Return of the eel

Anderoo

I agree entirely, Dales, and have made the same point on AN before. The problem isn't that they are taking elvers, it's that they are taking masses when the negligible impact of recreational angling is banned entirely.

• Like 2

I agree entirely, Dales, and have made the same point on AN before. The problem isn't that they are taking elvers, it's that they are taking masses when the negligible impact of recreational angling is banned entirely.

I do worry that when we hear reports of improved stocks of elvers the result will be those that are allowed to take them will use it as justification to have their quotas increased.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I do worry that when we hear reports of improved stocks of elvers the result will be those that are allowed to take them will use it as justification to have their quotas increased.

Yup, Barry's been on about ti here

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/5445809-are-jellied-eels-coming-back/page-2

The thing is it's been an increase over the last few years, so some see it as the time to go back to how things were.

It still makes a mockery of the 'no take' law for anglers, though.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Its not just elvers being commercially taken its also other things being taken on a huge scale .

Take sand eels they are part of the food chain so anything that lives on them is effected ,in this report its only birds being discussed but ofcourse sand eels are eaten by fish upwards

We dont (as far as i know ) eat sand eels so like elvers our waters are being stripped so foreigners can use them ,our millions of cats are eating something and now cows are not allowed to eat cows their protein is coming from somewhere ,its not anglers in the main upsetting the applecart as we know but big business making more profit

http://www.scotsman.com/news/environment/sandeel-fishing-linked-to-scottish-seabird-decline-1-3216052

Now were even starting to harvest plankton which is what most sea life start out eating ,remove a percentage of that and you remove a percentage of what eats it but more importantly what eats that and so on up the food chain

Its not just down to the removal of eels or even fish we used to remove them by the 100/1000's? of tons when everyone used to eat them (fish on friday was mostly course fish until the railways arrived) so the decline in eels and fish is down to water quality and in the eel it must be elver removal theres nothing else that can be blamed,the EA are not concentrating on two huge reasons but blame everyone else

Removal for the pot is tiny compared to the past and whens the last time you caught an eel worth taking if you wanted to ,even the perils of my youth the bootlace eel getting caught and spoiling your day (and tackle)has gone i havnt caught one since 1960

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Farm animal feed, pet food, fertiliser. If we aren't eating sandeels via our pork, chicken or eggs or veg we're feeding it to our cats and dogs.

It probably wouldn't be economic to fish for sandeels if it were made illegal not to land every fish caught by commercial boats (with a limited number of exceptions for rare species caught using methods that they might survive) because if we met our fishmeal needs by taking fish that are currently discarded, the market price for sandeels wouldn't make them worth fishing.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Phone, sandeels are a different issue. They are a small marine species which has no recreational fishery, apart from their use as bait. Exploitation of sandeels is a concern for anglers and conservationists because they are eaten by just about everything. Hoovering them up as a source of cheap protein, fertiliser or - I don't think this happens any more - fuel for power stations - carries a risk of big knock-on effects on other species.

Sandeels;

552936543_d7fe38343f_o.jpg

The industrial sand eel fishery used to be unregulated, with absolutely massive catches and also a lot of bycatch of undersized fish of other species, which as you can imagine did not sit well with the fishermen working to tight quotas for the human food market. After clear evidence emerged of the impact the fishery was having on seabird populations, it began to be regulated, and some fisheries were closed.

In short, the article is BS with regard to conservation and while I'm quite sure that there have been variable numbers of returning elvers over recent years, I've not heard of anyone noticing a significant reduction in eel catches to anglers, or indeed of any study of the numbers of ells present in river systems - they were certainly still present in plague proportions when i fished the lower Severn last summer.

That goes along with everything I've been saying about Scotland for the last decade. Because a handful of rivers in England, which by the way are commercially fished on an industrial basis, had a supposed 99% decrease in elver numbers, we were reliably informed that the eel was practically extinct and that was that. I've never known of this catastrophe. Eels of all sizes and shapes are rife up here and if you ever wanted some to repopulate a water, well come up here and fill your boots.....car boots that is.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...