Dropshotting 2

JV44

ATS there are a few of us newbie`s at dropshotting on here and i can only comment on mine and the Rustmiesters experience ,We have found find some prey fish topping pref with a clean gravelly bottom to the river and cast out and slowly retrieve/stop it retrieve again you will soon be able to tell the difference between the lead bumping bottom and the hits and nips ,Rusty does cheat and use lobworms sometimes the bounder .

Others may have found the staitionary give it a jiggle occaisionally is best ,You could also try little grubs/shads with jig heads bumped slowly across the bottom/varriede speed retrieves ,I think Anderoo has had some success at the later ,not tried that myself yet .

Good luck whatever method and post up the piccys Steve.

Cheers for that Steve. Well the river I will be going to is a very muddy bottomed one with no gravel stretches that I am as of yet aware of. I am sure that once I start bumping a lead along the bottom that I will find a few though. It holds a good number of pike and perch too. I will most likely be trying the rubber shads first I think as I have a degree of confidence in them. I will certainly post up any findings and pics. I am hoping to maybe snare a chub on this method too as I have a feeling they will go for it.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone post up a link for buying drop shotting tackle? May have to jump on the bandwagon but not sure our local jolly tackle shop owner will stock it.

Matt, Happy Tony will have the braid and fluoro if you don't already have it but that's all. I'd say these two items are essential along with (obviously) the hooks and the lures, the rod and a compact reel are nice but not absolutely necessary to begin with. My first attempt was with mono and an Avon rod, I still caught but couldn't feel what the lure was doing, the braid will help a lot with that.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/drop-sh...7-entry705.html

Don't bother with proper drop shot leads they're too expensive, a bomb or bullet lead secured either side with shot will be fine. The hook is secured by a Palomar knot such that when the line is pulled tight the hook sticks out sideways with point uppermost, if you get it wrong the point will be downwards. Once you’ve tied the knot don’t forget to feed the tag end back through the hook eye from the top, it’ll help the hook stick out.

You could be up and running for £15 if you have the braid & fluoro.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Matt i have a couple of spare dropshot hooks and some small lures if you wana try them?? ,We are out on the boat to Goring again at the weekend so either pick em up from me tommorow night or Friday night at our island or Saturday from Goring .

Let me know if want them Steve.

Ps try Tadley Angling they are not much that far distance wise have a good selection of gear in there and you allways get a cuppa and served by a guy that does not leave you felling suicidal ...........................................................

Edited by JV44

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

viney,

If you want to try the internet - the hooks are called "standout" hooks in the US. Also see (Google) "stacker rigs" I've never seen a lead jig head already attached?

Phone

Edited by Phone

All,

Also, I don't know if you've seen this one. It is an ICAST 2011 best in show product.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/VMC_Spinsho...page-VMCSS.html

Phone

Yes seen them mate but dont know anyone who has used them.Definately be worth a pack to try though. Especially when I start playing with wire rigs for pike.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yes seen them mate but dont know anyone who has used them.Definately be worth a pack to try though. Especially when I start playing with wire rigs for pike.

I had thought of them for that purpose as well Budgie but up to now we have found the drop shotting amazingly selctive for Perch ,Guess i will have to get some for when it gets colder in case the Pike then become more active hunting wise than the Perch? .

I am guessing you would need to tie a few up ready as they are likely top get trashed and go all curly wurly after a Pike ?Ruining the look presentation after? .

Got some shads coming to trycrawl em along the bottom style Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: