What's the best non-braid for Barbel?

wunwetfoot

Again, definitely 6-8lb Sensor, a brilliant line as long as you spool the reel correctly. Great abrasion resistance, cheap and tough as old boots!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is periodically a published set of results of all tested and rated lines but I can't rightly remember who by, think it was something to do with the English Tackle trade but someone will know for sure

Anyway they did a set of tests on all the leading monos to a scientific standard and they looked at all the published data, ie, stated line diameter, stated breaking strain, spool length and tested it against their findings and the stated information from the manufacturers/suppliers

There was a wide range of difference in stated diameters with a lot of manufacturers claiming smaller diameters than the mono was reading and the same with breaking strains, some mono's only reaching 60% of their stated b/s, also they tested the line strength against knot strength and published a scientific set of test results which were at odds with most lines stated figures

The lines that came out well were surprisingly enough, Stren,Sensor and Maxima, some of the trendy names were actually quite poor

For me it would be sensor too. If abrasion were'nt a major issue I would recommend diawa infinity duo as it is nice and stretchy so handles the lunges of barbel really well. I used it on a rocky river venue for a full season without any major issues but it did pick up abrasion a bit more than sensor.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Always Sensor for me. I've tried several others just in case I was missing out, but always come back to Sensor.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Brian,

Re-read my own post - pretty crappy.

All I really intended to say was there are no industry standards or laws regarding the "truth" with fisning line. Everyone and be "best" somwhere if they want. (say at 0 degrees F or something). Used to be only 5 or 6 actual line manufacturers in the world and 100's of labels. (probably the best "tests" would be lbs/sq/in - not knotte

Used to be "better" line had "better" inspection and reliability. Line testers were like accountants. Magic with their numbers.

Phone