Countyside Alliance and FACT

trent.barbeler

Just out of interest this is what PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals?)are saying about your sport on their website tonight!

"What’s wrong with catch-and-release fishing?

Have you ever seen an injured dog who has been hit by a car or a cat who’s been seriously hurt in a fight? Unless they are treated by a veterinarian, these animals are likely to die from their injuries. Fish are no different: A hook through the mouth causes a serious and extremely painful injury that is often fatal without treatment. But anglers just toss injured fish back into the water—often without realizing what they’ve done.

In addition to the wounds that are caused by the hook, fish released after being caught can suffer from loss of their protective scale coating, dangerous build-up of lactic acid in their muscles, oxygen depletion, and damage to their delicate fins and mouths. Upon being returned to the water, these fish are easy targets for predators and other fishers. Researchers at the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation found that as many as 43 percent of fish released after being caught died within six days. Catching fish is cruel and unnecessary, whether they are killed on the spot or thrown back into the water, injured and exhausted."

Still think that your safe because you don't kill the fish that you catch?

Regards

Dave Olley

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Dave.

Liked the cartoon Newt. That’s the trouble with burying your head in the sand. Ones rear quarters become frighteningly exposed to predators.

Dear Peter,

I appreciate the appreciation Peter but any praise "MUST" go to Chris Burt who gave me permission to use his piece on anti-angling. Chris remains an absolute stalwart for the defence of angling as does his comrades in SAA and FACT.

Regards,

Lee.

hmmmm wheres mr Boote tonight ,i wanted to see his funny shoes :(

hopefully hes getting me a reduction on my council tax and a bit late on posting because of it

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Dear Chesters,

I was wondering the very same.

Perhaps his bat wings haven't dried out with all the snow we had last night? Or he's got his feet stuck in the cave ceiling?

Or merely down the pub with JB?

Regards,

Lee.

Offski to bedislavia before Vlad appears.

probably hovering

on

his

leathery

er

er

wings

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

In the past two days I've had to close two threads concerning hunting/shooting/fishing/CA/PETA, I don't mind going for the hat-trick.

Most of you have been on here long enough to know that I work by three rules....

1 Keep it legal

2 Keep it clean

3 Keep it FRIENDLY

Follow these simple rules (especially the last) and the thread will stay, otherwise I will get my hat-trick :mad:

[ 23. February 2005, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Newt:

Lee - I suppose the question is how to best combat

Posted Image

Not so much heads in sand Newt, more a case of lacking in paranoia.

Newt, what amazes me is the apparent lack of response from the US Bible Belt to PETA.

The Bible is quite clear that man should eat meat, afteral we are designed to do it. The Bible is quite clear that animals are put on this earth for man's use. Jesus made friends with fishermen, even went fishing with them, classically told them to up their catch by fishing on the right side of the boat.

PETA is clearly working against the teachings of God, but a deathly hush on this matter, surprising.

Thanks Lee for taking the trouble to spell things out, and of course to Chris Burt for producing the document in the first place.

I would suggest that everyone who DOES care about the future of angling in this country should copy and paste your post into their own files - and retrieve and read it at regular intervals.

I was beginning to despair of the future for angling in this country, given the attitude of far too many posters on this forum. At least I am now reassured that at least SOME are aware of the reality of the dangers we face.

Not to hold my breath for positive action though - I am hopeful, but not optimistic, given the talent angling politicians have for falling out amongst themselves. I have seen too many failures of "Anglers Speaking With One Voice", from the National Anglers' Council of the 1960s (in which I put considerable effort at regional level) to the present day.

So as a realist I will still be making contingency plans to move the centre of my angling activities overseas, but as a hopeful supporter will still support FACT, NAA and SAA morally and financially.

Whether angling in the UK will get banned by politicians in my lifetime is arguable, but what is far more likely is disruption of angling, and even physical attacks upon anglers by these fanatics.

Something I have raised several times before is the question of protection for field sportsman. In the USA it is a FEDERAL OFFENCE to harrass anyone fishing or hunting. Why should we not have the same?

This point has gone down like a lead balloon in the past. Why?

Two things need doing as soon as possible

1. Our representatives should be studying the USA legislation and drafting a UK equivalent.

2. We should ALL be agitating for such a law -writing to our MPs, the press, etc.

Anglers have already been physically attacked at the waterside in this country. Such attacks may well increase once these thugs have no hunts to disrupt.

The next victim might well be YOU, so please, no complacency. Take preventative action NOW.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...