My Record Wild brown trout from the TWEED

cannibalspinners

Well I have read the whole thread and have seen nothing to support the TMs case at all. It's all 'none of you are as clued up as me'

It is my belief and that of several others on AN that TM is Rabbit come back from his ban with a new username. I wouldn't take any notice of him, he's well known as the forum troll. His mission is simply to disrupt threads - many think he doesn't even go fishing and is actually a member of PETA. He certainly seems ignorant of all aspects of fishing.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have read the whole thread and have seen nothing to support the TMs case at all. It's all 'none of you are as clued up as me' we all like to think we are the best at what we do but there does seem to be some "blagging" going on !!!

My point was and still is Emma that you seem cut and paste an awful lot to try and get your point across, and lets be honest in to-days cyber world there is any amount of 'evidence' out there to support any theory or notion, and yet you call me a 'Blagger' because I base a lot of what I say from my own instincts and beliefs. They may not concur with yours but they are mine, and I have the ownership on them and not someone else's I have to borrow from the 'net.

You have a long lost of personal comments made to me, and you keep adding, Blagger and Hiding behind the keyboard the latest contributions :) and why you should do this I don't know, you have a well formed and eloquent manner, and there would be no need for all this anger, in fact Emma it does you no favours at all.

As I said it is the Season of Goodwill, I wish you well.

Bringing outside eveidence into a debate is how its done, whether the area is a court room, or in an academic setting, computers enable us to quickly transmit large amounts of data by the simple process of cut and paste, that doesnt make that data any less valid, why do you have a problem in understanding that? Throughout you have failed to give us a single scrap of verifiable information, instead relying upon this waffy notion of your beliefs and 'instincts' and made up percentages as all that is needed to convince anyone of your case.

As for 'personal' we (and some others) know where you are going there. Anything I say here I would in real time, open and forthright, not hiding behind thinly veiled digs of an especially immature or just plain nasty nature, and which have nothing to do with the subject matter.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Oh I don't know, he makes some good points, besides it wouldn't do if we all agreed would it? Personally I think that catch and release is the way to go and that is the way angling has and is going.

I have read your posts since joining and it is of no surprise you cannot support TM.

"how do you work that out"??

Without upsetting people any further

But my 32 lb Salmon

taken on the Gala water

a feeder stream to the tweed

was also despatched

though for good reason

I hooked this fish on 6lb breaking strain nylon

with a trout fly ( Silver march brown )

The fight went on for nearly 2 hours

the fish took me more than an estimated 1000 yards downstream in that time

as i beached the fish , as my net was way too small

i could see it was completely beaten

i actually spent 1/2 an hour trying to revive this fish

but it never did recover

everytime i let it go it just turned belly up

I too was knackered

so after 45 mins after the battle the fish was taken

and was eaten by many people

my mother is warden at a care home

and all the residents ate some

over 50 people live there

there was still enough left for myself & neighbours & friends too eat

Now i think i can see how jesus fed so many

Seriously though had i put this fish back it would of just died in the river

and as i had paid for my salmon fishing , I felt no shame in taking it for the pot

Good for you!

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

It's all about opinion

Go on then...your turn :)

It’s just funny what fishing has come to, every time you cast a line in the water you run risk of your potential catch not surving its ordeal.

One of my best memories as a child was fishing with my grandfather and returning home with a 3 pound "brownie had caught myself and couldn’t wait to show my family, I had no qualms of killing it for the table then, I don’t now.

A lot has been said about "catch and release" as the "way to go"

Please note that contrary to popular opinion, C & R does NOT appease "antis" - in fact there is a widespread feeling amongst the chattering classes, (ie people that are either law-makers or have undue influence on law-makers) that catching fish to eat is just about tolerable, but catching fish just to weigh, photograph and release is cruel.

Lots of anglers just don't understand that mentality - but they need to. In the end, angling laws will be made , not by anglers, but by vote-seeking politicians - and anglers do not have that many votes compared with the media-led masses.

So be VERY CAREFUL what you wish for.

Catch and release was largely illegal in Germany last time I looked (we need an update - 2010 or later - on current angling law in that country - can anyone oblige?)

If that should happen here, having banned taking many fish for the table, a ban on C & R would leave anglers in England and Wales with no option but to fish elsewhere.

Don't say it couldn't happen here - the recent Coalition has shown that "Liberal" principles, promises and traditions count for nothing beside the prospect of power.

Something has been said about "hypocrisy" "self-righteousness" etc etc

Consider

Most Cyprinids are unpalatable to native Brits, so we don't eat them.

I put all my roach back - nothing particularly meritorious about that.

A pity that so many anglers think they merit beatification for returning inedible fish

Wild Salmonids are delicious, and I have eaten lots of them - but I catch many more than I could possibly eat, so most go back, - nothing particularly meritorious about that either.

Now the extreme case - Marlin fishing. An expensive hobby. Travel, accommodation, charter-boat hire. However, a couple of good-sized marlin, sold to a Japanese restaurant chain, could show a handsome profit on the cost of a week's marlin fishing.

However, all the marlin fishers I know tag and return marlin as a matter of course. Putting back an inedible bream is one thing - but putting back a marlin worth well into four figures in both pounds weight and pounds value in sterling is something else.

...and off topic, just for Poledark. Yes I remember being pestered by ruffe on the middle Medway in the 1960s

They are few and far between these days, but I had one (by design) from below Tonbridge in 2009 whilst engaged in a species hunt - damned hard work it was too - had to search a couple of dozen deep pools before I found one.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Vagabond,

Excellent post. Had to come from a Brit. I'd get killed saying that.

FWIW, a lot of "C&R" over here is considered arrogant and uppity. To dam lazy to clean, prepare and eat what the "gentlemen" catches.

I've seen carp "released" in venues that were overstocked by 10,000%. How sporting is that?

Phone

Den (et al) ,When on an "away trip" (as indeed for the greater majority of pikers Lommond is) after all the expence,preperation of equipment and planning............the LAST thing any piker I know (and I suspect you as well!) would do is not sort out decent bait! Now whether they choose to go out and catch some to take or simply arrange to stop off at the trout farm at Lockerbie on the way (for most) it dont matter but to take a tub of to small,not particularly strong working and lets face it not the easiest of fish species to catch a few buckets of (as they aint that common) Ruffe just doesnt ring true to me to be honest and never has!

I bet there is hardly anyone on hear that hasnt got somewhere they can go locally to catch 30 odd bait sized roach easily enough but I wouldnt mind betting that there is NO ONE that can go and get 30 odd bait sizee Ruffe! Dont even need to argue if they are any good as bait or not or if pikers would let enough go to start a breeding population isthere realy?

And BTW for the record I dont think Emma was sugesting this was the case ,just that it is an often aired theorey.

A theorey which (like a lot of other fishery management/freshwater biology "rubbish") was put forward by some students looking for a good end of course paper!

However totally irellevant to this thread!

For what its worth (and as it is just one individuals personal choice so therefore totally worthless!) I return most sizes of most species alive but if I ever do want one to kill (be it for the table or research) I tend to take an average sized run of the mill fish to "limit" (or should I say lessen) any impact my actions will have.

As Dave says C&R is far more harmfull to anglings public image than kill to eat strangely enough.But it should be remembered when we call for bans on taking fish and indeed when we want to put down/try to take the moral high ground over those who have made a different (but still legal) personal choice to our own.

As in a lot of disscussions that turn into arguments on AN once again the different posters locations and angling situations seem to be forgotten.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Re Medway Ruffe,yes I still get a few when trotting with light tackle and maggots. In the summer I expect to catch 75-100 small fish in a session.Often (especially along the stretch up from Allington Lock) this can be a mixed bag with a wide variety of species,roach,chub,bream,perch,dace,trout but very rarely more than 2 or 3 ruffe.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!