Country national anthems

Guest Jan V

Are there restrictions in your country (England) on how the national anthem is sung (God save The Queen - I assume)? Artists can do anything they want to when singing "The Star Spangled Banner" to the point where we mute the TV when it is sung. When I was a kid the song was sung so the spectators could sing along in an act of patriotism. I am fiercely patriotic but am ashamed of what I sometimes hear.

The musical version played at the Olympics was quite striking IMHO. But the creative license used by some of Americans who fancy themself as musical artists is enough to make one throw up.

Youtube Video ->Original Video

Youtube Video ->

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our national anthem Is a National Disgrace !

It exults the Queen not the country or the good poeple wich live here, Kind of misses the piont as I see it , we also share the tune with Liechtenstein I think, (if not them some other small Europian country)

heres the Lyrics

God save our gracious Queen,1

Long live our noble Queen,

God save the Queen:

Send her victorious,

Happy and glorious,

Long to reign over us:

God save the Queen.

O Lord, our God, arise,

Scatter her enemies,

And make them fall.

Confound their politics,

Frustrate their knavish tricks,

On Thee our hopes we fix,

God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store,

On her be pleased to pour;

Long may she reign:

May she defend our laws,

And ever give us cause

To sing with heart and voice

God save the Queen.*

:yawn:

See what I mean! I do however appologiese we get a mention in Line 14 God save us all, which is about right having to listen to that dross for thirteen lines :lol:

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

smilar to "All Hail the Chief" played for our president. You're right, at least our national anthem is about a very most respected symbol of our country and not just one person. But can you guys hype and jazz your (her) song up w/o any repercussions?

Edited by Jan V

But can you guys hype and jazz your (her) song up w/o any repercussions?

Well, yes. It's only a song - we can do whatever we like to it. I don't think there are any laws proscribing inappropriate musical interpretations! I don't think I've ever heard anyone muck about with it though. Not through any innate respect for what it symbolises or anything like that though, I'm sure - probably just because it's never really occurred to anyone.

I think that the authorities in this country have not thought our national anthem through in this modern age.

It alienates two sections of the nationals immediately - the Republicans will not pay homage to the queen or any other royal - then we have the atheists!!

GOD save the QUEEN?

Surely they should change it!! What about "Land of Hope and Glory" or "Rule Britania"?

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

It doesn't mean a lot to me, being both a republican and an athiest probably doesn't help though.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I think two causes for the myriad of variations in the way ours is sung could well be

- it is used to open most major televised sporting events such as football, auto races, etc.

- it is a great song but the vocal range is so wide that very few people (and that includes many professional singers) can manage to hit all the notes as it is written.

We should probably change ours too just to make it possible for normal people to sing it.

This one is good.

Youtube Video ->Original Video

And this as well - with a tune that may be familiar to you.

Youtube Video ->
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

A few words on our national anthem...

The tune dates back to europe in the 17th century, its first known publication being in a hymnal ''thesaurus musicus'' published in 1740.

Beethoven wrote some piano variations on it and it is used as a national tune in twenty or so nations inc. England (for over 200 years).

It also features in the musical heritage of Sweden, Russia and Germany, quite apt considering the heritage of our Royal family.

It is also the tune to an American hymn called... ''My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty''

which was written by an American Samuel Smith, a Baptist preacher from Boston Mass. who knew the tune as ''America''

His hymn originally of 5 stanzas was soon reduced to 4 because of a strong anti-British sentiment.

Incidentally ''The Star Spangled Banner'' was not officially adopted as the U.S. national anthem until March 3rd 1931.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Incidentally ''The Star Spangled Banner'' was not officially adopted as the U.S. national anthem until March 3rd 1931.

and what a mistake that was.... obviously done by those who would never try to sing it. "America" and "America the Beautiful" are the songs we sang in school along with the "Battle Hymn of the Republic".