Great Britain?

kleinboet

I work, but thankfully don't live, in Bradford and reading these posts confirms what I've been feeling over the past year or so, there's a change in the air. Were the last lot of riots the final straw? Burnley is not a million miles away and we know what happened there in recent by-elections. It all makes me a little uneasy as I've got young kids that I need to see through their schooling.

Paul

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do the MOBO (Music of black origin) awards only include black people of African descent. Are Asian blacks considered not black enough to take part!

Can someone explain to me what is meant by "Ethnic Minority" these dictionaries give these explanations.

Ethnic Eth"nicn. A heathen; a pagan. [Obs.]

No better reported than impure ethnic and lay dogs. --Milton.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Ethnic Eth"nic, Ethnical Eth"nic*al, a. [L. ethnicus, Gr. ?, fr. ? nation, ? ? the nations, heathens, gentiles: cf. F. ethnique.] 1. Belonging to races or nations; based on distinctions of race; ethnological.

2. Pertaining to the gentiles, or nations not converted to Christianity; heathen; pagan; -- opposed to {Jewish} and {Christian}.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

ethnic adj

1: denoting or deriving from or distinctive of the ways of living built up by a group of people; "influenced by ethnic and cultural ties"- J.F.Kennedy; "ethnic food" [syn: {cultural}, {ethnical}]

2: not acknowledging the God of Christianity and Judaism and Islam [syn: {heathen}, {heathenish}, {pagan}]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0

Then if Christianity is not to be taught in Schools surly we are all going to be an ETHNIC MAJORITY soon, so it follows that if you are a going to believe in God. I.E. the Church of England then you are soon to be the ETHNIC MINORITY.

Maybe we can get us own back then. :D:D

[ 15. January 2004, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

Bitsbobs

quote:

A fight between a white man and a black man (sorry, coloured)

you were right first time Blackman, we are all coloured either white, brown, black etc, coloured is classed as a racist term big piece in the Guardian not so long back.

Regards Tony.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

black man (sorry, coloured)

I really love the language thing. Colored was the term used in the US for folks of African ancestry for many years until it was declared a non-PC term and we were to use Black instead. So the use of Colored to refer to any person over here will get you branded racist. The use of Black just shows you are out of date if you happen to be an older person.

At this point I've had to switch to calling all people, people because I can't keep up with what is PC this week. Gee, I certainly hope that word never becomes a bad thing. :)

Errr - can I still call you folks Brits without causing a fuss? UKites has always seemed a little awkward. :)

[ 15. January 2004, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

i cannot see how ANYTHING you say about your own country can be racist :confused:

theres none more racist than the introduced cultures that reside here :confused:

africans hate west indians ,indians hate indians not of their caste and all of them hate the untouchables.

indians hate pakistanis ,arabs hate israelies and vice versa

serbs hate croats who hate just about everybody ,turks hate cypriots etc etc etc

your right about the mobo awards ,also the federation of black policemen (should that be policeperson)

all the "rights" groups for many non indiginouse breeds

is it racist as Kilroy says to speak the truce

i have NO problem with foreigners over here but if they want to shelter in our country they should try to respect our ways and hopefully become "british" and thus disapear into the background ,all the time they stand out by not adopting the countries customs they now live in then they draw attention to themselves ,blend in and chill out :)

working in a uni i worked with both studentsd and tutors from just about everywhere ,the only racism i met was amoungst the students (except from the far east where they were VERY polite to everybody)

[ 15. January 2004, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Surely if I was born in another country I'd like to remember my family history and also class myself as british.

I suppose I agree to some extent with Bernard Manning when he quoted this on the Mrs Merton Show a few years back:

"If a dog is born in a stable does it make it a horse?"

Newt:

Errr - can I still call you folks Brits without causing a fuss? UKites has always seemed a little awkward. :)

And I thought you called us Limeys?

quote:

Surely if I was born in another country I'd like to remember my family history and also class myself as british.

got no problem with that but they shouldnt use their "heritage" to influence or justyify having more rights than the ethnic population :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson