Perch

Sled2004

Could easily be an estimated weight by someone who hasn't caught many large perch though. Those things manage to look lots bigger than they really are and without a scale, I know I'd guess wrong.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thought the record was 4lb + something. if its true 5lb perch then your onto a record i think but i like the rest are very sceptical, you need proof before you make claims of a couple of 5lb perch.

indeed they do look large, the 2lb 9oz one i caught a while back looked a lot larger than it was, its probably down to the fact of all the excitment of catching huge perch when you see them out of the water. i kept thinking its gotta be a record its just gotta be, weighed it and boy was i wrong

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

maybe ill make a pond in me back garden and try plump one up. whats that stuff body builders use. thatll add on about 1lb a day soon get me a fifty.

ps.the record is currently 5lb 15oz.(soon to become 50lb 15oz)

Edited by rooney888
84854438.png

Hey, it's only Sled's 9th post and everyone's jumping on him. The 5 may just have been a misprint. Or maybe he did get a 'five'. Either way, well done Sled for a great catch of perch!

Mispwint posserbly butt tahtt purch beets ur 3 pownder bye 2 ponds :blink:

Could easily be an estimated weight by someone who hasn't caught many large perch though. Those things manage to look lots bigger than they really are and without a scale, I know I'd guess wrong.

That's very true Newt.

At a series of dams on the Upper Medway where I fish, a chap and his son turn up there from time to time. They love talking about fishing, and tell anyone who will listen that the chap has had chub to 7lb, and the lad has caught a 5 lb perch. Neither has ever weighed a fish in their lives.

I got some insight into their "guesstimates" when the chap landed a carp of 9 or 10 lb, and estimated it at 16 lb.

Nevertheless they are good anglers in that they catch plenty of good fish. Neither are they blatant liars - just over optimistic in their estimates. Scale down their weights a bit and you still have some valuable information.

The lad's description of how the alleged 5 lb perch had grabbed a roach he was playing had a ring of truth to it - so I fished the same spot and had a series of decent perch, including two over 3 lb.

So the tongue-in-cheek advice to get some red maggots and worms and get down to "Westbury" might in fact be very good advice indeed

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...