Its such a shame

Steve Randles

Spot on Emz, it is just a forum not the United Nations, we've all got opinions, and right or wrong, all got the right to express them, common sense dictates where and when.

The thing that's annoying me about some of the answers so far is, that people expect the mods to sort it all out for them. A little bit of commonsense, tolerance and self restaint, would solve most of the problems.

Thats not too much to ask from a group of adults......is it?

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rabbit
It seems that if anyone just lately throws up any comment that does not 'fit' with a certain few then the accusation that they must be 'pc'. In other words they are not worthy of making comment, that their views are political, that they instead are the only ones that have the franchise of common sense thinking.

I accept their are some strange things that happen in the pc world and is obviously out of step with normal life, but these people are fast becoming discredited and exposed for what they are naive and shallow.Please dont glibly accuse people as 'pc ' when their views are not in keeping with your own..

Did I write that?? Not aimed at a particular Retail Outlet :lol: But then again.....

Edited by rabbit

Guest Ferret1959

The place has just got to big that's all.

I use a few small site forums and they are fine.

The more people using the place the more trouble you will get.

Imagine your nice friendly local boozer, half a dozen in each night is nice and pally.

A coach load of qutsiders call in then things get iffy.

The way I look at it is read the posts you enjoy, ignore the othere.

I get loads of sh1t with my posts but I'm still here and will carry one posting.

Been here to long now and would miss the place. :)

It's just a sign of success. :)

The other is to have a second forum for those who after so many post have proved they can debate items without causing offence and are invited on board, I believe this would improve the overal quality of posting.
hmmmm this second forum could be pretty boring ,a lot like church sermons or political party rallies preaching to the converted :rolleyes: but even these "PC" posters would soon get sick of agreeing with each other back patting and informing each other how great they were :rolleyes:

Perhaps also if a certain user is complained about by more than 5 people by mods via PM, then perhaps they should be barred..

whilst chesters1 isnt by any means making himself whiter than white! 5 complaints isnt really hard to get in any post that raises any controvercy of any kind ,each post should be judged on its contents and if neccessary the post deleted rather than the poster ,but as the saying goes you cant please all of the people all of the time :(

selected line from gozzers post

I think some people scan a post quickly and if 'key' words appear then it's like a red rag to a bull, and they fire of a defensive salvo in return, which attracts an abrasive response and so on until 4 or 5 people are involved, and a cyber battle breaks out.

yes some post readers do just see those words and fire off before actually seeing the context in which the words were chosen to be posted ,as i have said before try to see what is meant behind the words rather than the words themselves :schmoll:

hopefully most of my posts on contravercial subjects take both sides of it unfortunatly its the side that the reader doesent like that sets things off ,everything in life is two sided taking just one is a tad silly and you end up censoring yourself by not looking at the other side of the argument .

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I think Ferrets close to the money on this when he said "The place has just got to big that's all."

On a small forum, everyone pretty much knows everyone else. They do have arguments, but these are quickly resolved. Once a forum gets as big as AN, folks tend to form little 'Gangs' (for want of a better word). Then when an argument starts, just like on a small forum, it escalates as each 'gang' charges on in to support their mate. Grudges are then formed and big fights are created from insignificant issues.

Major problem on here is that some of the more self opinionated posters don't seem to realise that no matter how much they rant and rave and critisise, no one really takes any notice of them, Do any of us really think that Tony Blair takes the slightest bit of notice of what is written on this forum??

Does anyone think that anybody in gov't reads whether any of us on AN is in favor of hanging or whatever else we discuss?

Winter was a classic case in point, he argued and argued and made not the slightest bit of difference to anything, he has done the right thing and decided to campaign where it matters i.e. in his local press and with letters to his MP.

Any one who wants should take a leaf out of Leons book, he doesn't waste words on AN, maybe he points us in the right direction now and then, but he voices his opinions where they really have effect .

No one will ever stop people posting there strongly held opinions on here, a well cosidered argument can be very educational.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Major problem on here is that some of the more self opinionated posters don't seem to realise that no matter how much they rant and rave and critisise, no one really takes any notice of them, Do any of us really think that Tony Blair takes the slightest bit of notice of what is written on this forum??

i.m sure he does (or his cronies do) lots of posts bringing "concern" to his "beliefs" have now been proved right (and the posts have been highly "rated" in fighting terms) :D

the posts may not be read by tony himself but no-doupt lower etchelons start thinking and questioning themselves and it works upwards or outwards via the press ,just a hint here and there on the web starts minds working ,NO AN isnt the "united nations" of the virtual world but it could be via a lot of incidental consequences a "district" office :D

i'm sure our more heated bebarcles (sp?) get mentions on other sites and the more they get mentioned the higher the "search" terms get hits in casual web searches ,just try K p morritt ,most hits will come here or to me via letters in papers in their online versions .

AN wont be the highest in anything in searching for !.E. Iraq etc but it will be there and open to anyone to view :) and seeing anything via the web or text or fax using "hot" words are diverted to government departments i'm surea few of the views on here right or wrong are already boxed away in a government basement or server :unsure:

i emailed slobo himself with a sure fired way of forcing the "alies" to ethnically cleanse the country he was having "problems with" (his email address was openly available) next day the building was destroyed ,coincidence maybe ;)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

hmmmm this second forum could be pretty boring ,a lot like church sermons or political party rallies preaching to the converted but even these "PC" posters would soon get sick of agreeing with each other back patting and informing each other how great they were

Hi Chester,

People can disagree and debate a subject without out slagging off the each other.

I have done it for years on important issue which could result in very costly decisions being made without name calling.

No one should be subjected to name calling or derision just because they make a statement which has different views from someone else.

Good debate is seldom boring but bad debate is very tiresome.

Those who stated the mods should not have to sort it out are quite right in a perfect situation.

Take Sams flounder post, someone was extremely rude and Sam being Sam shot from the hip, mods stepped in and sorted things. The sad part was not only was a good debate down graded bystanders actually thought it was funny which is very sad.

There are those who have stated it is down to the number of members but why surely large does not mean poor quality, it should mean a wider debate and more opinions which in my book should not add up to more rudeness.

It would appear that some people join the site just to wind others or the site as a whole up which is not acceptable.

I do not know the answer but it is a shame that a good forum is being torn apart by a few people.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Maybe it's not my place to say this, because I still see my self as a newcomer.

The biggest shame of all IMO, is that this thread affects everyone on this forum, but 29 posts from 18 members says it all.

Where are the usual 'mudslingers', don't they have a sensible opinion on this, or do they just not care?

Are there not enough 'key' words to raise the hackles?

Is there no-one to take a pop at, with a snide comment?

It's an issue that I've heard mentioned on here, and other forums, with some concern. Steve was concerned enough to post it with, (sorry if I'm wrong Steve) just a hope that, somehow it might be discussed

and resolved, at least to some extent.

I've only just found AN, and I don't want to lose it because of some petty squabbles.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I suppose I am one of the "mud slingers" as I only see things in black and white (I don't see "grey" areas). I have been a regular on AN without too much trouble but of late we have had posters absolutely crucifying someone who ASKED FOR ADVICE, complaining if someone posts a risque photo or posts something that they don't agree with.

There is a BACK button on you computer which you can use if you can't find something erudite to say.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription