If you cross a Frog with a Yank

The Flying Tench

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DavyR,

We are mostly "free will" thieves I think? I don't believe any prisioner ships came to America like the Aussies?

Phone

Not quite true. Virginia was not a penal colony, but Georgia and Loiusiana were.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Not quite true. Virginia was not a penal colony, but Georgia and Loiusiana were.

Are you sure about that, Cory (my italics)?

"The vast majority of transported convicts [before the American War of Independence] were sent to Maryland and Virginia, with the remaining few going to Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and the West Indies."

http://www.earlyamericancrime.com/convict-...nd-and-virginia

Are you sure about that, Cory (my italics)?

"The vast majority of transported convicts [before the American War of Independence] were sent to Maryland and Virginia, with the remaining few going to Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and the West Indies."

http://www.earlyamericancrime.com/convict-...nd-and-virginia

No not sure at all Davy, I could well be wrong. I know that we sent some to Georgia and the French sent some to Louisiana.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Quite a few of us and I'd have been happy to know some of the folks who were over here helping in our dispute with King Georges troops or fought you folks over here a few years earlier (French & Indian War in the mid 1700s).

However, move forward a few years to WWI and more so WWII. Not the same attitudes as when they fought you.

The French attitude to fighting in both world wars is often questioned, sometimes unfairly.

WW 1.

UK casualties 1.6 million

UK deaths 886,000

Percentage of total population 2.19%

USA casualties 205,000

USA deaths 116,000

Percentage of total population 0.13%

French casualties 4.2 million

French deaths 1.3 million

Percentage of total population 4.29%

WW 2.

UK military deaths 383,000

UK civilian deaths 67,100

US military deaths 416,000

US civilian deaths 1,700

French military deaths 217,000

French civilian deaths 350,000

I would say that they did their bit

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I think that everyone's cultures are so mixed-up (in the homogenised sense) these days that it's an impossible question to answer.

For instance, I'm a fan of (mainly) English traditional dance and song. There are a lot of Morris sides active in the USA, plenty of English bands playing French music (especially for Welsh Border Morris), and pub sessions in parts of France where you can hear English, Scottish, Irish and Bluegrass music alongside the French stuff.

Food and drink has become largely internationalised. And you've only got to watch a couple of episodes of "Who Do You Think You Are" to find that people in the UK often have ancestors from Continental Europe, or ones that emigrated to the USA.

Once Wine, Women and Song are all in the cultural mix, there's no point in stereotyping. :D

Quite right.

Communications and travel have served to make the world a very small place, indeed. And this is one big melting pot over here, those who can claim ancestry to one nation or culture are increasingly scarce. My kids are Dutch, Danish, German, Polish, Irish, English, and Welsh, for example.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

My kids are Dutch, Danish, German, Polish, Irish, English, and Welsh, for example

Your wife needs to be more careful then.

No, wait. I didn't say that. Just ignore this post. 2056.gif

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

However, move forward a few years to WWI and more so WWII. Not the same attitudes as when they fought you.

Errrrrrrmm Newt, that was the Germans, not the french, they were allies. B)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Your wife needs to be more careful then.

No, wait. I didn't say that. Just ignore this post. 2056.gif

Wife? Don't you know I'm a Playah, Bro? :P

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Errrrrrrmm Newt, that was the Germans, not the french, they were allies. B):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
or fought you folks over here a few years earlier (French & Indian War in the mid 1700s).

French & Indian War (at least that's what we called it) was France vs Britain for control of territory in North America with France (and to a lesser extent, Britain) using Indian allies. It was basically the North American theater of what became the Seven Years War although it started several years before that war broadened to a general melee in Europe.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President