Centrepin fishing - float size

The Flying Tench

"Holding back" for me has nothing to do with getting the bait to rise at the end of the trot (something I personally have never found to be all its cracked up to anyway!) For me holding back is about slowing the speed down that the bait is moving along the bottom to the same speed as natural or free offerings are moving, This is where the old matchmans adage of choose the amount of lead not the float that I mentioned comes in.

I want to be able to hold the float back (as in retard its progress but smoothly down stream) to match the current (along the bottom) speed without the bait lifting up! This is where the correct amount of shot used comes in.

I ain't got time to wait till the end of a trot and hold back to lift the bait to get a bite! I want to get the fish drawn up as close as possible to me!

Yes you can catch fish just running the float through at current (surface) speed but you will catch so much more so much more often if you fish it "properly" and in my mind this (ie slowing the passage of the float/bait down) is what the centrepin is all about!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you can catch fish just running the float through at current (surface) speed but you will catch so much more so much more often if you fish it "properly" and in my mind this (ie slowing the passage of the float/bait down) is what the centrepin is all about!

Exactly! This is the whole point of pins, the only thing they're good at :P

True though isn't it?

The 'lots of shot, heavy float' lesson was brought home to me at the Itchen a couple of years ago. I was really struggling to keep the float on the right line along the far bank (and in a very blustery wind), but a change from the 5BB Avon to a 3SSG Chubber fixed that straight away, and suddenly I could control the float much better and started catching.

For some reason (probably my early years fishing little delicate floats in still water) I still always want to use the lightest float I can get away with when trotting, and I have to really force myself to go heavier!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I know some venues where the only way to catch in numbers is to allow the float/bait to go through the glide unchecked and go with the flow.

I also know of a spot where the best way to catch is to shot shirt button hold back hard and allow your bait to come up in the water and the fish take the bait whilst it's stationary in mid water, you just watch your float (stick) for the slightest pull and strike instantly. Just running through and holding back to current speed ot trotting through unhinderd will get fish but only odd one's in comparison to the afore mentiond method.

I think it's a cas of trial and error in each new spot until the best technique is sussed.

Guest bbamboo

I thought checking was allowing the shot to lift (Stopping the float in its tracks) and lifting the shot and the baited hook.

Holding back was just slowing the trott but not stopping it

Do we all agree on that?

Gary

I know some venues where the only way to catch in numbers is to allow the float/bait to go through the glide unchecked and go with the flow.

I also know of a spot where the best way to catch is to shot shirt button hold back hard and allow your bait to come up in the water and the fish take the bait whilst it's stationary in mid water, you just watch your float (stick) for the slightest pull and strike instantly. Just running through and holding back to current speed ot trotting through unhinderd will get fish but only odd one's in comparison to the afore mentiond method.

I think it's a cas of trial and error in each new spot until the best technique is sussed.

Agree that you should always try all options but talking in general terms wouldnt you say that holding back the float so the bait is at current speed is generally the best option?

Incidentally Ive often found Grayling and trout often prefer the bait without it being slowed, but roach hardly ever.

I'll try the whole range between holding back hard and letting the float go just to see which method induces bites. I've fished swims where chub were only interested if the float was trundling along with the current (the bait being behind it presumably), other swims only respond to the bait being inched along much slower than the current at the fished depth. Trotting a far bank swim a couple of rod lengths out it's difficult to hold back without an upstream breeze helping, the float just swings off line so you have to let the current take it.

The theory of the bait moving at the same speed as other bits and pieces in the river is sound enough but I've found too many occasions where a different approach produces bites.

IMO that's the beauty of trotting, each trot allows you to try something different and if you wish that can be every 10 or 15 seconds. You can change bait, depth, shotting pattern, trotting line, end tackle, speed knowing that if it doesn't work you haven't used up a lot of your day.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Trotting a far bank swim a couple of rod lengths out it's difficult to hold back without an upstream breeze helping, the float just swings off line so you have to let the current take it.

Or use a waggler.

Guest bbamboo
I'll try the whole range between holding back hard and letting the float go just to see which method induces bites. I've fished swims where chub were only interested if the float was trundling along with the current (the bait being behind it presumably), other swims only respond to the bait being inched along much slower than the current at the fished depth. Trotting a far bank swim a couple of rod lengths out it's difficult to hold back without an upstream breeze helping, the float just swings off line so you have to let the current take it.

The theory of the bait moving at the same speed as other bits and pieces in the river is sound enough but I've found too many occasions where a different approach produces bites.

IMO that's the beauty of trotting, each trot allows you to try something different and if you wish that can be every 10 or 15 seconds. You can change bait, depth, shotting pattern, trotting line, end tackle, speed knowing that if it doesn't work you haven't used up a lot of your day.

I totaly agree there is no set rules you have to work it out and thats what makes it interesting.

What works one day does not always work well the next.

Its all good is it not. :)

Or use a waggler.

How would that solve the pendulum effect when holding back on a far bank trot Budgie? I’ve only used wagglers on stillwaters attached bottom end only, if there’s another use I’m all ears. :)

It's never a 'six', let's put it back