start of the pike season

azrael

With all the stupid rules that are put in place by people who seem bent on getting rid of pike in their waters, strange moralities that tell them its ok to hook a fish in the mouth but no where else and then justify all this with flawed "science" is it any wonder that pike anglers break rules,dont want to share information on waters etc?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DD,

From my "favorites" on this computer (bet I have 1/2 dozen similar). http://www.fecpl.ca/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/Arlinghaus-et-al.-2008.pdf Primarily two lakes, one in Germany and one in the US.

A quote to preceed my comment. """"Finally, natural bait was more likely to be deeply ingested than all other bait types; 15.4 % of the northern pike captured on natural bait were hooked in the gullet.""""

Fish care, is a misnomer of an angler in denial, they are just fish.

Phone

I will mainly be day ticket Zander fishing this season, after a disappointing Pike fishing on my local river last year I am not even going to bother this year. I may well have a few trips to some local reservoirs that have a reputation for not having any Pike. It would be interesting just to test the theory and I have a bit of an alternative reason as they will be doing selective night fishing next year and I want to get to know the water as I fancy doing some of the night slots after the Bream. A few days spent soaking some dead baits while scanning the water and talking to Carp anglers laughing at me may well pay off next year when I have a go for the Bream.

My neck of the woods was never known for monster Pike but a lot of the waters where good "sporting venues" where you could get a few fish with a low double being a result. Great fun in the winter, fishing does not have to be all about going for specimen fish. The last 5 years or so has seen a huge drop off in captures and with the average size of fish plummet. I don't mind being out in the cold for the chance of a few runs from small fish or waiting it out for a big fish but not waiting it out for one single. The topic of why now bores me and to a certain extent its not worth crying over spilled milk. If you have some nice Piking at the moment, enjoy it while you can. I think any one who shares his Pike spots with any one who is not a trusted friend must be a total plank.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

A quote to preceed my comment. """"Finally, natural bait was more likely to be deeply ingested than all other bait types; 15.4 % of the northern pike captured on natural bait were hooked in the gullet.""""

If over 15% of the pike were hooked in the gullet that means that the techniques used were wrong or the runs weren't hit fast enough. Such a statistic wouldn't be seen on any water I've ever fished in the UK.

I've probably caught way over 1000 pike on deadbaits in my time and only 2 have been deep-hooked. Both were safely unhooked (it's easy when you know how), and returned to the water.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

If you have some nice Piking at the moment, enjoy it while you can.

That sums it up nicely for me! And applies equally to other species too, albeit to a lesser extent.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Reading my last nights post it comes over almost as if I am anti piking. That's certainly not the case I am enjoying it very much. Its the pike forums that annoy me so much.

I agree keep everything hush hush. There are many reasons I don't post catch reports anymore and one of them is for the reason others have said.

As for the fens being dead and not worth pike or zander fishing I totally agree. Its not worth anyone bothering at all. I suggest anyone goes elsewhere for their winter predator sport. LOL :secret:

I have decided to forgo my weekend plans to help the local PAC section do a junior teach in at Barham near Ipswich. This is on Saturday. Its a GAPS water and they ban coarse baits live or dead because in previous years pike anglers were breaking the no livebaiting rules and then continued bringing coarse fish onto the fishery from elsewhere and fishing them as dead although they were still kicking so coarse deads were banned aswell. Made perch fishing extremely difficult.

This is what annoys me.

John

John always the way that a few catch at all costs guys ruin it for others sadly ,I have not koined any clubs yet this year due to no livebait rules although I am going to join one near Steve Walker coz although it`s no lives you can take your hound with you......on waters that the big perch do respond well to lives it makes life very hard not being able to eh?? Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

My neck of the woods was never known for monster Pike but a lot of the waters where good "sporting venues" where you could get a few fish with a low double being a result. Great fun in the winter, fishing does not have to be all about going for specimen fish. The last 5 years or so has seen a huge drop off in captures and with the average size of fish plummet. I don't mind being out in the cold for the chance of a few runs from small fish or waiting it out for a big fish but not waiting it out for one single. The topic of why now bores me and to a certain extent its not worth crying over spilled milk. If you have some nice Piking at the moment, enjoy it while you can. I think any one who shares his Pike spots with any one who is not a trusted friend must be a total plank. Hello boy,think I know where you must live,remember pike trive on neglet,(but they also need something to eat!!) Agree 100% with your last sentence.

Hi Mick

Pike seem to find something to feed on no matter where they are or how little other life seems present. Sadly I think a lot of the best fishing now days in some areas may well be behind locked gates with a bailif or other staff on site. Other then modern commercials Pike seem present in most venues to some degree and even some carp commercials hold a few surprises. Its just whether they are worth the time and effort of fishing for them.

If nothing else works maybe I might try a dead chicken as bait, if there are no prey fish around maybe they feed on the birds :-)Or maybe boilies?

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

John always the way that a few catch at all costs guys ruin it for others sadly ,I have not koined any clubs yet this year due to no livebait rules although I am going to join one near Steve Walker coz although it`s no lives you can take your hound with you......on waters that the big perch do respond well to lives it makes life very hard not being able to eh?? Steve

Steve, I was looking through their list of waters on the website the other night, did you clock the claims for how big their perch go?