My Record Wild brown trout from the TWEED

cannibalspinners

My first look at this thread, (I should have known better).

Cannibil, nice fish, and take no notice of the 'nay sayers', I hope you and your friends enjoyed your meal.

As far as many 'modern thinking' anglers are concerned, 'conservation' means keeping the fish stocks up, and that's it.

Oh and Neil, speaking as someone who has fished for barbel for nearly 50yrs, I say you are talking rubbish when you say there are few recaptures, it happens all the time.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go ahead ignore me and the fact that I replied to your comments about several aspects of Barbel fishing and fish welfare that was relevant enough for you to bring up. It is no good doing that and not standing your ground on the subject, instead you revert to name calling, and at the same lo and behold you become the mater of the art in the catching of Barbel.

And you call me a fraud?

Once again you make things up and then attribute them to someone else.

I went barbel fishing once a year for around 4 years. I caught a few barbel.

I only mentioned it because you insisted

I see nothing in that that would make me claim to be a master of the art of catching barbel.

We have a few on here that claim to be solely concerned with fish welfare. It is the most important thing in angling to them.

B****cks

If fish welfare was that important you wouldn't be an angler.

The welfare of the fish comes a very poor second to your selfish desire to fish for and catch it.

It also trails well behind your selfish desire to weigh and photograph and otherwise b**ger about with it once you have it on the bank.

Now I'm quite happy to accept that.

I like fishing and I like catching fish.

I will keep one to eat if it is appropriate and I carry the appropriate tool to despatch a fish quickly and humanely.

The fish I return I handle as carefully as possibly and return them in the best possible condition in the circumstances.

I accept the fact that some may die after I return them. If I couldn't accept that I would have to give up fishing.

I understand that others may not feel the same way and I am happy to leave them to their delusion, as long as they leave me to mine.

Some others on here should find out a bit about what conservation actually means.

What is does not mean is that nothing should ever be killed.

Proper conservation invariably means that animals / fish should and will be killed to benefit the system as a whole.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Once again you make things up and then attribute them to someone else.

I went barbel fishing once a year for around 4 years. I caught a few barbel.

I only mentioned it because you insisted

I see nothing in that that would make me claim to be a master of the art of catching barbel.

We have a few on here that claim to be solely concerned with fish welfare. It is the most important thing in angling to them.

B****cks

If fish welfare was that important you wouldn't be an angler.

The welfare of the fish comes a very poor second to your selfish desire to fish for and catch it.

It also trails well behind your selfish desire to weigh and photograph and otherwise b**ger about with it once you have it on the bank.

Now I'm quite happy to accept that.

I like fishing and I like catching fish.

I will keep one to eat if it is appropriate and I carry the appropriate tool to despatch a fish quickly and humanely.

The fish I return I handle as carefully as possibly and return them in the best possible condition in the circumstances.

I accept the fact that some may die after I return them. If I couldn't accept that I would have to give up fishing.

I understand that others may not feel the same way and I am happy to leave them to their delusion, as long as they leave me to mine.

Some others on here should find out a bit about what conservation actually means.

What is does not mean is that nothing should ever be killed.

Proper conservation invariably means that animals / fish should and will be killed to benefit the system as a whole.

Splendid...good sense and honesty.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I don't dodge questions but do sometimes ignore them if they are not relevant to the discussion, or particularly stupid.

Yes, I have fishd for and caught barbel. In fact I caught my first barbel at the age of 16 in 1964 on the Hampshire Avon. My father and uncle took me barbel fishing every year until I got a bit older and discovered girls

Bait was a lobworm (pre-pellets and boilies) and of course barbel were proper wild fish in those days and not widely (some would say over) stocked, as they are now. It was also before they became trendy ;)

Later in life I moved to Scotland (no barbel) and so my fishing revolved around trout and salmon on rivers like the Tweed, Tay, Spey and Dee as well as the North and South Esk.

Since I got back into coarse fishing opportunities to fish for barbel were thin on the ground although I did catch several on the River Lot in France last year.

Now that I have answered your question in some detail might I ask what it has to do with the discussion about killing a trout on the Tweed or why it makes a difference to "fish welfare" or "modern angling"

Teme man (or rabbit or whatever you are calling yourself at the moment) you are a fraud. You know and understand much less than you think you do but you don't let that prevent you from pontificating and telling anyone who will listen what they are doing wrong.

