Is spllenig imorpatnt ?

Guest @Winter@

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My very intelligent daughter is dyslexic.

When she writes me, I sometimes have to remember that she has a good degree from a top university, and is earning more than I ever did!

Unfortunately there are few clues to a person's true personality when relating to them on an internet forum and our own prejudices can label a mispeller as uneducated and dumb, when the truth is very different.

But sometimes it isn't!

It's not how they spell it, but what they are putting across that gives the clue!

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

My very intelligent daughter is dyslexic.

When she writes me, I sometimes have to remember that she has a good degree from a top university, and is earning more than I ever did!

Unfortunately there are few clues to a person's true personality when relating to them on an internet forum and our own prejudices can label a mispeller as uneducated and dumb, when the truth is very different.

But sometimes it isn't!

It's not how they spell it, but what they are putting across that gives the clue!

Yes I'm not too bad at spelling, just a crap typist. :(

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I agree with Wordbender,spelling is important! In my job it is essential as a patient could be given a wrong drug for example if two drugs have simmilar names.Whilst we are on this sort of subject ....good clear handwriting is also every improtant not everything is done via computers!!!!!(apologies in advance for any spelling mistakes as I know I am far from perfect)

Judith

hee he!e !! just spotted my own mistake....

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

hee he!e !! just spotted my own mistake....

You missed 'simmilar' and 'every', Nursey! :P

Edited by Wordbender

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

I think punctuation is as important as spelling: Lynn Truss's book 'Eats Shoots and Leaves' makes the case better than anything I ever read as a schoolboy during an English lesson.

Punctuation is a construct of the printing industry, but it actually makes sense of the written word. Correctly punctuated, even sarcasm is made plain.

The book title 'Eats Shoots and Leaves' derives from an old joek about pandas: What does a panda do? It eats shoots and eaves - or it eats, shoots and leaves. two different meanings made clear by the addition of punctuation.

I recommend it to anyone.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Spelling and punctuation help with correct meaning and ease of reading but are not essential skill required to make yourself understood.

I am well educated with a whole host of letters after my name but my spelling and handwriting dogged me all through my education. I was thought to be, like so many, dyslectic and some of my teacher and even university lecturers treated me like an idiot because the spider that crawled accross my page could not spell. This reached a peak when my English teacher, in his new role as carreers advisor, sugested that I should start looking for a job at the age of sixteen as I would not get the 3 O levels required to get into the Sixth Form. This was in spite of the fact that I had come second in the year in his English Language mock O level (a comprehension paper with multiple choice/single word answers) and that I got ten good grade O Level passes, as most people assumed that I would. This sort of "old School" emphesis on spelling and hand writing relate more to the days of the Clerk with quill pen than to the modern world, that particular teacher probably did a lot of damage to boys whith his narow attitudes and assumption that if you cant put it down on paper then you have nothing to say.

Edited by A Worm OOE