Braid bargains?

AddictedToScopex

Tigger,

I'm with you. Not saying it's a better product, but I feel better. I just bite the bullet and try to amortize the additional cost gradually. Say, by the cast or by the fish. Makes me feel better. You used the right word - confidence.

Phone

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used all sorts of braid including Rapala that is silky smooth and has a different construction to conventional braids, a Berkely Crystal braid that resembled horsehair with a steel spring core. After ten sessions it still corkscrewed all over the place so I gave it pride of place in my wheelie bin. I finally went back in a full circle to the originl braid I had first bought - Spiderwire, which I have total confidence in, and the Chinese braid on eBay appears identical to it. I've certainly no complaints

Regards, Clive

I've used all sorts of braid including Rapala that is silky smooth and has a different construction to conventional braids, a Berkely Crystal braid that resembled horsehair with a steel spring core. After ten sessions it still corkscrewed all over the place so I gave it pride of place in my wheelie bin. I finally went back in a full circle to the originl braid I had first bought - Spiderwire, which I have total confidence in, and the Chinese braid on eBay appears identical to it. I've certainly no complaints

Well I have decided to buy a cheap spool simply to see for myself. At the end of the day if it does turn out to be pony then I havent wasted all that much money and will know for the future. I will of course post up what I think of it when it comes.

As most say it is a confidence thing with me. If I see a name I trust then in general I would trust the line. I have this same hang up buying mono although most cheap mono I have seen has been really poor and the spool it came on seemed to be worth more.

Anyway coming back to the original post does anyone know of a decent cheaper translucent braid? Having seen NicePix mention the coiling problem with the crystal I think I would give that a very wide berth. I couldnt think of anything worse than that. I suppose that could be the issue with clear braid as I assume it is simply incredibly thin strands of mono woven together rather than textile fibres?

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

The braid I have is soft and supple.

I have 0.18 / 20lb BS. I use it instead of 0.18 / 4lb BS mono. That's a "confidence" factor of X 5

How much confidence do you need?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I tried Fireline Crystal after hearing good things about it, but soon grew to dislike it. It's pretty thick stuff and quite stiff initially as it has a kind of waxy coating. Once the coating has worn off it then starts to go fuzzy. I don't think it affects BS but it's not ideal, especially when trotting. Also, don't believe the claims of translucency - it's white! I don't know how you could get a genuinely translucent braid?

After that I tried Power Pro, and haven't looked back. For me, it's just better in every way. I haven't tried any others though, so can't comment on them. I'll be interested to see how you get on with the 'no-name' stuff - keep us posted.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I tried Fireline Crystal after hearing good things about it, but soon grew to dislike it. It's pretty thick stuff and quite stiff initially as it has a kind of waxy coating. Once the coating has worn off it then starts to go fuzzy. I don't think it affects BS but it's not ideal, especially when trotting. Also, don't believe the claims of translucency - it's white! I don't know how you could get a genuinely translucent braid?

After that I tried Power Pro, and haven't looked back. For me, it's just better in every way. I haven't tried any others though, so can't comment on them. I'll be interested to see how you get on with the 'no-name' stuff - keep us posted.

Well by translucent I didnt really mean totally clear. Just a lot less visible than dark coloured stuff.

Yes I will certainly post up when I get it. I know sportsman has already given his opinion and I think another opinion couldnt hurt.

Definitely, the more the merrier!

The PP I use for both trotting and lure fishing is bright yellow, so I wouldn't worry about trying to hide it. In fact the reason it's bright yellow is so I can see it easily, which really helps with line control when trotting and bite indication when lure fishing. I'd be interested to hear what others think though?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Definitely, the more the merrier!

The PP I use for both trotting and lure fishing is bright yellow, so I wouldn't worry about trying to hide it. In fact the reason it's bright yellow is so I can see it easily, which really helps with line control when trotting and bite indication when lure fishing. I'd be interested to hear what others think though?

Braid colour has always been one thing that has made me think. You do hear of people using some bizarre colours and I suppose they still catch. I will start a new thread on it so that this one doesnt go too off track.

another vote for power pro braid

i dont ever want to spend lots of money on fishing tackle on delkim and fox alarms and the most expensive shimano or daiwa reels but i will not cut costs on the best hooks and best line

you only need 3 things to catch a best fish

hook

line

bait

if you dont have much money spend it all on those 3 things

nothing else matters the rest is just down to whether you are a good angler or a bad angler

so what i want to saw is buy good braid even if it is expensive you can save money on all the stuff you dont real need.

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

azrael,

I believe DuPont still maks synthetic ANSO in cap sticks. Don't need any of the above with it. Quote from DuPont handbook from 1917, """--- many shallow streams and lakes afford excellent locations for fishing.

Phone