Centrepin fishing - float size

The Flying Tench

I went trotting with a pin today using a 2AA loafer float. Part of the trick seems to be to be that, when the float hits the water, you need to give the reel a slight flick to start it rotating so the float doesn't get held back too much, which could result in the float getting pulled off course (if you are fishing the far bank). Is that right?

But then there needs to be a balance between the pull from the float and the slight friction and inertia from the reel. And presumably the bigger the float the more pull - so you need to choose a float to give the right pull, not just to hold the shot needed to get the bait down to the fish?

Assuming this is correct, I'd be interested to hear how more experienced pin users go about choosing a float. Does it vary with the speed and depth of the water?

Edited by The Flying Tench

john clarke

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went trotting with a pin today using a 2AA loafer float. Part of the trick seems to be to be that, when the float hits the water, you need to give the reel a slight flick to start it rotating so the float doesn't get held back too much, which could result in the float getting pulled off course (if you are fishing the far bank). Is that right?

ANSWER:

Not always, its a mixture, depth, float, flow, weight being carried, ease of pin starting of which a lot will be answered by yourself and your experiments and experience at the venue of your choice.

But then there needs to be a balance between the pull from the float and the slight friction and inertia from the reel. And presumably the bigger the float the more pull - so you need to choose a float to give the right pull, not just to hold the shot needed to get the bait down to the fish?

ANSWER:

Yes very much so and experience and experimentation will be your best advisers, but remember how to hold a pin and don't try to hold it like a fixed spool.

Assuming this is correct, I'd be interested to hear how more experienced pin users go about choosing a float. Does it vary with the speed and depth of the water?

ANSWER:

For me yes very much so, you would not believe how light you can go until you see a pin being used for dace in 12" to 15" of crystal clear slow moving water compared to the needs of a fast flowing deep river for Barbel where you really need weight to keep the hookbait down.

POINT:

The list of floats is almost the same length of the number of floats ever designed, remember prior to about the mid 1960's every type of fishing was done on the centrepin reel, I and I expect many others on here can remember looking at their wooden or metal or Bakelite centrepin and loving wanting and desiring a fixedspool reel, but knowing it was way out of their financial league and would take a lot of saving for.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

watatoad has answered everything as I would have said it and others. there should be no need to flick the pin if your tackle is set up correctly and you follow the pointers that has been said in the above post.

Good post watatoad, well answered :)

Edited by George387

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

Most of my river fishing with a float was learned from some very good match anglers whilst I was into the match scene whilst serving in Germany.

The best thing I was told was "A floats job is to carry the correct amount of weight required to present the bait correctly" So I have allways used that to select the size of float I use.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

John, I tend to use a loafer/avon float that takes a minimum of 2SSG. At the last LIF fish-in I used a 4SSG loafer, a smaller one would’ve been bounced around in the high river (I blanked but don’t think it was the float’s fault).

When I first started trotting I tried to fish as light as possible but found that changing conditions/flow even on the same river would change the level of control I had. Trotting the far bank was a particular problem, sometimes it was impossible to keep a tight line and if the float didn’t have enough ‘substance’ it would get dragged around everywhere. After reading a few threads here I started to use heavier loafers and have found 2SSG to be ideal for the rivers I fish. It starts up any of my reels easily and isn’t affected by a wet rod as lighter floats can be.

I know it’s a blanket approach and goes against the grain but my thoughts are that float control is paramount when trotting and for that I like a bit of weight irrespective of the river conditions. Presentation can be fine tuned by float depth, shotting pattern, hook size etc.

Give it a try, I think you’ll find it better.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I've found an avon type float (of various sizes from 2grm to 6 grm ) with a large sight tip suites me in virtually all circumstances. I use alloy stemmed and carbon stemmed but favour the carbon stemmed float. The Steve Maher carbon stemmed avon bolo is my favourite float followed by the Woody's range of avon bolos whish have alloy stem's. I have used the Maver and Mapp avons also and they're very good floats some being quite similar to the Maher and Woody's floats.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WOODYS-BOLOGNESE-AVO...=item8e076a1455

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-MAP-ALLOY-STEM-AV...=item53e01df524

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-WOODYS-BOLOGNESE-F...=item483cda2915

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-NEW-WOODYS-ALLOY-...=item3361bd18dd

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEVE-MAHER-WIRESTEM...=item5d2bc898c0

Personaly never use anything less than 6AA , prefer Balsa trotters to wire Avons like the fish to have something to pull against. Down to my last Balsa trotter does any one knows where I can get my hands on some more ? Use Peacock wagglers a fair bit too as these carry a lot of shot

Personaly never use anything less than 6AA , prefer Balsa trotters to wire Avons like the fish to have something to pull against. Down to my last Balsa trotter does any one knows where I can get my hands on some more ? Use Peacock wagglers a fair bit too as these carry a lot of shot

There are a few float makers on Anglers Net, I am sure at least one of them can make you some.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I too like the balsa trotters and have just ordered some more from the link below. They seem to be quite hard to find these days.

http://www.mattstackle.co.uk/productinfo.php?product=608

Thats the old "Fishing weights/Moulds" company/site.They had a terrible reputation for stuff (especially float making components) being out of stocjk yet still advertised and "orderable" Let us know how you get on Paul.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!