You are best ignored.

Record Fish Barbel Weight - 9lb 8oz (4.310 kg)

Where Caught - River Clyde, Strathclyde

Date of Capture - 10 October 2010

Captor - Steven Wilson, East Kilbride

Method of Capture - 12ft quiver rod, 10lb mainline, 8lb hook length, block end feeder with hemp and maggots, size 12 hook with worm and maggot cocktail

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Record Fish Barbel Weight - 9lb 8oz (4.310 kg)

Where Caught - River Clyde, Strathclyde

Date of Capture - 10 October 2010

Captor - Steven Wilson, East Kilbride

Method of Capture - 12ft quiver rod, 10lb mainline, 8lb hook length, block end feeder with hemp and maggots, size 12 hook with worm and maggot cocktail

Sorry

I should have said "no barbel anywhere near where I lived"

I had the Dee, Spey and Tay on my doorstep and anyone would drive for a while to fish the Tweed.

TBH I wouldn't drive that far to fish for barbel.

Having said that there is a river about 2 hours south of here where there is a good chance of catching one so I suppose I had better stock up on the pellets ;)

Sorry

I should have said "no barbel anywhere near where I lived"

I had the Dee, Spey and Tay on my doorstep and anyone would drive for a while to fish the Tweed.

TBH I wouldn't drive that far to fish for barbel.

Having said that there is a river about 2 hours south of here where there is a good chance of catching one so I suppose I had better stock up on the pellets ;)

cool man

did you know that there are barbel in the tay around Perth harbour as-well as a good head of large roach 2 to 3.5 lb

chub in the annan ruff/ dace/carp & possibly zander in loch lomond

carp perch pike barbel in the river Almond (west lothian)

most if not all of them introduced by mistake or intention .

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

I think this is my all time favourite sentence in the history of AN.

Rich

I see what you mean, and it sounds daft, however I think we all know that he means 'illegitimate'/unautherised' stocking.

It has been like that here too, we have ruffe, dace and a significant head of roach in the local lakes, and reportedly bream, chub and even (ugh) carp. Although I haven't emcountered or seen any of the latter species. These new additions have been attributed to the increased use of motor cars, the M6 motorway and live baiting (now banned in the park...stable doors and bolting horses spring to mind).

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

cool man

did you know that there are barbel in the tay around Perth harbour as-well as a good head of large roach 2 to 3.5 lb

chub in the annan ruff/ dace/carp & possibly zander in loch lomond

carp perch pike barbel in the river Almond (west lothian)

most if not all of them introduced by mistake or intention .

I never knew about the barbel in the Tay but I caught a few of the Roach, usually when I was fishing for Grayling a bit higher up.

The big shoals of roach around Perth harbour were when the grain ships used to dock there in the 60s / 70s.

I heard stories of bags of 3 lbers and even the odd 4lber being caught. I also heard that the majority were netted out in the 70s

I understand that they had been introduced by english dock workers during the war.

There has always been the story about Ruffe being introduced to Loch Lomond as left over livebait by English Pikers. I have yet to meet a piker who would use ruffe as livebait from choice, let alone transport them all the way to Scotland in sufficient quantity to establish a breeding population.

I see what you mean, and it sounds daft, however I think we all know that he means 'illegitimate'/unautherised' stocking.

It has been like that here too, we have ruffe, dace and a significant head of roach in the local lakes, and reportedly bream, chub and even (ugh) carp. Although I haven't emcountered or seen any of the latter species. These new additions have been attributed to the increased use of motor cars, the M6 motorway and live baiting (now banned in the park...stable doors and bolting horses spring to mind).

I was feeder fishing today in my lake, catching mostly Roach and a few small carp. last fish of the day was a tentative bite that then took off down the lake at a rate of knots.

It turned out to be a pristine 17lb (yes, I weighed it :P ) mirror carp

On a light feeder rod and size 16 to 4lb line it took about 10 minutes to land and how anyone who enjoys fishing and catching fish could say a fight like that isn't enjoyable defeats me. Now if it was a barbel it would be different I bet ;)