Bring back corperal punnishment.

Ken L

I'm no fan of capital punnishment for a whole list of reasons that have been discussed on other threads. I am however a great believer in corperal punnishment where it's appropriate.

Giving your local scrote 20 lashes is cheap, quick and I believe, far more effective than community service, a suspended sentence or an all expences paid safari holliday to Kenya. And, is an effective way of controlling adolecent behaviour in schools.

The great social experiement that was started in the 1960's had as its central thesis the idea that if you use violence as a punishment, all you do is brutalise the criminal (or naughty child) and in turn lead them to inflict more violent criminal acts on scociety at large. Being nice to them and rewarding them should lead to them being persuaded to work together with other people where we can all get along swimmingly whilst eating tofu and reading the Guardian.

Stop !

It doesn't work !

All the abolition of corperal punnishment has done is teach people that they can be antisocial, violent and intimidating with no unpleasant consequences at all. We have a generation that has grown up thinking (and having this belif reinforced at every stage) that they are affectivly free to commit crime and the punishment will be minimal. Even if they're sent to prison, they'll only serve a third of their tarrif and then they're free to go. Tagging, don't make me laugh. As for ASBO's, they're a status symbol not a punnishment.

Is there anyone here who would have a problem with the re-introduction of corperal punnishment ? If there is, I would genuinly be interested in your reasons for sparing the rod.

On a final note, I grew up at a time when the Isle of Mann still used the birch. Even though I grew up in Birmingham, everybody knew this and if someone we knew was going to the IOM, they would get sturn warning from their peers about the perils of crossing the line on the island.

Although there is a risk of this being an urbal legend, my understanding is that prior to the abolistion of the birch, the total number of reoffenders in the IOM in the 20th century was ......... 2.

Now that's a level of social change that you don't get with an ABSO.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anyone here who would have a problem with the re-introduction of corperal punnishment ? If there is, I would genuinly be interested in your reasons for sparing the rod.

Here's one good, pragmatic reason, Ken:

"A novel reason for abandoning the birch was produced by the local politician who piloted the repeal bill through the local parliament (the House of Keys), Mr George Waft. It was now far from a deterrent, he said, as "The individual and families of anyone birched would benefit considerably by selling their stories to the newspapers" ("Isle of Man to scrap birch at a stroke", The Guardian, London, 6 March 1993)."

http://www.corpun.com/manx.htm

Fair comment in the context of a relativly law abiding small island, but If it were used on a scale that's roughly comparable to the issue of ASBO's accross the UK, I rather doubt that the papers or anyone else would come knocking on the door offering money for the story.

Good bit of digging for the history though. Just like my sister in law, you can tell you're a librarian :P

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Agree 100% and if the papers did go digging for stories any money involved would go to charity by law. That would sort out the offenders and their egos.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

If judicial corporal punishment was ever re-introduced, how soon do you think it would be before the press published the first story about abuse of the system? How many of those responsible for dishing out the birchings would be prepared to carry on with the job once they had been suspected of "enjoying" what they were doing?

As Harry Enfield used to say, "Is that what you want? 'Cos that's what'll happen..."

Everything happens these days in the full glare of publicity and public opinion. That didn't happen in the old days.

The biggest abuse of human rights at the moment is the Human Rights Act.

A simple amendmendment could fix it:

"If a person willingly decides to break the law, he must realise that he/she is putting themselves outside of the human rights law and will be punished for his/her crimes."

It might make people think twice about breaking the law as well!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Actually, if you want a *really* good argument against judicial corporal punishment, you've only got to draw up a quick list of the countries that still practice it and the countries that have banned it. I know which list I'd rather be in when you see who you'd have for company in the "pro" one.

the good old fashioned stocks ,name and shame and sell tomatoe's as a sideline ,covered in rotten fruit you not so much of a hero to other kids.

a good old bit of witch ducking never hurt anyone bar snaggle toothed crones and they usually collect cats and have run down houses

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Countries that use corperal punishment include Singapore, probably the safest place in Asia.

It's true that corperal punnishment is common in countries with unpleasand regimes but it's a mistake to assume that the actions of the whole state system can be pinned to their use of corperal punnishment.

As to people enjoyning it, well that's easy to deal with in the context of adult criminality. Use a machine to beat them.

No questions about black criminals being hit harder than white or vice versa and no big grin on the face a the person doing the beating.

As to people enjoyning it, well that's easy to deal with in the context of adult criminality. Use a machine to beat them.

No questions about black criminals being hit harder than white or vice versa and no big grin on the face a the person doing the beating.

You mean I can't apply for the job :( :( :( I'd quite enjoy dealing with some of the local Chavs !

Mat

Mat