Dropshotting 2

JV44

TM if you have an inherent dislike in all things lures why do you insist on wading into a thread about lure fishing that has no interest for you and start being a complete arse just for the sake of it. Have you really got nothing better to do than troll on this forum. Im sick to the back teeth of seeing your name pop up with posts that just derail others threads and trying to get peoples backs up. If you haven't got anything helpful to say or contribute other than 'I have an inherent dislike for all thing lures' then just don't say anything. In case you hadn't noticed there are few on here who can even be bothered to entertain you anymore so if you have nothing good to say just jog on.

NOTE TO THE FORUM: PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ATS, it's more likely your rod rather than weight that's the issue. Proper drop-shot rods have a very fine spliced tip which allows you to work the lure without moving the weight.

I might try it with a tip rod next time just to see if that makes a difference before I go out and spend money on a specific dropshot rod. I do think that the weights could be a bit larger however. Where do you guys get your weights from?

I might try it with a tip rod next time just to see if that makes a difference before I go out and spend money on a specific dropshot rod. I do think that the weights could be a bit larger however. Where do you guys get your weights from?

It will make a big difference. I've never yet had to use anything over 10g except at Rutland in a 15mph wind in 60ft of water, where I went up to 20g :D

I forget where I got my weights, either amg or lure world I think (both on the web) but I think the better option is to get some drop-shot swivels and cheap clips and use those instead. They're very cheap and you can then just clip on your normal weights in whatever size you like. I think amg sell the drop-shot swivels.

My opinion on drop-shotting has changed over the last year, I actually think when the water is warm and the fish active, jigging with little soft plastics is the more effective way of catching perch. Drop-shotting is a finesse method and to get the takes in these circumstances you need to work the lure a lot, which kind of defeats the point of it. However, if fishing to a feature where you want to keep a lure in one position, or when the fish are lethargic, cold, or just not feeding that hard, drop-shotting is the way to catch them. I now see the method as a way to scratch out a result on hard days.

Substituting the lure for a lob and disecting the water in front of you is also a very good way to explore a new stretch of river or bit of lake, as it relies less on the skill of presenting the lure in the right way, and is a weed-free presentation. I tried this last weekend and it was very effective.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

What a stupid reaction, it was my take on it , and you go off on one, I was not condemning anyone, in fact I was rather having a dig at myself, but you obviously can't see that.and really this is just another indication as to the demise of AN when the favoured response is one of attack mode with little in the way of a constructive reply.

Troll indeed.

TM - have you ever seen the tackle first-hand or tried using it? It seems like your opinions are based on false assumptions.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

What a stupid reaction, it was my take on it , and you go off on one, I was not condemning anyone, in fact I was rather having a dig at myself, but you obviously can't see that.and really this is just another indication as to the demise of AN when the favoured response is one of attack mode with little in the way of a constructive reply.

Troll indeed.

Well I apologise if I took your post the wrong way TM but it seems to me that 95% of your posts recently have just been designed to be contradictory and inflammatory. Almost every thread that I have seen you comment on bar one has ended up in an argument with you involved that bears little significance nor contributes to the actual thread. And Anderoos comment is exactly what I think too. You seem to belittle things and pass judgement on things that you have never tried yourself!

And constructive reply. Is that what you claim you have been doing recently?!

TM, as you made clear earlier in the thread, and when you rolled up on this one to make similar comments, you don't like lure fishing. So what is it that you hope to gain from or contribute to a discussion about a lure fishing technique, other than to pee on someone else's parade?

What rods are you chaps using? Anderoo, you bought a Fox, didn't you?

Ive got a DAM Calyber Dropshot and one Ive made from an old quiver tip rod. The DAM one is brilliant (for the price) but tends to be a bit short from the bank ( 7 1/2') The one I made from the quiver rod comes out just a fraction under 9' as I have trimmed the blank from both ends to give me the action and length I want (well think I want as its all still very new to me!)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

My opinion on drop-shotting has changed over the last year, I actually think when the water is warm and the fish active, jigging with little soft plastics is the more effective way of catching perch. Drop-shotting is a finesse method and to get the takes in these circumstances you need to work the lure a lot, which kind of defeats the point of it. However, if fishing to a feature where you want to keep a lure in one position, or when the fish are lethargic, cold, or just not feeding that hard, drop-shotting is the way to catch them. I now see the method as a way to scratch out a result on hard days.

I think its to easy to get a bit blinded into thinking drop shotting is just for working a lure in one place. On the recommendation of a German mate Ive tried quite a few different "drop shotting" techniques now. The most successful one she recommended was to actually very slowly retrieve the rig whilst still working the lure with the rod tip held high. more of a "bottom bouncing" method maybe but I found this more productive when the Perch were actively hunting and chasing rather than just ambushing.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!