Two Tone gets fatter

Peter M

So Two Tone, the massive carp in CONingbrooke has got even fatter. so what I hear you say! well this means that the Carp record has been broken and the angling mags are going overboard with their superlatives. Anyone else think that this one fish putting on blubber is really nothing special, and anglers actually targeting this fish are just a little sad?

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Careful with the 'little sad' verdict, mate.

When you analise angling, we are all just a teensy bit tragic. Grown men, spending untold amounts of precious money and time to catch fish, then return them.

Think on.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

its a case of whatever floats your boat i suppose. Personally for me i think its a joke and not just because its a record carp, i find the idea of named fish, whatever the species a bit ridiculous.

Breaking the record is important to some but i think its a bit sad that it could be broken just because two tone has eaten a few more boilies, i see no merit in that whatsoever.

As for some species its even a travesty to be a named fish, Barbel for instance - just wrong

Its like catching your pet goldfish in my book. Prefer my fly fishing, but part of the delight of coarse fishing is not knowing what your going to get.... surely? Maybe I'm wrong...

I've seen Conningbrook, though not fished it, obviously. Frankly, anyone that can catch fish from a water so rich in natural food supply and such a small head of fish anyway deserves congratulation, not condemnation. Two-Tone has been caught as often as not on natural baits rather than boilies in the past, so Peter M's comment may be a little harsh.

Anyone that considers Lee Jackson 'a little sad' because he has targetted and caught 'named' fish does the man a serious disservice. A nicer, more generous and sincere bloke in angling I haven't met. He has time for everyone and is generous to a fault with free advice whatever your skill level, apart from which he a class angler in other areas than carp fishing and isn't a bad writer either.

OK, the same possibly can't be said of everyone that's caught Two-Tone, on that I'm not qualified to comment, but specimen fish have long been named - so what's people's problem with that? After all, we've all got names. What has irritated me is tarring one of the sport's decent blokes with so broad a brush.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Sorry if people though i was being harsh about the anglers invovled. my real target is the angling mags who really big this up out of all proportion. when dick walker broke the carp record in 1952 it changed angling for ever. nowedays I feel the record is a bit devalued. It is a bit like when michael shumacher kept winning all the F1 races, when only one fish can break the record it is a bit boring.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Well said Alan! Once again we seem to have the anti-carp brigade out in full strength! If someone doesn't fish for specimen carp - and therefore has no idea what that might involve - then I feel they should keep their comments to themselves. As carp can be distinguished from each other - by scale pattern variations for example - it is more noticeable when a repeat capture occurs. As most other species of fish all look very similar (except perhaps older fish that might carry some distinguishing marks) it is virtually impossible to tell if a capture is a repeat. This does not mean that those that name fish they recognise are "sad" and I think it somewhat bigotted that people feel that they can make such statements. If you enjoy your fishing then stick to that - leave the pointless attacks on others to the mindless thugs, racists and such like. :mad: :mad: :mad:

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....

Each to their own style and taste. But the mere thought of camping out for days (even weeks) on end hoping that a familiar and clearly overweight fish will pick up my manufactured bait amongst the tons of freebies tipped in on a regular basis makes me cringe. It's a bit like feeding up a pet turkey for Xmas.

Lying on a camp bed watching TV and waiting for an electronic device to go off and remind me that I'm actually supposed to be fishing, is not my idea of fun. In fact it isn't really fishing as most of us know it, its chasing a weight...how else do you explain the addiction of trying to catch a fish that you've already caught..in some cases several times, on the off-chance that its fatter than the last time. Late last season a few hours before dawn, I moored up on the thames opposite a friendly carp angler who didn't mind me being within 100 yards of him (rarely happens on a pike/carp lake) I watched him hook into and eventually land a long lean 24 lb mirror that took him all over the river. A real wild fish..it might have been called 'herbie' and feasted on boilies before it escaped into the river but that part of its sad life was long gone and it was caught without the aid of a TV, alarms and bedchair....with boat traffic on saturdays you can't afford to sleep. The guy sat with his rods for over ten hours, part of which was in darkness. A lot of the guys I've seen fishing for carp at carp/pike lakes like the Linear Fisheries and Suffolk Water Park wouldn't have had the attention span to manage a session like that.

Lee Jackson Alan ? Wasn't he Rod Stewart in disguise ?

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

argyll:

Lee Jackson Alan ? Wasn't he Rod Stewart in disguise ?

Nah! He was the Python and known to live in a Broken Dream!

Gerry, we're showing our age here. Be careful!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

It's all Dick Walkers fault!

If he had knocked his carp on the head and had her stuffed like a proper angler none of this 'repeat / new record' B.S would be going on.

Dont we all chase 'records'? first fish from a new water, first / best on x rod, lightest tackle.....most blanks per season...

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.