List of scientists who became creationists after studying the evidence.

Chris Plumb

All,

We may be setting a new record! I am adding my share with the 20th post TO A BLANK PAGE!!

The Pope;

“When we read about creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician, with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so.He created human beings and let them develop according to the internal laws that he gave to each one so they would reach their fulfillment.” Evolution in nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation, because evolution requires the creation of beings that evolve."

Phone

Edit: once again - showing their profound leadership - Ken 3 posts - Cory 4 posts.

But how did he create human beings, and all the things that came before, if he didn't use magic? :huh:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer,

Certainly this is "plowed ground" - The answer is

FAITH.

How do you justify "the big bang"? Did it not take a spark from "something"? - (call it what you wish). How do you account for the rapid evolution of humans compared to other fauna and flora? I guess you could say "good luck" is a form of magic - or maybe you could call it faith?

Phone

I used to go out with a girl called Faith, she was gorgeous. I was full of hope for a while, but she wasn't very charitable, so I finished with her. I haven't had much to do with faith ever since.

I haven't heard the "Only believe, and thou shall see" line for ages. It was from a guy selling religion on my door step. I asked him if it was the same as "only pretend and thou shall see", he didn't think it was very funny and left. No sense of humour some folks!

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer,

Certainly this is "plowed ground" - The answer is

FAITH.

How do you justify "the big bang"? Did it not take a spark from "something"? - (call it what you wish). How do you account for the rapid evolution of humans compared to other fauna and flora? I guess you could say "good luck" is a form of magic - or maybe you could call it faith?

Phone

Faith is pretending to know things you cannot possibly know. If you know it and can show it you don't need faith.

Whales evolved even more "rapidly" than Homo sapiens. Maybe that was just a fluke?

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I used to go out with a girl called Faith, she was gorgeous. I was full of hope for a while, but she wasn't very charitable, so I finished with her. I haven't had much to do with faith ever since.

I haven't heard the "Only believe, and thou shall see" line for ages. It was from a guy selling religion on my door step. I asked him if it was the same as "only pretend and thou shall see", he didn't think it was very funny and left. No sense of humour some folks!

John.

They don't like it if you rattle their door at ten o' the clock on a Saturday morning and ask them if they have thought about giving up Jesus, telling them that maybe you can help them with that whilst quoting a few sentences from "The God Delusion".

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Cory,

And the big bang?

Phone

What about it Phone? There is nothing about the BB that either proves nor disproves a personal god. Please don't use the "you can't get nothing from nothing" gambit. When was the last time you or any scientist ever had a sample of nothing to experiment with?

Whales evolved even more "rapidly" than Homo sapiens. Maybe that was just a fluke?

Was that an intentional pun?

The god of the gaps has to find ever more dark and obscure corners to try to hide in. The pope is just changing the sales patter slightly to adapt to a changing business environment, gotta keep that lucre pouring in, all those gold-trimmed dresses and silk slippers don't come for free.

• Like 1

Thanks for info on Hinduism, Ken.

Your list of scientists is fascinating. Surprised you say it's low on physics, cosmology and biological sciences as the lists for those currently alive for biomedical sciences and physics & astronomy are the longest - though whether overall they are longer or shorter than you'd expect I find it hard to judge.

What amazes me from the start of that webpage is that the % of Nobel prize winners from 1901 to 2000 who identify in some way as Christian is 65% for physics, whereas for literature it is only 45%. Clearly that must be a broad definition of Christian, but even so I'm surprised it's so high.

Another surprise is that in the 'Other' category for those currently alive there is a young earth creationist - the last on the list, a medic who it seems just missed a Nobel prize, Raymond Damadian - who I'd never heard of!

J

When I say it's a short list, I mean it is if you look at the number of posts available in renowned universities around the world.

As for the Nobel prize winners, a lot of those listed as active in the 20th century did most of their work in the 19th. Lord Kelvin being the prime example.

It was a very different world back in the 19th and 20th centuries and with Christian philanthropy funding universities, it was probably a bad time for academics to take a stand against Christianity in the public arena - although the likes of Bertrand Russell managed quite well.

Edit: once again - showing their profound leadership - Ken 3 posts - Cory 4 posts.

Yes but only the first one took a distinctly atheistic perspective (mainly due to my inability not to take the pi55) and I can't help but note that after a late start, Phone is on three.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

All,

First, Ken is right - and here is my last post (until the "subject" comes up again).

Our learned scientists have the exact same problem as the religious experts. I carefully crafted my first post as a quote from the "religious" point. Second, from the secular point of view. Of course atheists have faith. Our non-believer immediately changed faith to "religious" faith and droned on about the SOS. Consider how many "faith based" entities, objects, or creatures that are not or cannot be specifically designated or precisely described for you every day. That's faith.

Atheists can no more disprove my faith than they can be assured their car will start in the morning, that they will have a good time fishing next time, that there is a remote possibility they will catch something.

Phone

PS: Ken, I have no fear of passing you on these related threads. Not that that matters, I enjoy most of your dogma.