Famous anglers only catch those fish because...

Anderoo

A massive assumption in fact, and totally wrong! Sorry :)

If we are talking about Wingham (which I didn't think we were) then absolutely, almost all my fishing is legering. Not at range though, anywhere from off the rod tip to about 60 yards (I can't fish accurately after about 60 yards, and haven't really felt the need to be honest). But Wingham usually means bream, which to me means legering.

Despite the impression given on here, the time I spend at Wingham over a year is tiny. The vast majority of my fishing is done locally, using all methods, depending on my mood and whether I have a bee in my bonnet about something (there's usually something!). So perhaps that gives a false impression.

Anyway, now I have presented my defence of the noble art, maybe the topic can carry on!

PS as I said before (twice I think), I did float fish the margins of that lake for tench. I never caught one using that method. What the camera shows you is the culmination of everything, the float going under, the fight, the lovely fat tench in the net - not the months of planning and observation that led up to it.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the camera shows you is the culmination of everything, the float going under, the fight, the lovely fat tench in the net - not the months of planning and observation that led up to it.

Yeah I do know that Andrew. I don't think they'll have put that much effort (months of planning and observation) into catching that one fish though otherwise the filming would have taken forever. I would have thought several weeks would suffice.

If they had taken all that time to pre bait the swim etc and it's a club/public water then I'm pretty sure someone else would have had a cast in the spot and spoiled there preperations.

Anyway, I concede as you say Bowler must just be a better angler than you then.

Yeah I do know that Andrew. I don't think they'll have put that much effort (months of planning and observation) into catching that one fish though otherwise the filming would have taken forever. I would have thought several weeks would suffice.

If they had taken all that time to pre bait the swim etc and it's a club/public water then I'm pretty sure someone else would have had a cast in the spot and spoiled there preperations.

Anyway, I concede as you say Bowler must just be a better angler than you then.

I didn't mention pre-baiting! On that lake, pre-baiting would be a waste of time so I doubt he did that (busy lake, so no guarantee of getting that swim). But I bet they did put loads of effort in, which is why he had the success he did. Of course he's a better angler than me! My personal view is that he's not a great presenter, but he is without doubt a seriously good all-round angler. And not because he fishes waters that are off limits to us average joes.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Something you hear quite a lot:

'[Famous angler] only catches those fish because he has access to all those top waters'

Discuss :)

PS for the benefit of Elton, discuss without being libellous :)

Greetings, :)

Now, its funny you should say that, funny it definitely is. I'm a great fan of Hayes & Brown, Wilson, Nudd & all the rest. But, when watching the programmes I've often noticed the apparent quality of the waters where they cast out? Another thing, they always seem, most times at least, to have the water to themselves? Nowt like that around here lads; back to the law of the jungle it is, first come, first served & bugger the hindmost.

Regards much, ;)

Mr H.

Norfolk? Hmmmm. Must be the wonderful Wilson you refer to. I always heard he was a real sweetie.

Can't be easy being a celebrity and running a shop...

im sure it isnt..but by the same token dont expect to be famous and then get all nasty when your asked a civil question! LOL

maybe he caught him at the wrong time......

ive met him and he seemed nice enough

I didn't mention pre-baiting! On that lake, pre-baiting would be a waste of time so I doubt he did that (busy lake, so no guarantee of getting that swim). But I bet they did put loads of effort in, which is why he had the success he did. Of course he's a better angler than me! My personal view is that he's not a great presenter, but he is without doubt a seriously good all-round angler. And not because he fishes waters that are off limits to us average joes.

i used to ride a BMX semi seriously. unlike fishing the difference in quality of skill is very easily discernable. the good ones don't crash as much, but there is always, wherever you go one kid who is head and shoulders above the rest for no real reason. talent is talent and some people just seem to have it.

the person i used to pigeon shooting with was immense. every bird i shot was just because he had let me. if i hadn't been there the bird would have dropped a couple of seconds earlier. still, i always caught more fish than him!

when i used to fish tolpits in watford it took me two night session to have a guess that the tench patroled the margins at dawn, i reckon to pick up the anglers spill-overs. sure enough, they did every dawn i was ever there and i had a couple off that observation, but it wasn't skill that got me the result, i was just bored one morning staring into the water

thats the beauty of fishing though, it's there for all of us average joe's

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever

im sure it isnt..but by the same token dont expect to be famous and then get all nasty when your asked a civil question! LOL

maybe he caught him at the wrong time......

ive met him and he seemed nice enough

I went to his shop in Norwich to meet him, and he was a moody old sod! I was a kid and totally star-struck, couldn't think of anything to say and didn't buy anything, so that probably explains it.

I also wrote him a letter asking some questions about the river Wensum trout, but never had a reply :(

He's still the daddy though :)

I went to his shop in Norwich to meet him, and he was a moody old sod! I was a kid and totally star-struck, couldn't think of anything to say and didn't buy anything, so that probably explains it.

I also wrote him a letter asking some questions about the river Wensum trout, but never had a reply :(

He's still the daddy though :)

you ever want to go for wensum trout then come down and spend a day here at Fakenham! we have a good stretch of the wensum available, both free fishing and club sections...ill even take you to one of the lakes for some carp action later if you fancy it!

Yeah, that's what I said :thumbs:

Do you reckon you'd catch the same numbers (or even more) of specimen fish as, say, Martin Bowler if you could fish all the places he does then Tigger?