• Ivan Marks
    • Matt Hayes
    • Bob Nudd
    • Chris Yates
    • Billy Lane
    • Bernard Venables
    • Dick Clegg
    • Benny Ashurst

I think that the first thing is to differentiate between the greatest angler of all time and the person who has made the greatest contribution to angling. With regard to who is te greatest angler I personally believe that he or she would have to be profficient and successful over a wide range of types i.e. sea, coarse, game and match whilst displaying an excellent knowledge of watercraft and the use of various methods. In the real world there are many people who have these credentials but only a few who are in the public domain. Of those who are in the public domain I would have to go for John Wilson as over a long period of time he has ticked more boxes than anyone else.

Paul

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of who influenced my fishing most at an early age, I think Ivan Marks pips it. His chapter on match fishing in "Collins Encyclopedia of Fishing in Britain and Ireland" defined my approach to angling from the age of 11. At the same time, the kind old chap next door had given me a pile of his old fishing magazines from the sixties and seventies. Articles in those magazines by Walker et al continue to inspire me today, though at the time they dealt with waters and fish I just didn't have access to. I've voted Walker, because I think his contribution changed the way that people approach angling, and has had and will continue to have the greatest effect. My background is science, and his analytical, empirical approach makes sense to me. I love quotes like [on the opacity of fly lines]

"Viewed from below, they all appear dark, even the white ones. I know this because I have taken the trouble to look at them from below the water's surface. May I say that it would be a good thing if others who wish to discuss such matters did the same, instead of putting forward ideas based upon guesses about what can be seen, many of which are wrong. I sometimes think that anglers would rather spend an hour arguing than five minutes discovering the truth by practical experiment"

Having said all that, I'm increasingly drawn to Yates's writing for his whimsical and essentially romantic attitude. I think RW inspires me to catch more, I think CY inspires me to enjoy more.

In terms of who influenced my fishing most at an early age, I think Ivan Marks pips it. His chapter on match fishing in "Collins Encyclopedia of Fishing in Britain and Ireland" defined my approach to angling from the age of 11. At the same time, the kind old chap next door had given me a pile of his old fishing magazines from the sixties and seventies. Articles in those magazines by Walker et al continue to inspire me today, though at the time they dealt with waters and fish I just didn't have access to. I've voted Walker, because I think his contribution changed the way that people approach angling, and has had and will continue to have the greatest effect. My background is science, and his analytical, empirical approach makes sense to me. I love quotes like [on the opacity of fly lines]

"Viewed from below, they all appear dark, even the white ones. I know this because I have taken the trouble to look at them from below the water's surface. May I say that it would be a good thing if others who wish to discuss such matters did the same, instead of putting forward ideas based upon guesses about what can be seen, many of which are wrong. I sometimes think that anglers would rather spend an hour arguing than five minutes discovering the truth by practical experiment"

Having said all that, I'm increasingly drawn to Yates's writing for his whimsical and essentially romantic attitude. I think RW inspires me to catch more, I think CY inspires me to enjoy more.

I agree - I think "Greatest" should include inspirational and educational as well as a great all round angler.

John Wilson, arriving at private swims on a TV programme, when he's had a swim fed for him for a week prior doesn't really do it for me. It's not "who's your favourite TV angler?" Otherwise I'd be asking why Mick Brown wasn't on there and I'd be voting for him.

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

I think that I have probably fished with some of the best ever, but two I would probably rate as being of the very very best, aren't mentioned, they are FJT and Alan Brown of Hitchin. Jack Hilton was pretty good too! There are a lot more who did a lot of the groundwork that has influenced many facets of angling today not on that list.

Edited by chevin

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Perhaps we should not refer to greatest but rather the most influential. Like one or two others I have never rated Walker as a great, but rather as an influential angler. And when I look around me at the 'instant success carp industry' I rather wonder if that influence has really been in the best interests of angling. That said, I often wonder how Walker would view the angling world of today. The world of speciman angling has seen some huge strides since his time, some good, but not always.

If we relate to solely to influence then it probably boils down to Walker, Venables and Wilson, and I don't think any of them could be classed as truly great.

Boozle, re Mick Brown, at one time I would have agreed with you. But I'm not so sure that Fox has done him any great favours.

Edited by Peter Waller

I agree - I think "Greatest" should include inspirational and educational as well as a great all round angler.

John Wilson, arriving at private swims on a TV programme, when he's had a swim fed for him for a week prior doesn't really do it for me. It's not "who's your favourite TV angler?" Otherwise I'd be asking why Mick Brown wasn't on there and I'd be voting for him.

And what would you reaction have been if he had blanked loads of times in the upteen number of series that have made it on to the box? Very negative I suspect as it would not have shown a nation the appeal that angling can have.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Such polls are always skewed in favour of contemporary people and so I find it interesting that Dick Walker is at the top. It's a choice I wholeheartedly agree with.

Many of our younger members just can't conceive what fishing was like before Walker. He was the first to show that it was possible to catch specimen fish deliberately and consistently. Before then such catches were considered "fish of a lifetime". Fishing really was in the Dark Ages!

What's more Walker had this uncanny ability to explain to his audience how they could do the same. It's true to say that he had the greatest influence of any coarse angler of my generation.

Walker's catches speak for themselves. He smashed the then carp record by a huge margin - and held it for almost 40 years! He also held the rainbow trout record and was a fine fly fisherman, inventing many fly patterns into the bargain. Walker also caught a record dace on the fly, but as it was in the closed season it didn't count.

Walker was also a competent match angler. The press challenged him to a series of 3 matches against Tom Sails, the captain of the team that won the National that year. The deciding match was on a venue that neither had ever seen. Walker won it with a catch that included a double figure barbel!

Dick had so many ideas ahead of his time that it's impossible to list them all. What's more, most have stood the test of time. It's easy to say with the benefit of hindsight that some are now outdated. But it's equally true to say that many of today's ideas will be considered just as outdated in the years to come.

In fact Walker totally revolutionised coarse fishing. And (good as they are) the same certainly can't be said of any of the others.

I'd have to scratch my head as to who I'd vote as runner-up, but for me there is only one winner - and by a mile.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

It makes me laugh when i see people knocking Wilsons fishing ability! many obviously havnt been around long enough to know that before "Go fishing" he was all ready an acknowledged angler in specimen circles.Dont people think that there was a reason he got the job? Forget about the constraints of filming a sucsessfull angling programe regardless of any thing he uses to maximise his chances of producing some good fish for the camera he still has to catch them! i would like to see his knockers try even with the same benifits! Do you really think its as easy as just prebaiting and having a venue to yourselves?

So how did he manage to beat Dick Clegg then?

Certainly a very acomplished all round angler whether you like or (as I do) dislike his tv personality!

Whilst I like Mick Brown both as a person,angler and tv presenter you can hardly rate him as a good all rounder! Even if you dont know him just watch how he copes with the many other disiplines (many only having been tried since his entry into tv) on his programmes with Matt hayes who regularly stuffs him in most none pike situations! Not being critical of the guy but he is no "great allrounder" as im sure he would freely admit.

I keep on about "all rounders" as surely any one considered for the tile of "greatest" would have to be one?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I voted Dick Walker, the amount of tackle developement both in game and coarse fishing down to him is enormous. He totally revolutionised many forms of angling, I would agree FJ Taylor should be there also, but there again he was overshadowed by Dick. Let it not be forgotten that Richard also brought forward many ideas still being re-hashed in angling magazines today.

PS. If anyone has a copy of Stillwater Angling for sale pm me.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Greg, I've 2 copies of Stillwater Angling for sale - please follow the link below to Classic Fishing Books.

BTW, I'm looking for a dust wrapper for a 1st edition of this book. If anyone can help, either with just the dust wrapper or a complete 1st edition then please get in touch.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net