Dropshotting 2

JV44

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or a nice little livebait.

Ian last weekend i lost a big Perch on the tip with maggot in the same spot so mr Gudgeon may have to come into play , the thing is i wan`t a real big one drop shotting so may have to persevere Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Can you knock me up a list of stuff I need for dropshotting for next weekend please Steve :)

Matt you need some size 1 drop shot hooks some flouro in say 15lb and some savage gear dying minnows ...the ones with gold or the red streak are good in the large size ,rusty has some pinch em out of his tackle box ;):lol:

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

the thing is i wan`t a real big one drop shotting so may have to persevere Steve

I know just what you mean Steve, the method is everything. I've just recieved some new little rubber shads from Germany, just in time for the weekend. They are very similar to the cheap and cheerful ones I've been catching on, but a lot softer with more action. They have a good reputation for perch, so I'm looking forward to giving them a go.

At the moment I'd honestly choose a 2lber on the lures over a 4lber on a worm or bleak...success isn't always measured in pounds and ounces is it :) Biggest so far is 1lb 4oz, and it was the most excited I've been this season.

We should all meet up at some point before it gets into proper winter for a little perch lure fishing get together. It would be good fun, and I think we'd all get a lot out of seeing how we're all going about it, as we all pretty much started at the same time.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I know just what you mean Steve, the method is everything. I've just recieved some new little rubber shads from Germany, just in time for the weekend. They are very similar to the cheap and cheerful ones I've been catching on, but a lot softer with more action. They have a good reputation for perch, so I'm looking forward to giving them a go.

At the moment I'd honestly choose a 2lber on the lures over a 4lber on a worm or bleak...success isn't always measured in pounds and ounces is it :) Biggest so far is 1lb 4oz, and it was the most excited I've been this season.

We should all meet up at some point before it gets into proper winter for a little perch lure fishing get together. It would be good fun, and I think we'd all get a lot out of seeing how we're all going about it, as we all pretty much started at the same time.

Great idea the bit where we have had the fish is unoficially open to bank fishing after nov 1st [boat mooring area] and we are heading there Saturday in the boat so if we catch again then thats a poss or if not somewhere like Abingdon maybe as that did a bigun last winter unless you have a spot in mind .

Which site did you get the little rubber jigs from out of interest ,As well as swapping ideas it would be really good to have a go with different rods to see what they are like .

If i can lure Viney to the dark side there is another and maybe Steve Walker as well as he likes his Rubber lures oh err misses face .

TBH the weight thing aint the be all and end all as you say and even those little beggars are special as i thought after buying the gear i would struggle and then get bored of it but they helped in that not happening and now i am truly hooked .

That said i wan`t a four on it from the Thames badly and have my Perch head back on properly for the first time in a few winters ,maybe if we have a combined effort we can match Chris Plumbs efforts.....or maybe not :rolleyes: .

Have also got another bit in mind loads of bank space free fishing clean gravell bottom and tap water clear at the moment which would make a good venue for our cast and retrieve stylee ,before the floods come Face steve.

Great idea the bit where we have had the fish is unoficially open to bank fishing after nov 1st [boat mooring area] and we are heading there Saturday in the boat so if we catch again then thats a poss or if not somewhere like Abingdon maybe as that did a bigun last winter unless you have a spot in mind .

Which site did you get the little rubber jigs from out of interest ,As well as swapping ideas it would be really good to have a go with different rods to see what they are like .

If i can lure Viney to the dark side there is another and maybe Steve Walker as well as he likes his Rubber lures oh err misses face .

TBH the weight thing aint the be all and end all as you say and even those little beggars are special as i thought after buying the gear i would struggle and then get bored of it but they helped in that not happening and now i am truly hooked .

That said i wan`t a four on it from the Thames badly and have my Perch head back on properly for the first time in a few winters ,maybe if we have a combined effort we can match Chris Plumbs efforts.....or maybe not :rolleyes: .

Have also got another bit in mind loads of bank space free fishing clean gravell bottom and tap water clear at the moment which would make a good venue for our cast and retrieve stylee ,before the floods come Face steve.

I got the jigs from ebay. For about £50 I got about 50 of them (half 8cm, half 11cm) including delivery. The 11cm ones have arrived but not the 8cm ones yet, so it looks like I'm after the big ones this weekend...or the greedy little ones :rolleyes:

The light jig heads I ordered just turned up too which is good. Some bits of the river are quite snaggy and I was getting a bit low on them.

I'm going to try to come up with a way to attach a little single hook stinger to them in a way that doesn't spoil the action of the tail. I get quite a few little nips at the tails and I just want to see if they are from tiny perch or suspicious monsters. I'm pretty sure they're from the tiddlers, but it would be good to know for sure. The ones that have taken it properly have really hoovered it up!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The ones that have taken it properly have really hoovered it up!

Yep our findings are the same the rod just hoops over no or little warning ,the reason i was watching the little chap nipping at the lure up close was to see it in action to see if i could glean any tips about increasing hook ups to the nips at the tail then his big brother turned up and i kinda got disstracted in a flustered panic moment of Ok Chris Plumb eat this but the bloody thing didn`t have it and just laughed and dissapeared back to the depths abnd well the counselling should help .

Had thought of the stinger hook but as you unsure as to how to attach it without ruining the action ,Bought some tiny trebles for the zander on recomendation of Mr lush to use as Stingers if i ever get round to going downstream far enough .

Gonna have a look for the jigs now Steve .

Ps anyone heard how Hopnic is getting on??

The ones that have taken it properly have really hoovered it up!

Yep our findings are the same the rod just hoops over no or little warning ,the reason i was watching the little chap nipping at the lure up close was to see it in action to see if i could glean any tips about increasing hook ups to the nips at the tail then his big brother turned up and i kinda got disstracted in a flustered panic moment of Ok Chris Plumb eat this but the bloody thing didn`t have it and just laughed and dissapeared back to the depths abnd well the counselling should help .

Had thought of the stinger hook but as you unsure as to how to attach it without ruining the action ,Bought some tiny trebles for the zander on recomendation of Mr lush to use as Stingers if i ever get round to going downstream far enough .

Gonna have a look for the jigs now Steve .

Ps anyone heard how Hopnic is getting on??

OK you have got me interested now.

There is a river not too far from here that contains Pike Perch and Zander and this might be fun.

I can get a rod from Germany. I was thinking of this one, the River raider modern dropshot

http://www.spro.nl/catalogus2012/UK/2_Rods_12_UK.pdf Cost around 42 euro

Any suggestions on length and casting weight to use from the bank?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

OK you have got me interested now.

There is a river not too far from here that contains Pike Perch and Zander and this might be fun.

I can get a rod from Germany. I was thinking of this one, the River raider modern dropshot

http://www.spro.nl/catalogus2012/UK/2_Rods_12_UK.pdf Cost around 42 euro

Any suggestions on length and casting weight to use from the bank?

Sportsman both myself and Rusty have the DAM Calybr dropshot rods in the 14/28grm and find them fine for casting from the bank ,if you are going to fish them properly ie leave them in situ and jiggle to rod tip the longest rod possible is prob better ,we cast and slowly retrieve .

Rusty has had a couple of very energetic Pike on his pushing double figures with no dramas ,Rusty has the baby Mitchell reel off the askari site the avocet gold ul which for the money is a steal and super small .

I have a Shimano Technium 2500 which although bigger isn`t to large Steve.

Sportsman after looking at the catalogue this one appears to suit byour needs 24373-802 Zexxer S80ML - .

met up with Rusty today and he won the dropshot compition after i shot into a 4/0 lead but waqs dissqualified when later found to be using lobworms on the hook and c atching te winning fish as i hit a run on the livebait rod ,great fun also caught loads trotting and Rusty had a rudd a feat which i equaled adfter he went...top day Steve.