Nicaragua -

New York -

there must be another 500 somewhere. :rolleyes:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The county of Orkney is twinned with the "county" of Hordaland in Norway.

The links are close and seem to be cherished on both sides of the North Sea.

I must admit that from where I stand Orkney seems to get the better of the deal with visiting Choirs, bands, Sailing ships and gifts of Trees at Christmas and that is not even mentioning the great looking Norwegian lasses on student exchanges.

I might add that Orkney was part of the Norwegian Kingdom until the mid fifteenth century and is the only place in the UK I know that celebrates Norwegian Constitution day (May 16th or is it 17th??)

Skol

Scapa :D

i live in a part of edinburgh called hunters tryst, it is under the shadow of the pentland hills and is so windy it is twinned with cape horn.... :lol:

just down the road is a council estate which is twinned with salem's lot and beirut :lol:

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

London is now twined with Bengladash.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Farnham Surrey Andernach Germany

probably somewhere foreign cant see the twin has ever sent me anything though probably the mayor gets a nice hamper each year :rolleyes:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

KenL.

You live near to me in fact in the same borough Sandwell MBC you will find it as lot to do with a certain gentleman on the borough council (Lord T.S.). Think its the area where he came from

Edited by ridgeacre

A wise man learns by a fools mistakes, a fool by his own

I think it's supposed to foster international understanding and friendship, or reinforce ingrained sterotypes, or something....

:huh:

Between councillors on free international trips? :unsure:

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Between councillors on free international trips? :unsure:

Dunno about that. I've only been abroad twice in my life, and one of those occasions was a twinning trip. Betley in Staffs is twinned with Agny in Northern France. Agny invited Betley to their May Day Procession, Betley wanted some morris dancers but didn't have any of their own, and asked us (Saxon Morris) as being the nearest side to them geographically.

It was a very enjoyable trip, but we paid for our own travel and accommodation (and most of the food and drink), and so did the Betley people, although some of them were put up by Agny residents. As far as I know, no councillors were involved...

Hospitality was reciprocated by Betley the following year.

One of our party, I'm ashamed to say, was an out-and-out racist/xenophobe, and we had to sit on him hard on more than one occasion in order to avoid embarassment.

On the whole, though, from my very limited experience, twinning does make you feel more kindly towards foreigners (even the Old Enemy, the French) and rather less inclined to want to go to war with them. And that, I think, is the main reason why twinning associations were formed.

Gillingham Kent - twinned with Yokosuka and Ito

(Something to do with Will Adams - for more info read James Clavell's book 'Shogun')

There are regular student exchanges between the towns - and several schools are teaching Japanese on their curriculum..... and I don't mean just those in Japan!

Liverpool - Casey's post wasn't entirely accurate...

Shanghai, China

Cologne (Koln), Germany

Corinto, Nicaragua

Dublin, Ireland

Liverpool, Australia

Odessa, Ukraine

Rotterdam, Netherlands

At least, that's according to http://www.twinning.org.uk/uk_twinnings.htm

Edited by Alan Stubbs

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

It was a very enjoyable trip, but we paid for our own travel and accommodation (and most of the food and drink), and so did the Betley people, although some of them were put up by Agny residents. As far as I know, no councillors were involved...

Hospitality was reciprocated by Betley the following year.

Thats the way most of these things go. I have been to a couple of these events in France. I have only ever saw one or two councillors on these trips and everyone has paid for there own tickets. The French on the whole are very hospitable people and most of the UK visitors were put up by locals.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote