apart from it floats to high and don't grip the water, on a windy day its the devil on a pin and with the lack of stretch i would need to use a softer rod with light hooklengths. Yes it lifts off easy, but Its not for me.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep