Bored with Coarse Fishing

Dales

lol :D

I think I am more a lure collector then a lure angler.

You should reconsider the fluff chucking option , then - and tie your own, you will soon be wasting hours of your time creating a large collection of elaborate decorations for bankside trees. :D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ive still to get a salmon on the fly.

There you go then Dales.

As someone who has caught nearly all of the freshwater species of Britain, I am still far from bored with fishing. True, I rarely fish for carp (and only sight-fish with floaters when I do), and never fish deliberately for bream, but even after seventy year's fishing, there is still enough diversity and challenge out there to keep me interested.

I think it ties in with Gozzer's recent thread "Reasons for being cheerful". I have long since fished entirely for my own amusement, and not to make catches to astonish others. Result, I am cheerful not only whilst fishing, but whilst planning the next fishing project - because I am doing what I choose to do.

Doing the research behind locating the ten-spined stickleback, trying to catch anorexic grass carp in a pond full of ravenous pasties, trolling Coniston for char for the umpteenth time, all presented different types of challenges which kept me interested - and I still found time and inclination to fish for roach and perch.

I wonder, is my sustained interest because I favour float, free-lining, fly or spinner rather that legers, bolt rigs and swim feeders ? Put another way, most of my fishing is done with a rod in my hand, rather than it lying passively on rod rests. I have never owned a set of buzzer bars in my life. It might not be as effective in terms of "big fish" (although I have had my share) but at least I feel I am fishing, and not waiting for a set line to register a bite. Also, the vast majority of my coarse fishing is done at very close range, so I can see what is going on, "read" what is happening underwater, and thereby take action, rather than having to guess what is happening seventy yards away.

"Keep in touch with your bait (or lure)" is my guiding principle - otherwise I feel I am not really fishing properly.

Try it.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Really?!?

Mmmmmmmm, some of it might be tongue in cheek.

Bored of the variety of silver fish fishing and would prefer to fish only for carp? Whilst I'd admit there is more than one way to catch a carp there must be at least 5 times more ways to catch other fish.

I have never been interested in silvers and other then trying to catch new small species they don't do it for me. I don't think I could ever just fish for Carp full stop, it's the variety of different species I enjoy and I think it's the lack of current variety that is making me loose a little interest.

I always tend to have a bit of a fishing holiday over the mid to late summer as nothing feels quite right, however I can't wait for the Autumn and Winter on the rivers and Spring on gravel pits.

I think I have just run out of steam on my fishing, I have done very little "other" fishing this year. I would normally have done some deep sea or mangrove fishing abroad or even popped in for a day ticket fishery abroad. So i think I am missing playing whoppers. This year has been mainly british native species, the same few fish over and over again. So I am looking forward to the autumn mainly for some Zander fishing, planning to target them on the river Lea. It has the odd one which should make it challenging to try to get one but will no doubt pop in to Bury Hill for a try.

Don't you generally fish easy 'commercial' waters type waters (with on obvious exception) perhaps you need to try a more varied diet not a even more restrictive one?

My quest for the more exotic species does indeed take me to commercials it's the only place I can find various Goldfish strains, Orfe etc but I have no real interest in fishing them for "native" species. I probably do far to much still water fishing and so in general catch the same few species, obviously doing more river fishing would add variety. But I do have a trip planned to go to Tanyards in October after Pumpkin Seeds :rolleyes:

Are you honestly serious?

Rich

Well yes and no, it might be no coincidence that my general disinterest with fishing ties in with giving up smoking recently and I do seem very irritable at the moment and generaly annoying :D But I am finding Carp fishing rather appealing at the moment but doubt I could ever become and out and out "Carper" I would always want to do some Pike, Perch, Zander fishing etc and would still want to fish for Tench and Bream from time to time. Don't know why I have never been interested in Roach as I love catching Rudd. As I have always been as much a fish keeper as angler it's the huge variety of species and the more obscure the better that I find interesting.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Excellent post Dave! I do own alarms and buzz bars etc but it us nowhere near as much fun!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Rich

Indeed it is :thumbs:

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

it might be no coincidence that my general disinterest with fishing ties in with giving up smoking recently and I do seem very irritable at the moment and generaly annoying

Well my hat goes off to you for that one dales. I wish I had the bloody willpower. I find that when I am fishing behind stationary rods on the river I smoke much more to stave off boredom so carp fishing may not be your best bet. It is best to stay busy so that you dont really have time to think about smoking. ;)

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Well my hat goes off to you for that one dales. I wish I had the bloody willpower. I find that when I am fishing behind stationary rods on the river I smoke much more to stave off boredom so carp fishing may not be your best bet. It is best to stay busy so that you dont really have time to think about smoking. ;)

Yeah the last long session I done a few weeks ago, I did end up getting out the float rod rather then sit behind the alarms and did manage to catch a few nice sized Perch and Rudd on the old Cortesi PIN, but they were no substitute for a packet of Consolate :D but it kept me busy and did accidently introduce me to the fun of playing an eel on a PIN reel. Might need to beef the rod up from a match rod and put some heavier line on before delibertly trying for eels on a PIN in the margin :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

That's BIG! :)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...