The end is nigh for livebaiting nationally!!!!

phil hackett

Originally posted by Chris Playle:

[QB]I'm probably going to get shot for this question but, hell, it's a discussion forum.

I've never really seen the point in livebaiting when so many big pike and perch have been caught on lures and deadbaits.

I remember one day that friends of mine and I went to The Great Ouse relief Channel armed with deadbaits because we felt that we did not need livebaits to catch pike there. It appeared that we were the only anglers who did not have live baits and we were the only anglers who never caught pike that day. Double figure fish were the norm, twenties weren't rare and the guy in the next swim to me caught a thirty-one and a quarter pounder. On that day, livebaits were essential if you wanted to catch pike.

While I no longer have the opportunity to fish for pike, if I did, I would want the option to use livebaits for them. Certainly I use live baits in my fishing these days if I think it is necessary, and I will fight to retain the right to do so should it ever be threatened.

(edit note from Newt - shortened the line so the post didn't spread so much. No other changes)

[ 09. August 2002, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what do we do now??..with respect to peoples political views,"thats all hogwash".must we not stop the differences between "types" of fishing and realise that this IS an attack on "fishing" in general.I joined this cyber world,and pac possably to late to submit any opposition to this

issue and without this I had no knowlege of what was afoot.but there is at least now one more to the ranks of the stand up and be counted brigade.

I doubt if this law could ever be reversed/overturned or whatever..but we can do something to try to stop this going any further..

As an angler that at the time was not involved with pac or this evil computer world,I did not know what was going on...why when I bought dead bait was it never mentioned at a tackle shop?why was there not a petition to sign to add weight to the opposition?could we have doubled the response if more were aware of it?Passage of information by any means is vital if we are to stand up against anything..a blunder this time on that side,we can not surely let it happen again that way as things progress..

I have said it before and I will say it again. If anyone is interested in doing something long term for the future of the sport, or if anyone connected to the angling authorities would like any help, then I will offer my services. Someone has to read this forum and stop talking and do something to protect the sport! Discussions like these seem to go nowhere fast!! My e-mail is matt@performancewales.co.uk for anyone interested.

so that's that then is it?.all the hot air over anouther topic that was once important now going to die oh well.

or we could all stop moaning, having a go at each other and DO SOMETHING.now what is that somthing i hear cry all across the country .well there are loads of things we can do.we could all write to our mps demand they have anouther look at this but you wont

.we could all join any angling body that represents angling .SAA RSSG TSB for all i care but join somthing add your cash and time and effort to the hardworking people who do things,but you wont.

i as an ordinary (some have called me novice) :D angler asked my mp if angling was safe with labour.he got a question tabled in parliment which i have the answer too it is in hansard which i will keep.this i will chuck at him when it goes wrong.i did it so can you.

twigster there is an SAA link on this site or im sure trent will send you some details.

ok rant over will we do somthing or just moan?too many good people have been involved and allowed to leave because of petty things,please lets stop and make a differance now.cheers big al

[ 09. August 2002, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: big al ]

british by birth ,english by the grace of god

quote:

Originally posted by chevin:

I remember one day that friends of mine and I went to The Great Ouse relief Channel.... the guy in the next swim to me caught a thirty-one and a quarter pounder. .

[/QB]

Just wondered...was the day in question in 1969?

(I know the question is irrelevant to the matter in hand, but didn't know where else to ask it)

[ 09. August 2002, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: DMCA ]

DMCA:
Originally posted by chevin:

I remember one day that friends of mine and I went to The Great Ouse relief Channel.... the guy in the next swim to me caught a thirty-one and a quarter pounder. .

Just wondered...was the day in question in 1969?

It could very well have been! Obviously you know something about the day. Please tell! I am sure that other readers will be interested in seeing the history behind our postings :)

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Copied from 'New Society' thread as is relevant on this one but in answer to Scotts comment.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Scott:

[QB]Greg when have I branded others that dissagree with me, ok I called you a Trout angler but that was based only on what I knew about you at the time.

But therein lies my point, because I was pointing out merits in the ban I was immediately labelled a non pike angler without knowing the facts. What I personally would feel about the ban is based on how little effect it has on the number of Pike being caught in Ireland where a ban is in force, compared to the control of disease and spread of new species where they are detrimental to existing species. As for the banning of coarse dead-baits it would be hard to ensure the fish being used did not carry parisites or infectious disease. Remember the decimation of Perch stocks throughout Britain and Ireland in the 60's.Do you wish to see the same with other species? who knows it could be the Pike next time!

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

greg long:

Copied from 'New Society' thread as is relevant on this one but in answer to Scotts comment.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Scott:

[QB Remember the decimation of Perch stocks throughout Britain and Ireland in the 60's.Do you wish to see the same with other species? who knows it could be the Pike next time!

Greg, perch disease wasn't caused by anglers. It was caused by a parasite (a nematode worm) carried by seabirds, especially gulls. This weakened the perch and they subsequently died from a wide variety of causes, but especially aeromonas infections.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Greg, I appologise for insulting you. I have lost a great deal of my fishing and was lashing out at people that seemed to agree with it.

But you must surely admit that Trout anglers have been responsible for the deaths of a great many Pike, and that is why there is a divide between us, to that you can add some match anglers as well.

My argument is that the banning of coarse deadbaits is stupid and not relevant to the protection of rare species, I believe that Minnows (a regular Trout bait) are still allowed to be used live or dead (still waiting official conformation on this).

And the main point is that if these alien species are really destroying rare species why is there no mention at all of them being removed.Surely their removal would permit the rare species to gain a bigger foothold in those waters.

There are now a breeding pair of Ospreys feeding heavily on the Roach stocks of one lake that also contains Vendace.

Remove the Roach the Ospreys leave, leave the Roach the vendace dissapear, anyone like to put money on the outcome of that one?

My main fear is that this byelaw will be ignored as much as the old one and people will get caught using illegal baits. There isnt a law in this country that can be policed effectivly and this will be no different. The EA has (aledgedly) reduced the number of bayliffs from 12 to 10, to cover 14 lakes, well over 80 miles of bank. How good a job will they be able to do?

But what happens when they realise it cant be policed? Will all fishing be banned on these waters? Or will fishing be limited to lures/flies only? That is easier to police, if there is someone fishing and hes not constantly casting out then hes up to something and needs checking, a bit easier than having to check 50 peoples bags everyday.

Im old enough as most people here are to remember the comments made when banning lead shot was first mentioned, it happened.

When barbless hooks were made compulsary on most waters, a lot of waters now have keepnet bans except in matches.

Now livebaits and even deadbaits are banned here, within 3-5 years many more waters will be faced with this ban.

We live in a country where no-one wants to address a problem in an effective way, its easier to ban something, but the only people that ever suffer are the ones that followed the rules to start with.

Scott.

You have been busy whilst I’ve been on my hols, haven’t you!

To all those who may be thinking that the angling bodies are doing nothing, let me assure you, things are but they will take time. Over the next few days I personally will be talking to people in our society who may be able to help over this issue.

Can’t say anymore as eyes read this site. Wouldn’t want them to know what’s coming next would we now?

phil h.