What work do you do?

Smudge

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just started a new jobas a trainee asbestos consultant after having to leave the fire service and it got me thinking what do all of you lot do between fishing trips. :ph34r:

What brigade were you in Smudge? And how did you manage to get out?

I'm in the LFB and the way it's gone you'd have to lose both legs to even be considered for early retirement.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hmmm - interesting stuff. I have done a bit of this and a bit of that over the 45 years I've been in the work force.

So for any who are wondering if they can change occupations and make a go of the new one, I'd say yes. Jan & I started the internet business after I turned 60 y/o and life is more interesting now than it has been in a while.

Well, Newt gave away my current occupation/obsession. I do that and try to keep him on track (a full time job of itself).

Over the years I have been a bookkeeper for a private school/church/missionary, ran computer operations at a hospital when healthcare computers were just starting out, worked for McDonnell Douglas in the healthcare section supporting hospital computer systems, audited software, wrote documentation, installed new software at hospitals, spent 14 months in IRELAND involved with computerizing some of the hospitals around Dublin and training the Irish staff to take over, staff and client training (where I met Newt), call center work for the GM onboard OnStar product (even had a commercial on the radio) and now work with my hubby on our website. What's next? Aside for 2 wonderful weeks in your country in May, retirement and moving further South where we can fishing whenever we want!!! ;)

AND ALWAYS - spoiling my grandkids every opportunity possible.

Guest sandpipper

Im an hgv driver now i hate it but its the best paid job i can get at the moment, i used to be cheif engineer for wilton royal stripping down and rebuilding carpet looms for 16 years.tony

Spent the first part of my working life in pharmaceutical industry, then changed direction completely and became an oceanographer working for a university - involved in both research and in writing course material for students. Made my research area tropical coastal environments (mangroves, sea grasses, coral reefs etc) and strangely enough used to use a fishing rod as a research tool ;)

I'm now retired, but still travel the world as much as I can.

Norma is also a university academic (analytical chemistry) She is semi-retired - her university allowed her to take early retirement, then found there was nobody to do her job, so now employ her as a part-time consultant!

We also run the family building business - the lads do the work and we handle the admin.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Clinical Effectiveness Librarian in the NHS, but partly employed by the Bedside Clinical Guidelines Partnership to provide the evidence base for medical, surgical, paediatric, neonatal and nursing guidelines used by acute hospital trusts.

Tenders manager for a healthcare company. Sourcing and responding to tenders and setting up processes for running the contracts arising from the tender bid.

My main employment period was 26 years working in the paper industry - hence the interest in print and graphics.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine