Are you competent to drive at 80mph on the motorway?

Steve Walker

Well are you?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Are you competent to drive at 80?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Are most of us competent?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. How about over 55? Can you manage that safely?

• I can
    • Most people can
    • Nobody can

Kiri,

If speed doesn't kill - you reckon it is the sudden stop?

Phone

(I'll find the door meself)

yep! like falling from a plane! its not the fall that kills its the hitting :)

i was alluding to the fact that alot of the **** you hear about speeding and deaths all allude to the speed of travel....rather than the guy/gal was driving like ****; or the mechanics failed, or a HUGE deer landed on the bonnet out of nowhere or whatever.

its a typical knee jerk reaction....speed is only part of the equation..speed will cause more damage...but its rarely solely to blame for the accident in the first instance!

like kids getting hit outside schools! a pet hate of mine this one! i work in a High School...and its a 20 mile an hour limit outside our gates!

if a child gets hit out there its automatically assumed its the drivers fault! every single time!

and yet, i can sit here and watch numerous kids play in the road; kick a football along the path as they wander between sites, run infront of cars, run between buses where a driver simply wont see them in time to stop no matter what speed is being travelled. and the first people up in arms are the parents!

the same parents that clog the school gate up at home time on the "parents" run.....that park on the yellow zig zags to drop their prescious little bastards off...that speed to get to school at 3.30 so little jonny doesnt get slightly wet at home time, that double park, that sit there happily driving along on their phones....and all the rest of it!

you should drive within your own limits; that of your car and that of your own skills; whilst also considering the orad surface and weather....in the UK there simply isnt enough time and consideration given to training drivers in various conditions and speeds etc

i happily drive at 70 most everywhere...80 if i fancy it and the road is nice and clear...i hate driving 50 or 60...its fills me with loathing! LOL!

do i tail hug? nope...do i keep a safe gap between me and the car in front?..yeah i think i do....if i buy a new car i make damn sure ive taken it out for hours and hours of driving so i know how it handles, how i handle it and what it and I can do; before driving at higher speeds.

the issue isnt speed,or what will kill you and what wont....

the issue; as with most things; is that the public are a bunch of strategically shaved chimps put into clothing and let loose on the world! with no regard for anything other than what is in their own petty little lives and whatever arse they happen to be kissing at the time!

stupidity kills~ that stupidity might be driving at 80 in a stupid manner; it might be pulling out in front of a car doing 80 when you dont have enough time to do so; it might be over taking on a blind hill/corner and hitting a car head on at 80.

driving at 80 wont kill you!

driving at 80 and doing something stupid will!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

speed kills plain and simple

what is more important is keeping traffic flowing at a snsible speed say at 50

i do not understand the need for speed you will get to your destination at some point no need to panic take your time

if you set a high limit of 70 does it really make any difference if some one goes 80 or 90 or 100?

70 is to fast so if you go any faster are you more deader when you crash

dead is dead 50 and maybe 60 is fast enough after that its much of a muchness to fast is simply to fast

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

A tree is one of those things that I wouldn't even want to hit at thirty -

And nor did Marc Bolan, :D

Edited by Andrew

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

If speed kills how come the astronauts in the saturn V rocket survived their trips ? I believe it may have travelled slightly faster than your average road car.
Zero to 60mph acceleration is nothing to write home about though ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote