Dropshotting 2

JV44

I thoroughly enjoyed myself though and I like the freedom that you get with dropshotting that allows you to keep a lure in some reeds or tight to the far bank for a long time rather than it plopping in there and ten being out of there in a second or two when spinning or plug fishing. I think this is the biggest selling point for me.

Well done ATS, good fun isn't it. That's the key difference between this method and spinning, lure fishing hasn't interested me before but the ability to get a lure unto a tight spot and work it makes it more appealing. Even then you can still work the lure when retrieving so the best of both worlds really.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done ATS, good fun isn't it. That's the key difference between this method and spinning, lure fishing hasn't interested me before but the ability to get a lure unto a tight spot and work it makes it more appealing. Even then you can still work the lure when retrieving so the best of both worlds really.

Yes it certainly is. I cant wait to try it when the weather is a bit warmer and the fish are feeding more actively again. I think I need to watch a few more videos and read some articles however to give me a better idea of how to work the lure or just confirm my thoughts on how I should be doing it. I do think the one part of my setup that wasnt ideal was the weight. I felt that the weight was just too light for the rod or vice versa and I found it lifting off the bottom and moving when I didnt really want it to. What weights do you guys use?

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Yes you have both hit on the appeal for me.Traveling ultra light is a big aid in me actually going fishing these days! The method is also very versatile. As Rusty says keeping the lure in the "strike zone" (as our US cousins would say) indefinitely is a real plus especially for "ambush" predators.

And above all great fun regardless of the size of fish caught!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

What weights do you guys use?

I started with 14gms but found those too light (for the same reason you did) so now use a minimum of 20gms, sometimes 25.

Can't see the fun in this at all, seems like the touch and feel is absent from this method, the line looks very heavy, and those lures... :rolleyes:

Oh well perhaps I am in a minority of one, but I much prefer trotting a float down a glide, as nature intended...what next Ice Fishing :D

15lb Braid (used due to lack of stretch) about the same thickness as 3-4lb mono tops?

5lb Fluorocarbon?

2 1/2" - 3 1/2" soft lures?

None of the above seem that heavy to me? And TOUCH and FEEL are the be all and end all of this method! Teme are you on a windup or simply got the wrong impression here?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Not exactly Crabtree is it?

15 lb braid :o well that's just hauling Budgie, just cannot for the life of me see why you of all people too would even consider the method.

True I can't stand lure fishing end of...but this well, it's not really fishing is it?

Better off taking up darts fella :D

You really don't understand much about fishing do you?

You do however talk a great deal of bo11ox about it ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Well that's your opinion but since when had bl00dy drop shotting been a skill?

However I do have a fairly good idea of your skill set when it comes to Angling.

Unlike you I don't claim any particular skill.

I also go fishing rather than angling ;) I can just imagine my mate's response if I phoned him up and said "I say Rupert, want to go angling at the weekend?" :lol:

I offer advice on subjects that I know a bit about and keep quiet on subjects that I don't.

I would offer you that same piece of advice if I thought that there was the remotest possibility of you taking it but it seems glaringly obvious that all you want to do is irritate and annoy. No-one could be that stupid accidentaly.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Well that's your opinion but since when had bl00dy drop shotting been a skill?

Nobody's suggested that this method takes a great deal of skill TM. It's lauded as a finesse approach but that's from the land that marketed the Corvette Stingray as a nimble sports car :D

What it is, undeniably, is a method whereby a lure can be presented and worked in one spot and/or on the retrieve and I can’t think of another way of doing that. For whatever reason it seems selective in terms of species, I have caught two pike using it but many, many more perch. As ever finding big perch is the key, drop shotting allows me to grab some gear and wander along the canal casting to far bank spots without having to buy lobs. A great way to explore.

Surely there’s room for at least the acknowledgment of it in your tacklebox ;)

Rusty,

Ha ha, Why you gotta bring me in this one?

Teme man, you're preaching to the choir. Perhaps you've never coarse fished with a drop shot rig tied by me? Of course, coarse fishing can be done coarsely - that's the dictionary definition of the word - lacking in fineness or delicacy.

Before I enter the argument would you define coarse (course is your spelling?) as being a "crude method". That would mean you're saying drop shotting is lacking in intellectual subtlety, perceptivity, or a particular skill set. Is that what you're saying? We "drop shotters" have no intellect, or skill?

Heck, My hand thrown salmon spears, while crude require intellect and skill. First twenty time you throw one I bet you would only wound the fish. You have to visually learn to adjust for the water when you throw spears. And, some spears are better than others, few are available commercially. You have to be a pretty good craftsman as well.

I love to insult in a intellectual way, can take a few shots as well. If your posts aren't insulting what are they? Intellectual?

Phone

ATS, it's more likely your rod rather than weight that's the issue. Proper drop-shot rods have a very fine spliced tip which allows you to work the lure without moving the weight.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music