Best Yates Book

Gaz51

Best Chris Yates Book  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best Chris Yates Book?

• Casting at the Sun
    • The Secret Carp
    • Falling in Again

I am not sure that Chris is the 'great' angling writer that many appear to suggest. I picked up 'Falling In Again' from a charity shop, presumably the previous owner was unimpressed and so was I. The book version of Passion is enjoyable, I wouldn't part with it, but, on balance, not sure that Chris is much better than John Bailey!!

Peter, in the opinion of many "Falling in Again" isn't a patch on most of Chris's work. Try some of his others, especially Casting at the Sun and the Deepening Pool - I'm sure you'll enjoy them. I consider Chris the best angling writer of modern times, and in fact one of the best ever.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Casting at the Sun is autobiographical. Falling in Again is a series of short stories. Secret Carp is basically the story of a day spent on a secret carp lake.

I've reviwed all these books at various times :rolleyes:

Falling in Again (along with Deepening Pool) can be found here...

http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/bookreview/index.shtml

While my thoughts on CATS & SC are on Steve Burke's site...here:

http://www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk/fishb...eview.asp?id=21

C.

I have to agree it is a close call between Chris yates and John Bailey

As good a writer as John Bailey is, I always get the feeling that his schoolteacher background stops his writings being truly heartfelt, there's an essay feel about a sizeable number of his books.

Chris Yates on the other hand, is in my opinion one of the true greats. His descriptive passages in Casting at the Sun & the Deepening pool, are rich in detail & honesty. Not many writers can create that warm glow of recognition you get when you feel you understand exactly what the writer is trying to convey.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Chris Yates is a superb angling writer - my personal favourite - but Falling In Again is not on a par with his other work, in my opinion.

His skill in bringing to life the special moments in angling is unsurpassed and The Deepening Pool is, I'd say, the greatest example of this.

If you ever get the chance, please read Chris Yates and discover what so many of us are raving on about. ;)

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Although I enjoyed 'The Deepening Pool', it's the only Yates book I've read.

Without being sycophantic, my favourite angling author has to be Jim Gibbinson - the technical detail is there in total clarity, but it is the undercurrent of humour which kept me turning the pages over.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Dick Walker's "Conversation pieces" in the Angling Times in the 1960s are *still* the most enjoyable examples of angling writing I know. I've got a fair-sized collection of angling books, but very few published after 1970 (although I've read plenty of them from the public library).

Guest Josh Iddon

Im reading Izaak Walton's 'The Compleat Angler' at the moment, at first i have to be honest and I thought it would be the type of thing people say are good just because its old. But I am genuinly enjoying it, and even more surprisingly im learning from it! I just like finding out how they used to fish and the methods used, they made fishing line out of horse hair! And find ti funny that they could catch fish with the tackle they use and we still struggle. The old English is also a lot easier to understand than I first thought. Josh :)