Country national anthems

Guest Jan V

What has "Land of hope and glory" got to do with God?

What has it got to do with Britain today? Not a lot I think.

Dear Land of Hope, thy hope is crowned.

God make thee mightier yet!

On Sov'reign brows, beloved, renowned,

Once more thy crown is set.

Thine equal laws, by Freedom gained,

Have ruled thee well and long;

By Freedom gained, by Truth maintained,

Thine Empire shall be strong.

Land of Hope and Glory, Mother of the Free,

How shall we extol thee, who are born of thee?

Wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set;

God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet.

Thy fame is ancient as the days,

As Ocean large and wide:

A pride that dares, and heeds not praise,

A stern and silent pride:

Not that false joy that dreams content

With what our sires have won;

The blood a hero sire hath spent

Still nerves a hero son.

John.

PS. For the 2012 Olympics, I think that The Kaiser Chiefs 'I Predict a Riot', might be more appropriate.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres a couple of our tunes i hear with different words sung in america :D

What has it got to do with Britain today? Not a lot I think.

Dear Land of Hope, thy hope is crowned.

God make thee mightier yet!

On Sov'reign brows, beloved, renowned,

Once more thy crown is set.

Thine equal laws, by Freedom gained,

Have ruled thee well and long;

By Freedom gained, by Truth maintained,

Thine Empire shall be strong.

Land of Hope and Glory, Mother of the Free,

How shall we extol thee, who are born of thee?

Wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set;

Thy fame is ancient as the days,

As Ocean large and wide:

A pride that dares, and heeds not praise,

A stern and silent pride:

Not that false joy that dreams content

With what our sires have won;

The blood a hero sire hath spent

Still nerves a hero son.

John.

PS. For the 2012 Olympics, I think that The Kaiser Chiefs 'I Predict a Riot', might be more appropriate.

i'm a fire starter more like :D

Youtube Video ->Original Video

great vid

the words relating to "god" are from a time when punishment was administered if you disbelieved in it ,just substitute anything you wish instead , i prefer jerusalem which is even more vague :D

few satanic mills now but its still a good tune and from a time when england was mentioned with pride

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Waltzing Matilda, ..... centered on the sheep stealing activities of an itinerant vagabond....

'Ere! You be careful with your nastertiums mate.

'tis true I once cornered a ram and clipped round its "giblets" for fly-tying material, but the other 99.99% of said jumbuck was returned to its owner.

Will put my hand up to illicit meat from various other beasts, but sheep, Nah! Venison beats mutton any day.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

'Ere! You be careful with your nastertiums mate.

'tis true I once cornered a ram and clipped round its "giblets" for fly-tying material, but the other 99.99% of said jumbuck was returned to its owner.

Will put my hand up to illicit meat from various other beasts, but sheep, Nah! Venison beats mutton any day.

found a dead mink today PM me your addy and i will send it on :D

as for Jans question can it be jazzed up ,well the sex pistols did (in title)and there was mutterings but they didnt hang ,only the pompous got "upset" (and were on telly to show it)everyone else didnt give a fook and probably pint in hand her mum danced to it the lovely old stick ,the same pompous idiots got on their high horses when life of brian was mentioned :rolleyes:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

theres a couple of our tunes i hear with different words sung in america :D

We liked the tune(s) but didn't have a King or Queen that needed saving so we had to improvise. B)

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I can't see the British national anthem being dumped but I can see an English national anthem comming to the fore.

Either Jeruselem or Land of Hope and Glory would fit the bill nicely and would if nothing else provide an official answer to the Welsh "Land of my fathers" or "Men of Harlech" at home international events.

Efit: Just found this.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I've always loved the Italian one, sounds great at Rugby matches :-

Youtube Video ->

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

My favourite is little Leanne Rimes!!

Colin

She has a beautiful voice but it still comes down to the song being song other than in the tempo, and I believe the spirit, in which Frances Scott Key meant it be done. I'm a purtist and some things just should not be altered or embelished. We sang this sound each day, to start our school day (along with the pledge of allegiance to our flag) and it was done respectfully. All students were able to sing along as the tempos was in it's most traditional manner. The same is true of the singing prior to most sports events. It seems the singing is done more to show off the artist's abiliy to alter and personalize the song rather than show respect to our country. Call me old, if you wish (even though 56 doesn't seem that old to me) and set in my ways.

I do recall, though, many student did modify he last line to express our enthusisam for the city major league baseball team (the Milwaukee Braves). Many a student was in trouble when they sang "O''er the land of the free and the home of the BRAVES!" rather than "..... "and the home of the "brave"."