GOOD ANGLING

sam-cox

this forums is becoming to nanny for me im going to use mike trussles forums more often now!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this forums is becoming to nanny for me im going to use mike trussles forums more often now!

Don't let the door hit you on the arse on your way out Sam. ;)

Seriously Sam, not everyone is so demanding as you. I caught plenty of reasonable sized fish last year, but my enjoyment came from the whole fishing experience, not just landing a good fish. To my mind, by fishing 18 hours a week you are denying yourself a huge chunk of the enjoyment because you don't have time for the anticipation to build.

Guest muttley
Why criticise anyone for posting a topic at all? Differences in opinion I can understand. Heated debate, I can also understand. But petty criticism just for the sake of it baffles me. Why say anything at all if it doesn't add anything to the thread except to start bad feeling?

Anyway, back to the topic of the thread.

As I mentioned before, a lot of what makes fishing enjoyable, in my opinion, is what goes on in the anglers mind. We've all seen the kid on the pier using the wrong bait, the wrong tackle, etc. Even a few friendly words of advice go unheard because he is convinced that he's going to catch the big one any minute. I've also fished with anglers who have got 50 years experience under their belt. Still using the same tackle as they were 50 years ago, and using the wrong bait because they once caught a big Cod on it in 1965. These anglers know nothing of the things that are working against them, and they don't care. They are optimistic and will enjoy their fishing no matter what. They become conditioned to not catching anything, so even a pouting or a whiting makes the day a successful one for them.

Then you've got the angler who has enjoyed past success. He knows to choose the tides carefully, he knows that he needs top quality, fresh bait. He also knows where and how to fish for different species. He's probably spent a fortune on good tackle over the years, or even bought a boat of his own, he's probably had casting lessons and read plenty of books on his sport. Yet now the days when he is successful are getting fewer and fewer. The size of the fish that he does manage to catch are getting smaller and smaller. He knows that the sea fishery is not being managed properly, he knows what a gill net is and he's also aware of over fishing, etc. So when he goes down to the beach, even if he's got everything right, he doesn't feel very confident.

I tend to think that nowdays, it's the more inexperienced anglers who are getting more enjoyment out of "just being there". Personally, I want more from my sport than that.

Probably the most sensible thing I have read on here so far

As some of you know, i'm primarily an angler for feedstuffs, for my wee ones and the lady boss, but if gan home empty handed, i divn't think of it as a wasted day ,

more like a reminder that them fish oot thar are more canny than we know

Knight

Sorry knight, I've got to ask.

Are you an Eskimo? :D

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I do eat fish my partner and I love thornies, bass and other fish, however Im never greedy. I find it hard to belive that any one in 2006 needs to angle to feed the family, or have I missread this post?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

I do eat fish my partner and I love thornies, bass and other fish, however Im never greedy. I find it hard to belive that any one in 2006 needs to angle to feed the family, or have I missread this post?

So it makes sense for you to go to your local supermarket and pay around £1.00 for 4 Ounces of cod fillet Sam?, when I can go and catch a whole cod from the beach, which i know is fresh and hasn't been sitting for a week in the fish hold of a trawler, all for a few minutes digging bait !

And i don't " Need " to angle to feed the family, I angle because i enjoy angling, being able to take a fish home for the pot makes the angling better,

Besides this, every fish i catch is one that the netters have missed which if you look at it logically is one in the eye for the netters, if more people took fish home to eat, then the market for netted fish would fall and the netters would have to find something else to do

Knight

And Steve

No I'm not an eskimo, but bl**dy cold enough to be one, :lol:

So the bottom line is Night, that we both agree!

I just read your post wrong, I read it that you had to fish or you would starve to death!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.