Can anyone explain this feeding

wotnobivvy

I went to Exbury Gardens in Hampshire today with the other half. I knew from past experience that there were a couple of ponds that contained common carp. I took a small bag of floating feed pellets that I use to feed the fish in my garden pond. The following hppened on both ponds ( which are really small lakes). I approached the bankside and saw a few carp cruising below the surface. I chucked a small amound of feed over their heads. From a few the group swiftly grew to a couple of dozen. As I continued we looked around and there were bow waves as carp came from every part of the pond to join the party, How did the word get around so quickly that there was free food. They were climbing over each other to gulp down the pellets. If i knew how they communicated it would revolutionise my fishing !!!

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did the word get around so quickly that there was free food. They were climbing over each other to gulp down the pellets. If i knew how they communicated it would revolutionise my fishing !!!

They know the sound of food hitting the water - you'd find it very different if they were fished for.

wotnob,

It's not real complicated. Carp instinctively shoal or actually follow "fish with a mission". There can be as much as 15 - 20 feet between carp on reasonably clear water.

Phone

Edit: It is my suspicion after a carp reach a certain size relative to the biomass they have the "best" natural feeding areas and are not as subject to this reaction. They are sometimes curious and can be caught at the edge of this activity.

Edited by Phone

You could detect the sound of a carp feeding frenzy from the other end of a swimming pool - and your ears aren't as good as a fish's ears and lateral line.

An ornamental pool with pellet fed fish that come to the sound of pellets hitting the water.

You should see what happens when you start throwing pellets into a Thai temple pond - and then the catfish turn up and start to make an easy meal of the barb feeding frenzy.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

as the rest: pellet sound.

its how pellet wagglers work so efficiently...its not the smell of the bait but the sound of the constant hitting of the water that attracts...same with slow sinking bombs etc

also the reason a lot of surface fishermen will use large bits of bread or slightly wet bread so that you get a pronounced "plop" when it lands to attract fish.

seen it happen on clear waters through to muddy puddles with very little difference taken in the time between reaction to bait sound.

wotnob,

It's not real complicated. Carp instinctively shoal or actually follow "fish with a mission". There can be as much as 15 - 20 feet between carp on reasonably clear water.

Phone

Edit: It is my suspicion after a carp reach a certain size relative to the biomass they have the "best" natural feeding areas and are not as subject to this reaction. They are sometimes curious and can be caught at the edge of this activity.

I seen a short bit in a documentary explaining the same thing. Their example had something like minnows in a large tray filled with water (obviously) and one fake minnow on a stick (could have been string but you get the idea) that they make dart to certain parts of the tray making it look like it knew where it was going with the most determination. The rest would about turn and follow it.

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

you can see similar with wild trout in a clear stream as well...they will follow one that is determined to feed to actively chasing food.

got video footage of it somewhere where the pressure to feed has made 3 trout who previously ignored the bait suddenly turn and dart for it when a fourth nips in to grab at it.

one of dads great "fishing sayings" is that if you get the smaller stuff feeding they will bring in the bigger stuff...

I have seen carp go into a surface feeding frenzy in the depths of winter - they were feeding on old floating casters.

I have watched and feed a single Roach in a clear pond and within minutes had hundreds of them arrive from no-where, they must send out some form of feeding or getting excited signals to other fish.

In both cases they were feed little and often to create a competitive frenzy - I suppose if a feeding chance arises fish have to take it and grab what they can before it all goes.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!