Zander fishing

Anderoo

It reminds me of boat fishing with a light spinning rod, with 8lb line and 4" pirks in the Clyde estuary, and catching cod of a similar size to those zander, as well as loads of mackerel. This was back in the 70s and 80s.

Good fun, but I couldn't do it too often, I found it too 'samey', (if that's a word).

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer, when you did that did they hook themselves?

Sometimes Rich, it was much like you've described. The hits could come on the drop, as you lifted, and often just hanging there. We didn't fish on the drift much. We were lucky that my brother-in-law was friends with the harbour master, and we used to go out on his boat. With them both being local they knew the marks, and what stage of the tide to fish them. I suppose that's the main difference, in that you have to find the fish yourselves.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Yes it sounds similar!

The best thing about this is the connection to the jig and feeling every tiny knock. The bites are mostly very subtle but you have to react fast and strike if you are too slow or don't notice a take then you'll miss the fish.

It's that electric shock of a hit followed by the quick reactions needed to actually hit them it's so addictive. I've never experienced such addictive fun fishing!

Rich

The right rod is really important, if it's too soft you can't control the lure properly, can't feel the takes very well, and can't set the hooks very well either. Most short general spinning rods just aren't stiff enough. You can get by with one, but it would be quite a handicap, especially if it was a first attempt and you weren't sure what to feel for.

Oh, and as you're holding it and doing the repetitive jigging action all day, the wrong rod can really start to hurt after a while!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Nothing that complicated Phone, just a soft plastic about 5" long (usually a shad) on a jig head with a little treble hook stinger near the tail, direct to a flouro leader, which is then tied to the braid mainline.

Jig heads are normally about 30-35g, you might have to go heavier in extreme conditions, but not very often lighter. The depth you're fishing at is normally between about 40-70ft, always fishing very close to the bottom.

Does that sound familiar with the US walleye fishing? Walleye and zander are basically the same...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Anderoo,

That's about as traditional as it gets. If you're going to catch fish that rig will do it.

I really had more in mind suggesting this site. Amazing how much "less" tired the right rod makes. http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/legend-tournament-walleye-musky

Also, take a look for fun http://www.walleye411.com/

Phone

Funny isn't it, in the States, Holland and Germany, this is considered traditional, it's all still pretty new to the UK.

I mustn't look at St Croix rods, I don't trust myself! I think if I did more of this fishing I would invest in a better rod, but I only do a couple of months of it each year. The rod I have is a decent mid-range one, but a better balanced and lighter one would be very nice...