Are you competent to drive at 80mph on the motorway?

Steve Walker

Well are you?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Are you competent to drive at 80?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Are most of us competent?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. How about over 55? Can you manage that safely?

• I can
    • Most people can
    • Nobody can

All,

I am much to old and incompetent to even be driving. I pay my taxes out of the middle of the road.

Seriously, during my working years 80% of my employees were truck drivers. 90% of my capital investment was in rolling stock. I went through 70mph - down to 55mph. 55mph is safer - and way cheaper (we are now back up to 70mph on most limited access "interstates"). Personally, I have logged probably well in excess of 2 or 3 million miles. More boring for many who are prepared but then how many accidents "are the other guys fault" or the older guys fault? I am no where near as good now as I was when I was younger. You want me to drive 80mph just trying to stay out of the way? NO WAY do you want that! NO, you're not getting my license either.

Question, what are you allowed over? The "normal" tolorance(sp) is 7mph - i.e. that would make the speed limit 87mph in America.

Phone

Your not " allowed" anything...though some will tell you it's 5% or 10%. But talking to my road traffic officer buddy he assures me its pure discretion on the side of the officer at the scene. You can be booked for 1/2 a mile an hour over if they so desire! The limit is the limit!

Most will give a bit of leniency so he reckons but don't bank on it!

Similar to the urban myths of asking officers for proof of radar gun tests prior to operational duty, and also the section booklet being available for any offender to check at the scene....sure you can ask but doing so is just more likely to **** the officers off and get you more hassle! Lol!

The trouble in the UK is that we don't teach driving at speed or enough dual carriageway or motorway driving! I personally think a car licence should be like a motorbike one, where your only aloud certain cc's until you pass more advanced tests for bigger engines etc.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So - - - -

The real question becomes 90mph doesn't it?

Now how do you answer? 55mph is safer and cheaper. Leave 5 minutes earlier.

Phone

It depends how far you have to go, but let's say 200 miles, you'd have to leave an hour and 25 minutes earlier, not 5 minutes.

I remember the petrol shortage in the 70s, there was a 50mph limit everywhere, all the major roads were nose to tail traffic all the time, I have no idea if the accident rate was any different but I certainly hated driving in the conditions created by that.

All,

I too heard it was to compensate for the curve in the earth. I am not positive of the reason.

Ayjay,

How quickly we forget. REMEMBER! now? Accidents plummeted and gas mileage skyrocketed. All those things in spite of the "road rage" you experienced whilst waiting in the gas lines at the station. (With hurry up math logic like yours better give yourself an hour and a half and a new "self help" tape for the stereo.) I know this is a driving skills question. To bad it isn't the more holistic question to include safety. Do the math on ft/lbs of energy damage should a genuine accident occur.

Kiri,

We all know that!! (ha ha). But as a practical matter. I sincerely believe regulation is the only answer. Guys (and gals) who drive fast almost always think they have super natural skills never before seen by mankind. Easily identified by the kind of car they drive, think or wish they drove. I am never cease to be amazed how competent and conservertive some guys can be as professionals on their job and such reckless idiots getting to and from that job (not the reader of course). On survey after survey the number one car men wanted if they could have anything is a FERRARI. 2nd, 3rd were also fast sports cars.

People, especially young men, will drive as fast as they can get away with.

Phone

'self murder'? do you mean what people (who use English well) call suicide?...yes that shouldn't be criminalised either. Who are you to maintain that people should do want you want them to rather than what they want to do themselves?...the dealers of misery must be so thankful for folk like you who keep them in money... and you are nasty, narrow minded and rude...and increasingly your venomous post let everyone else see that...'mate'.

Your having a laugh darling, i wouldn't give anyone who peddles the scrapings me old son. It's your pathetic thinkings and the likes of your apologetic ilk who have got this country into the finantial and lawless mess. No busters that's your problem, gutless to stand up for what is right. Anyone proven who deals with death and imports give em a life sentence, 20 years min.

me and venomous don't go together cock. Getting older now me english ain't what it used to be. I'll can live with it

how many more examples of misery do you want before the light comes on.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/07/05...26pLid%3D116372

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

80mph is too fast.

Before you start I did as a youngster drive like an idiot and was lucky to walk away from an accident at speed.

I refuse to exceed 70mph when driving. 80mph saves you a couple of minutes on your journey, burns extra fuel, increases the wear and tear. In an accident well there are enough stories of the consequences of excess speed.

I say that people who drive at a speed which exceeds 70mph should, in a safe environment, experience an accident at speed.

They might then actually learn how to drive and stop endangering themselves or others.

Driving at speed to save time would only work if you were driving a straight line on level gradient with no hold ups.

Good luck finding that in the UK.

Phone.

The " camber " in the road is to drain off rain. Simple stuff really. Same a the slope on any roof, either pitched or flat, its a simple question of drainage. I thought everyone knew that.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Your having a laugh darling, i wouldn't give anyone who peddles the scrapings me old son. It's your pathetic thinkings and the likes of your apologetic ilk who have got this country into the finantial and lawless mess. No busters that's your problem, gutless to stand up for what is right. Anyone proven who deals with death and imports give em a life sentence, 20 years min.

me and venomous don't go together cock. Getting older now me english ain't what it used to be. I'll can live with it

how many more examples of misery do you want before the light comes on.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/07/05...26pLid%3D116372

What a load of ignorant boll*x

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

What a load of ignorant boll*x

ha ha ha. :)

and really, more of these examples are needed:

"I'm sure it was not the only incident of the kind; we all do idiotic things when young," she said.

She won plaudits from political friends and foes at the time for her candour.

Following her comments on Question Time Mensch once again won admirers, who praised her for feeling able to speak about her experiences on TV.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

There are enough dickheads on my bumper at 70 giving me the hurry-up without raising the speed limit any further. The current volume of traffic leaves very little room for error even at the current speed limit.

It's all very well saying that you're capable of driving safely at such speeds - and maybe some of you are - but what about the average?

The roads are full of over-confident drivers, many in sub-standard machinery, driving too fast for the conditions with no regard for those who aren't hell bent for leather.

No thanks, I'd rather the limit was lowered.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

in my opinion speed virtually never kills....

stupidity kills most of the time.

lack of skill kills quite a bit.

acts of god kill occasionally (heart attacks, severe mechanical failure etc)

speed, and speed alone kills very very rarely.

the issue doesnt come down to speed; the issue comes down to the competance of the driver and the other drivers around. thats the real issue. in my opinion anyway :)