Blimey that's a big-un!

Chris Plumb

Beast of a fish but the lakes in northern Italy do have a history of throwing up the occasional monster pike of over 50lb.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Fabulous fish.

One small worry, with it being held like that and given it's obvious weight, its abdomen is being quite severely compressed. I would worry about the long term effect on organs and the fishes long term survivability.

A fish grabbed from underneath and lifted out of the water by a well-meaning angler can quickly suffer lethal internal injury, says Heise. The potential for injury increases as fish increase in size.

I stole this from an article on catch and release on another thread

This fish may not have looked quite so spectacular if photographed laying down, but it almost certainly would have been safer.

Didn't I read on here not too long ago about deaths of trout water pike following catch and release ?

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

A fish grabbed from underneath and lifted out of the water by a well-meaning angler can quickly suffer lethal internal injury, says Heise. The potential for injury increases as fish increase in size.
Undoubtably a quote from Brian Heise, Associate Professor - Natural Resource Sciences, Thompson Rivers University, Canada.

Being pulled over the gunwhales of a boat can't have done this big catfish a lot of good.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I hope i'm not breaking any rules here by posting this pic but I thought you might like to see it. I love the pic in the corner. apparently the pike that the big one has latched on to was in to double figures. Just imagine a pike of that size coming up next to the boat.

hugepike1.jpg

sorry about the quality I had to scan the picture to get it on here.

Edited by Anthony78

Effort equals reward!!

Politics of fish handling aside, that's one hell of a fish
Yup

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote