Sandy

Chris Plumb

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also hope he's got plenty of batteries and food in his apartment).

Most of the folks I know who live in Manhattan consider a 2 day supply of food and other essentials to be plenty and an additional 2 days to be an adequate emergency stock. I'd also guess that by now, pretty much everything is closed so what they don't have, they won't have.

Sandy now has sustained winds of 90 mph with gusts to 115 mph and a central pressure of 940 mb which is the lowest ever recorded for a location north of Virginia. Tropical storm force (39 - 73 mph) winds now extend for about 500 miles to either side of the storm center so a 1000 mile wind field. That may be a new record too.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Most of the folks I know who live in Manhattan consider a 2 day supply of food and other essentials to be plenty and an additional 2 days to be an adequate emergency stock. I'd also guess that by now, pretty much everything is closed so what they don't have, they won't have. Sandy now has sustained winds of 90 mph with gusts to 115 mph and a central pressure of 940 mb which is the lowest ever recorded for a location north of Virginia. Tropical storm force (39 - 73 mph) winds now extend for about 500 miles to either side of the storm center so a 1000 mile wind field. That may be a new record too.

It's certainly shaping up for a major weather event.

Having experienced a storm with sustained wind speeds of over 75mph and gusts of over 100mph in January 2005 I wish the folks of New York, and the rest of the North Eastern USA the very best of luck, they're going to need it!

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

The stats on Sandy are truely awesome - great graphic on the Beeb superimposing the storm over Western Europe - to give us this side of the pond some idea of the scale!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20123703

C

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Atlantic City..Erm In the Atlantic.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

To add to the New York City woes, the latest Hurricane Hunter aircraft reports that winds aloft are much stronger than those at ground level so a 70 story building could have 50mph at the base and 70 mph at the top. The last bit I read said that in parts of the storm, ground winds were 90 mph with gusts to 115 mph.

As all that nice warm, moist air from Sandy moved further inland it is meeting several strong cold fronts moving east which is causing sharp temperature drops and snow, lots of snow, and enough wind to class the snowfall as a blizzard. If you look at a trip report I posted in the photo section (autumn colours) a few days ago, much of the area shown in the photos will have well below freezing temps tonight with the likelyhood of 1-2 feet of snow in places being driven by 50-60 mph winds..

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

lets hope everyone manages to keep safe,

the 1,000 miles across Sandy would i guess be the length of the Uk

With a couple of hundred to spare

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote