Best target for 'back end'

The Flying Tench

What are people's plans for the last couple of weeks of the river season? I had thought of it as 'pike time', after hearing of people getting pb's on the last day of the season. Now though, pike are spawning earlier, and I note Peter Waller reckons the Norfolk pike season is more or less over.

I'd also thought of it as 'dace time'. A massive catch of dace of 1lb was landed at Barton Court on the Upper Kennet in early March in 2003, but I note they were tightly shoaled ready for spawning, and I've heard of the dace spawning in February. So maybe it's too late for dace?

So what are people going for?

john clarke

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a little free pond near me that closes in the close season so i want to give that a go as in the past i have had big bags of crucians rudd and even the odd tench in the past back end months. i also want to give fishers green on the river lea a last try for a really big chub, still not managed to get one yet from there.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

John - I'll still be chasing the dace. (I'm at BC on the 11th!). If it gets a bit milder hopefully get a perch or two - still chasing that 4lber! And there's always chub and grayling to oblige if it stays cold...

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I'll be up at Elston on the Ribble, and walking up and down the banks of the Lostock for the rest of this season.....

Then earning brownie points ready for those early morning tench sessions

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

I am going to try my newish club ticket river, barbel (never caught one before), perch, big roach, big shoal of bream, chub and pike are in this town stretch so i'll be taking my trotting set up and a lure rod, oh and maybe a carp rod to chuck out a live bait if I catch a small one with my trotting outfit :) If I do live bait I will do this on the sly as the last thing I want is some good samaritan pointing out how cruel I am.

[ 25. February 2005, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: j_s ]

James