AN Fish- in River Test

Tony U

I'm at Timsbury on the 13th Nov - had an invite from Ian Tucker to join a fish-in he's organised. (Ian built me a rod back in the spring).

Directions - from the North (A3057). As you come out of the village of Timsbury - there's a large layby on the lefthand side. Also a sign post for St Andrews church - take this right turn, go down the lane - and take the left fork - which will take you down to the fishing.

C.

Have you ever done any good with the roach there, Chris?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever done any good with the roach there, Chris?

Once - 11th Oct 2003 ( :rolleyes: ) I had some big roach feeding on mashed bread in the slow carrier - didn't connect with any of the really big ones (Alas - as I could see em!) I ended up with 5 to 1½lb. I had 'problems' with the carp that day - they kept bullying the roach off the feed - I landed 3 commons to 9lb that day plus a couple of eels! 'Fun' on light roach tackle!

Incidently the following year I had a 2lb+ perch from the main river. ;)

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Once - 11th Oct 2003 ( :rolleyes: ) I had some big roach feeding on mashed bread in the slow carrier - didn't connect with any of the really big ones (Alas - as I could see em!) I ended up with 5 to 1½lb. I had 'problems' with the carp that day - they kept bullying the roach off the feed - I landed 3 commons to 9lb that day plus a couple of eels! 'Fun' on light roach tackle!

Incidently the following year I had a 2lb+ perch from the main river. ;)

C.

Encouraging! What was the carrier like? Carrying any extra flow/colour? I really want one of those roach, but I also don't want to waste a day sitting it out when there's so much fun to be had with the fly and the float...

Were you quivertipping?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Encouraging! What was the carrier like? Carrying any extra flow/colour? I really want one of those roach, but I also don't want to waste a day sitting it out when there's so much fun to be had with the fly and the float...

Were you quivertipping?

Certainly wasn't extra colour - as I could clearly see the fish. Didn't have my quiver rod with me so simply took the float off my trotting rod and lowered the bait into the swim. (Another advantage of a 15' rod!) Was striking when I saw the bread get taken!

C.

Certainly wasn't extra colour - as I could clearly see the fish. Didn't have my quiver rod with me so simply took the float off my trotting rod and lowered the bait into the swim. (Another advantage of a 15' rod!) Was striking when I saw the bread get taken!

C.

Thanks for that Chris, nice work :)

Thanks for that Chris, nice work :)

Just had another peek at my diary entry for that day - I recorded the weather as 'Bright Sunshine' - not especailly roachy conditions!

C.

Just had another peek at my diary entry for that day - I recorded the weather as 'Bright Sunshine' - not especailly roachy conditions!

C.

Blimey, there's hope for us after all... :)

Were you a decent distance from other anglers? I imagine those roach are extremely spooky, especially if it's bright.

Blimey, there's hope for us after all... :)

Were you a decent distance from other anglers? I imagine those roach are extremely spooky, especially if it's bright.

Yes - as I recall I switched to the carrier mid-afternoon as no one else was fishing it - caught all the fish about 2/3rds of the way down....

C.

My mental arithmetic suggests that there's a chance of a space becoming free for this fish-in. If it does I'd love to come along. Mental arithmetic was never my strong point though.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back