Taking the p***

Spur-Hound

Couldn't get my head around the reasons for this one.....I've always been a named driver on my wife's policy and we're up to max no claims discount on the family Subaru. I bought myself a Landrover Defender last november and asked Direct Line to insure this in the same way the Scoobie is. They wouldn't take into acount our accrued NCD for the Landrover telling us as it's a second vehicle we would have to start afresh....Anyhow, we accepted it, the idea being that I would look into a cheaper quote (Direct Line cost us £750). The Landy got crunched 4 weeks later and is still awaiting repair or poss write-off so I am non the wiser as to whether I could get it substantially cheaper elsewhere.

Paul

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NickInTheNorth

In short, yes you would be able to get it cheaper elsewhere. Most companies in that situation would either give you and "introductory" discount, or a discount based on your record on the other policy.

However a "no claims discount" is only available for 1 policy at a time. If you take out a second policy you need to earn NCD on that one too.

In short, yes you would be able to get it cheaper elsewhere. Most companies in that situation would either give you and "introductory" discount, or a discount based on your record on the other policy.

However a "no claims discount" is only available for 1 policy at a time. If you take out a second policy you need to earn NCD on that one too.

I get my NCD mirrored onto a second vehicle. I don't think I get full whack, though. As the 2nd vehicle is a poxy little van, I've not really delved any further :D

Liverpool Victoria used to do something similar, too.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

The CIS always did reasonable quotes for young drivers - they used to have a policy of not insuring under 25's as named drivers but selling you an any driver policy (or something like that) but either way they worked out pretty good value.

I insure via Norwich Union on the car (200 for a 2003 Micra fully comp), and 160 fully comp on my VFR400 with bennets.

Ian W

an enterprising insurance could corner the market if they realised one person can only drive one vehicle at a time and did a multy vehicle insurance ,it could be based on the higher value vehicle but made cheaper than insuring both as seperate vehicles ,this would ensure owners insured both cars with them rather than maybe one there and one with another company ,a little too much like common sense though :rolleyes:

i use the honda 90 for everyday use ,the golf when i take the mrs out and intend to use the espace for camping so insurance covering both would be a boon the golf is £124 the espace £151 so a £200 fee would be benificial to both parties :rolleyes:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i wish there was a uk espace site (maybe a hint for someone) theres absolutly nothing except stuff in french ,

Don't know if you've come across this one Chesters, not Espace dedicated but usually knowledgeable on most things froggy.

thanks i will have a browse ,i had searched under just espace so had missed this one

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I think youre getting high quotes cos its a 1.8, My son got his 1.6 astra for just over a grand last year. 1.8 and it shoots up!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

It's definitely worth shopping around, because some insurers calculate risk in entirely different ways to others, and you can get some very weird quotes.

I bought the mrs a 600 quid Citroen AX diesel (1.5 litres) to learn to drive in. That was costing about 400 quid a year to insure third party fire & theft for both of us. A month or two after she passed her test she bought herself a 2002 Mazda MX5 (1.8 litres) for about 10.5k. Fully comp on the MX5 was 650 quid. That's a 250 quid increase to go from tpf&t on a slow diesel runaround to fully comp on a fairly quick ten grand sports car.

Another example, our other car is a Honda Civic Type-R. 2 litres, 200 horsepower, insurance group 17. My renewal was about 450 quid. I got a quote to put my wife on the insurance (remember, she was 24 at the time, only held a full licence for a couple of months) and it doubled their quote to 900 and odd. At the same time, another insurance company's quote came down from about 600 for just me to about 500 for me and the wife. So one company whacks the premium up (as you would expect to add an inexperienced driver to a fast car) and the other knocks it down.

Try getting a quote from Admiral or Elephant with you as the main driver and with somebody else (your mum, maybe) as a named driver. You might be surprised. Don't try to put someone else down as the main driver.

I was gettign quotes from loads of companies (eagle star, elephant, churchill, aquote, confused.com (who also go to Norwich Union)) in the 1000 quid mark (both TPFT & FC) for a Mazda 323 estate (pukka fishing wagon) and myself having 3 points from Dec 2001

I then tried Norwich Union whom brought my premium down to £423 FC, no guesses who I got my insurance from :P