I don't think they'd get a Wingham membership !

Tigger

Gozzer, the topic as usual has swayed away from the video in the first post to a more general "why does it matter how you treat them since your sticking a hook in their gobs so whats wrong with giving them a boot kind of mentality"

ive asked once or twice what good it does trying to do your best to get them back using a bit of care during the whole process and havnt had an answer but get a load of bs about if you care about them then why fish for them.

Its getting f'kin stupid.

Sorry for the late reply Andy. There's nothing wrong with you doing your best to handle fish as well as you can. I believe that the majority of UK anglers do the same. I think it was Kiri that said we each have our own standards, which again I think is true. Anglers are a funny bunch, and some believe that some fish deserve better care than others, even you said that you were glad it wasn't pike this time, implying a bias towards the treatment of pike. I sometimes use a keepnet, some think its barbaric, I don't, I've used them all my life and will continue, as long as it's legal. The thing I was getting at, is that it's no use getting too upset over a few tench, when we have a popular system in place that is detriment to fish, and their surroundings, and, has a knock on effect on other waters.

One thing is true, and that is if we really cared for the fish, we wouldn't bother them at all. How many of the millions of anglers would campaign against pollution, abstraction, discharges etc, if it wasn't in their own interest. Blimey, many are too apathetic to do anything now, and it is in their interest.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

All,

Same old agenda (as noted by Andy) - UK vs the world.

BTW - those are not "Phone's" figures. Few in the UK will find angler related fish kills of much significance or consequence.

Phone

If you are a successful angler you kill fish - how hard is that to accept?

You do like to wind up the Brits don't you Phone. :)

It's not the UK against the world, just Phone against Anglersnet. This forum doesn't represent the whole of the angling population of UK, because I, and I suspect many others on here wouldn't post if it did. You need to look at some of the other forums, or even post your figures on there and see the reaction. (Yes they are your figures, you brought them to us so you own them) I lurk on a few forums, to try and get a feel for the popular feelings, (that's why I get so frustrated reading some of the stuff). One I have followed recently is Maggotdrowners, if you want an insight into the mentality of some other anglers, have a quick look on there. I recommend a thread in the fishing forum, about waterproof trousers, the best laugh I've had in ages.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

gozzer,

First, those are not Phone's figures. In all likeyhood we don't see a variety of posters because they have been willing to investigate. It's OK to be argumentative up to a point - in fact - fun.

Andy,

No harm in being a good steward of nature. It is the extreme to which you suggest that is silly. Did you notice in the video - the fish began swimming away.

Phone

gozzer,

First, those are not Phone's figures. In all likeyhood we don't see a variety of posters because they have been willing to investigate. It's OK to be argumentative up to a point - in fact - fun.

Phone

I'm not sure what you mean with that post Phone. Are you saying that many on here aren't posting because they have investigated the figures you posted, and found them correct??

It's all fun Phone, I suggest you treat the forum like your fishing, don't take it too seriously. :D

John.

Sorry for the late reply Andy. There's nothing wrong with you doing your best to handle fish as well as you can. I believe that the majority of UK anglers do the same. I think it was Kiri that said we each have our own standards, which again I think is true. Anglers are a funny bunch, and some believe that some fish deserve better care than others, even you said that you were glad it wasn't pike this time, implying a bias towards the treatment of pike. I sometimes use a keepnet, some think its barbaric, I don't, I've used them all my life and will continue, as long as it's legal. The thing I was getting at, is that it's no use getting too upset over a few tench, when we have a popular system in place that is detriment to fish, and their surroundings, and, has a knock on effect on other waters.

One thing is true, and that is if we really cared for the fish, we wouldn't bother them at all. How many of the millions of anglers would campaign against pollution, abstraction, discharges etc, if it wasn't in their own interest. Blimey, many are too apathetic to do anything now, and it is in their interest.

John.

A good response :thumbs: btw the pike thing was tongue in cheek since the last thread with vid of.pike with the slit throat where im sure someone said something along the lines of 'would you be like this if it were something other than pike'

so not being bias, though i dont like bream i still wouldnt wish poor treatment on them.

As for a standard of care im certain the most basic standard is dont dump a shite load of fish on the ground and kick them.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Well, personally, I still grassed these buggers up to SEPA, and I will probably never get the chance to fish that loch again. And while I probably wouldn't have found it had I not been fishing, I would still have reported it were I not an angler. But then I'm also someone who used to be an aquatic biologist, so it's something I would be interested in and I would understand the impact of this kind of thing.

8E0CC9AD-C1BD-4D3B-B3E0-4FF4C51148D9_zps

5B530C49-50F8-4787-9C78-93D539492645_zps

78B77C33-E338-4972-91B2-EDAB83199F33_zps

6D26950C-7036-40EC-A515-CDF42E90FBAD_zps

45775149-40F1-4183-91C8-BC6BB0A042E9_zps

2D928674-D858-4AE1-ADB2-8CB32ADB507A_zps

874E5B3B-31B1-4BB4-B9AA-56E2F8A67443_zps

B3E2D1C1-205F-4C82-9F6F-E12AFDC63880_zps

Overflowing septic tank, I think. Straight into an oligotrophic loch. SEPA guys said it wasn't uncommon, especially on holiday lets. My question would be why the overflow is there, out of sight and out of mind and running down the bank into the loch, it should be on the bloody doorstep of the house!

Overflowing septic tank, I think. Straight into an oligotrophic loch. SEPA guys said it wasn't uncommon, especially on holiday lets. My question would be why the overflow is there, out of sight and out of mind and running down the bank into the loch, it should be on the bloody doorstep of the house!

Do you know if anything was done about it Steve ?