What are you reading at the moment?

doc_tench

I very much enjoyed Shelters of Stone although I will admit it fizzled out a bit at the end. I almost got the impression that the last bit was rushed to meet a deadline.

Mind you I still reckon that the author is a great story teller, and she paints a fascinating picture of a complex Stone Age society. I'll certaily be buying the next one!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the PEOPLES of all the tribes in every books way of thinking GOD is Mother earth in all of her forms.

BEATS all of todays religions hands down!!!!!!

I hope the next book is better than "Shelters of stone" trouble is you can see some of the things that are going to happen.

Its just like READING A BOOK!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

big al:

last man down is a great book and to think he could of got out maybe, but chose to stay and help others first ,we would all like to think we could be that brave but i doubt it somehow.

falling in again by chris yates latest book but all his are great.cheers big al

But thats what Firfighters do - save lifes the same as nurses and doctors etc.

This was there "Fight" the "Big one" as many firfighters would say that is why many of the firefighters who died were not even on duty but rushed to the scene to do what they could.

If you do a job for many many years as this man had done its in your blood "its what you do" you dont even think about it you just do it.

Would you or i have stayed behind to rescue a whole floor of handicapped people who had been forgotten about when everybody had been evacuated i would like to think so,others did, those that could walk stayed behind to help those who could not they had built up a friendship with the less mobile over the period of waiting to be rescued and they did not flee as they were hearing the rumble of the building collapsing above them.

No, not for them leaving there fellow man, i would hoped that you and i would have been one of them :)

Lean for life and Challenge yourself both by Clarence Bass. The author is a lifelong fitness and nutrition guru from Alberque in New Mexico.

You ought to see what I've been eating while reading them

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Originally posted by RUDD:

[QB] I like the PEOPLES of all the tribes in every books way of thinking GOD is Mother earth in all of her forms. BEATS all of todays religions hands down!!!!!

So glad someone shares my beliefs. I've become accustomed to people's derision when I express my thoughts on this subject!

Help me unhook these, please.

half way through Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - by Hunter S Thompson....

basically at's all about two lunatics in search of the American dream in Las Vegas...erm that's all I'll say....read it :D

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

Not reading anything at the moment but the last book I read was Sea Room by Adam Nicholson. It is about a group of 3 islands called the Shiants (Eilean an Tighe, Eilean Mhuire, Mol Mhor) in the Minch.

An absolutely brilliant read, even if the blood that surges through your veins is English and not Scots like mine. Savage, cruel beauty.

Même en France il n'y a aucun paradis comme ceci.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Guest NickInTheNorth

corydoras, thanks for that one, somehow I've missed that book.

I'll be ordering it from Amazon.

Anyone that would like to read an account of Scottish island life as it was in the past could do much worse than read Bare Feet & Tackety Boots, and account of the life of Archie Cameron as a child on the island of Rum.

NickInTheNorth:

corydoras, thanks for that one, somehow I've missed that book.

I'll be ordering it from Amazon.

Anyone that would like to read an account of Scottish island life as it was in the past could do much worse than read Bare Feet & Tackety Boots, and account of the life of Archie Cameron as a child on the island of Rum.

Nae bo'r ma man. A book well worthy of a plug.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Guest sslatter
awaaar:

half way through Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - by Hunter S Thompson....

Loved it. Brilliant off-the-wall stuff. Shame about the film, though, which was a big let-down. Another good shorty is "Down and out in Paris and London" by George Orwell. You'll never forget this book, especially if you ever go to eat in a Parisian restaurant.

If you like your stuff a bit weird and spooky, you could do worse than read any collection of short stories by Paul Bowles, which are available in paperback, but I can't remember the name of the collection.