Centrepin fishing - float size

The Flying Tench

Ive been sold on braid for most of my fishing for nigh on 20 years but its only the past 5 or so that Ive been using it on a pin for trotting.I only use it for top and bottom floats (and then the heavier ones).

My main reason is the fact that it floats so well without any messing around.Added bonuses are that it picks up better and doesn't stretch on the strike.Also Its nice not to have to change it a few times each year like you do light mono.Never loose a float!

I still use mono for waggler work and still water float fishing.

Lastly (and I know this is in total conflict to those who recommend using pole elastic in their set ups) Ive found I loose far less big Grayling on it than mono! (dont know about small ones as its always been banned at Timsbury!)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and for those that use braid for trotting, why do you prefer it to mono?

For those reasons really, it floats high and lifts off easily. I can see it, I've got used to the lack of stretch and feel comfortable with it. There are things that I don't like about braid but on balance I prefer it. Mind you it's been a while since I've used mono so I should load a reel with a 'floaty' brand and give it another try. Sometimes it's easy to stick with something because it feels better initially, it's often a good idea to go back and make sure that first impressions are still valid.

Perlon you say?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Sometimes it's easy to stick with something because it feels better initially, it's often a good idea to go back and make sure that first impressions are still valid.

Very good point Rusty.I did a lot of back and forth with braid/mono for one method I use and ended up deciding that mono was better for that particular job.

Not needed to for trotting though as this was kind of enforced on me by the fact that some waters I fished allowed braid and others didn't so I had a good current comparison thing naturally going on.

Guest bbamboo

. Mind you it's been a while since I've used mono so I should load a reel with a 'floaty' brand and give it another try.( Sometimes it's easy to stick with something because it feels better initially, it's often a good idea to go back and make sure that first impressions are still valid.)

I think that a good point Rusty

On the subject does anyone use Spiderwire braid and how does it compare to Berkley fireline cystal.

Gary

Good old Perlon Dave.

I think Perlon is Kamasan (don't know if it's always been) so it must be part of drennan I think. Brian, what do you find better about perlon than sensor ? It's around the same diameter to b/s as sensor (maybe a bit higher) but it's around £2.50 to £3 ish per 100 mtrs where as sensor is only £6 to £8 for over ten times the ammont (depending on the b/s).

On the subject does anyone use Spiderwire braid and how does it compare to Berkley fireline cystal.

Yes I do Gary.Ive tried most makes over the 20years Ive been using braid.Spiderwire remains my favourite.I dont like Fusion though only true braids.

For trotting I use it in 10lb BS which is billed as being a similar diameter to 2lb mono. Ive not tried Fireline Crystal in light BS's simply as Ive never found the Spiderwire lacking.

I think Perlon is Kamasan (don't know if it's always been) so it must be part of drennan I think.

Bayer's Perlon has been around for a very long time. I haven't followed who has taken over whom of recent years, but I still have spools labelled "Bayer Perlon" in my tackle cupboard (cool and dark, so mono lasts in there for years)

Perlon and ICI "Luron" were amongst the first two makes of mono I used

Before that it was "Otter Brand" silk with all the paraphenalia of re-dressing the silk each season, followed later by Milward's "Black Spider" and "White Spider" (braided terylene if my memory serves me.)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I swore by Bayer perlon during my match angling days then last year someone suggested to me using ultima flo cast and although it handled very well during the summer months it was an absolute nightmare come the colder weather and kept fraying and breaking up so that was disposed of in the bin swiftly.

I had used Berkely fireline crystal on my ledger rods as I discovered this on the back of using spiderwire which I wasnt too keen on but gave it a go.

Im now using berkley fireline crystal 6lbs for my all my trotting and wouldnt change from it now as it does exactly what I want it to do. :D

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

I use fireline crystal but I am always on the look out for something better and even now I will sometimes use Maxima chameleon.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I use fireline crystal but I am always on the look out for something better and even now I will sometimes use Maxima chameleon.

I didn't think chameleon was any good for trotting with it being a sinking line. I have a spool of fireline crystal in 10lb unused as I just hated the stuff as soon as I saw it. One day i might try it out, I'm in no hurry though. I think i'm like Brian and much prefer mono to braid for trotting, must be a lancashire thing. :D