Middle Lane Hogging

Leon Roskilly

Known in Australia as W.O.M.B.A.T.S.

WOn't Move over Because Am Totally Stupid

But even worse are the compulsive lane changers when in a jam, or approaching the Dartford Crossing - despite warnings to stay in lane.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Unless it can be enforced by a camera, I doubt that it will be. :(

The French motorway police have started using these little aeroplanes rather than helicopters to patrol their motorways. They only cost €200 per hour to keep them in the air, rather than the €2,000 per hour it cost to keep one of their helicopters in the air.

brigade-police-aeronautique-un-oeil-dans

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Enforcement will be the major issue here as there are precious few traffic cops around now (at least those that are visible)

However, I think getting the issue of the middle-laners in the news and on the front pages will go some way to getting through to the drivers who maybe unaware of their actions.

I am often gobsmacked by some examples of the completely ignorant who beleive that they are entitled to just poodle along in the middle lane regardless of the chaos they generate around them. Some are downright dangerous and it's about time that the problem was recognised.

Let's have a go at cyclists who don't believe in traffic lights next!

Our chief weapon is surprise

was under the impression it will be much more of a "if your spotted by a highway patrol" kind of fine rather than a camera or specific enforcement vehicle; so if your cruising along in the middle lane and an unmarked car or a police car considers your hogging then they can flash you down and issue the fine; similar to seat belts and phone use etc

the issue is more how do they decide what constitutes lane hogging and what is having the foresight to keep in lane to overtake a lorry further up the road rather than constantly swapping back and forth.

of course the counter argument to that is the highway code says get back to the inside lane as soon as possible:

Rule 238: You should drive in the left-hand lane if the road ahead is clear. Return to the left-hand lane once you have overtaken all the vehicles or if you are delaying traffic behind you

so I guess they can be as harsh as they like under that rule and get you pretty much every time if the left hand lane is clear.

Puzzled: my pet hate with cyclists is moving up the outside of traffic that is turning right onto a junction. but instead of moving up the left hand side of the traffic (which would be acceptable) they move up the right hand side!! meaning they have to cut back across the lane when crossing forcing all vehicles behind to be unable to pull out til they have crossed!!

Edited by kirisute

I was towing a traier a couple of years ago and an idiot refused to either go faster drop back or pull in behind me for many miles ,i couldnt drop back then go into the outside lane as its forbidden ,chap ignored me no doubt hoping i would undertake 55mph is asking for trouble they should be banned from driving full stop.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The French motorway police have started using these little aeroplanes rather than helicopters to patrol their motorways. They only cost 200 per hour to keep them in the air, rather than the 2,000 per hour it cost to keep one of their helicopters in the air.

brigade-police-aeronautique-un-oeil-dans

These might be more effective for dealing with middle lane hogs

44a10fire.jpg

Edited by Steve Walker

I'd like someone to define clearly what a middle lane hog is. For example lane 1 on the M27 is frequently nose to tail full of HGVs heading from or to the ferries in Portsmouth. I'm damned if I am gonna play leap-frog with the trucks, I''l stay in lane 2 at 70mph until I am clear of the lot of them.

• Like 1

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote