Who's out on boxing day?

Norfolkdipper

Bit of an annual tradition with me, since a boy,( never have really grown up). I was wonderimng who else plans on a session on Boxing day. I am planning a day on the Bure at Woodbastwick, Norfolk. Fished great in the summer, before the boats come out. Now the boats are not relevant, I am keen to see how it fishes. As the water has a 2 rod, (in water), limit, My aproach will be to have 2 small feeders out & a deadbait rod set up to change to. Bait will be ;- mixed maggs, worms, bread & meat. With 2 bags of groundbait. not that I expect to use it all. Weather forecast is 10'C, dry with a wind from behind me, so should be just right & I hope the rise in tempreture brings them on feeding again.

I also have this crazy idea to have a hook both above & below the feeder to start. This I hope, with different baits on, will half the time & casts needed to find the right one. Any comments please !!!

2012 Plans

Well plans or dreams, I can't tell.

1) Well it is my 50th in May, so first is a 9 day, birthday trip to Ireland.

2) Visit as many waters as possible. Possible as a 2 or 3 part 'Grand Tour'.

3) Replace ALL my tackle, bit by bit.

4) To actually make it to 'Tackle Fest' at Peterborough. At last..

5) Learn new tactics

So that makes 2 questions to keep you thinking:- Boxing day & 2012 plans, I await your comments & replies.

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of an annual tradition with me, since a boy,( never have really grown up). I was wonderimng who else plans on a session on Boxing day. I am planning a day on the Bure at Woodbastwick, Norfolk. Fished great in the summer, before the boats come out. Now the boats are not relevant, I am keen to see how it fishes. As the water has a 2 rod, (in water), limit, My aproach will be to have 2 small feeders out & a deadbait rod set up to change to. Bait will be ;- mixed maggs, worms, bread & meat. With 2 bags of groundbait. not that I expect to use it all. Weather forecast is 10'C, dry with a wind from behind me, so should be just right & I hope the rise in tempreture brings them on feeding again.

I also have this crazy idea to have a hook both above & below the feeder to start. This I hope, with different baits on, will half the time & casts needed to find the right one. Any comments please !!!

2012 Plans

Well plans or dreams, I can't tell.

1) Well it is my 50th in May, so first is a 9 day, birthday trip to Ireland.

2) Visit as many waters as possible. Possible as a 2 or 3 part 'Grand Tour'.

3) Replace ALL my tackle, bit by bit.

4) To actually make it to 'Tackle Fest' at Peterborough. At last..

5) Learn new tactics

So that makes 2 questions to keep you thinking:- Boxing day & 2012 plans, I await your comments & replies.

Boxing day was always one to be out, it used to be with the hunt. I have been loose feeding (old deadbaits and assorted bits of fish) into an accessable for me part of a smallish water. I shall take my eldest grandson out and fish over the area, he can try out some of his xmas presents and get some fresh air if nothing else.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

We are out on our narrow boat for a few days from Boxing day ,Looking for a quite bit of the Thames with a decent boozer nearby....oh and the fishing rods are coming to .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Where does this Boxing Day sporting tradition come from? I played hockey years ago and the club held the annual men v ladies match on Boxing Day, it was a brutal affair, very un-Christmassy. I'll be out fishing this year with fewer bruises to show for it no doubt.

No specific 2012 plans, provided the Kennet has some water there's still plenty of it for me to learn about.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Where does this Boxing Day sporting tradition come from? I played hockey years ago and the club held the annual men v ladies match on Boxing Day, it was a brutal affair, very un-Christmassy. I'll be out fishing this year with fewer bruises to show for it no doubt.

No specific 2012 plans, provided the Kennet has some water there's still plenty of it for me to learn about.

Without looking it up, I believe its a religious thing, people were not allowed to hunt/shoot on the sabbath and xmas day (still not for game shoots) playing footy etc was not allowed either, so boxin day was good...its been a holiday for a long time, and no biblical restrictions on havin a good time, 'untin, shootin', fishin; footy races etc...

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

We have family here until the day after boxing day, so no fishing for me for another little while. Between then and going back to work on the 3rd, I am aiming to be out chubbing - but first I have to do a tour of all the local and not so local rivers to find one worth the effort. I'm sure I'll find something, I'm desperate for some chub fishing, I've been waiting all year for it!

2012 plans, that's a bit trickier. A few things are a bit up in the air at the moment so I don't have many firm plans yet, but I will definitely be lure fishing for the reservoir zander again once they open up for predator fishing in the autumn. I had my first few goes at it this year, and really enjoyed it. Without doubt, THE way to fish for zander!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

2012, I hope to be able to contine training up the next generation. 9 year old grandson, this year he started properly, learned in spring and early summer how to use a whip for small roach, skimmers etc. Then onto boating, how to row and steer and onto using spinning gear to catch pike. I am cautious bout taking him out too many times in the winter which may well be blanks. dont want to sicken him at the moment he is quite full of it. I might take him to an 'easy' carp water just to experience the species. He is also keen the knock something on the head and have me show him how to cook it for his mother and brother, I shall take him to a (bait allowed) trout fishery over these school holidays and show him how to cast a fly by easter. We summer holiday in the south west and he wants to go out on a sharking boat, so that might happen too.

Unfortunately my boxing day plans involve the in laws. I am hoping that after going to their house for the morning I might get out for a spot of dead baiting on the canal. It seems like forever since I was last out and fishing.

2012 plans rather depend on whether I hear back from a club that I applied for almost 2 years ago. They have a very long waiting list and for good reason. I dare say that the Ribble will feature heavily in my plans as usual though and I also plan to spend some more time targetting the perch on the drop shotting gear.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Boxing day was always a big day out on the pheasant shooting syndicate I belonged to but I don't do that any more.

I will probably go fishing for 2 or 3 hours on my lake.

2012 has a lot of possibilities.

I have joined a local fishing club and they hold matches every month all over Normandy and parts of the Loire valley, so I will have to buy a keepnet. Having only ever fished one match in my life before it might prove interesting.

I also want to get on terms with my local river which holds carp over 40lb and cats over 120lb. Have to get the big guns out I think.

There is a river an hours drive South which I'm told holds a plentiful supply of Barbel so may try that to see what all of the fuss is about.

I also intend to work on the fly fishing for Rudd and Carp on my lake.

So much fishing, so little time :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/