Bring back corperal punnishment.

Ken L

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cory me and a group of us where a bit boisterious to say the least and where caned across the arse and hands at least once a week but we deserved all we got and without it we would have been out of control.

To be honest we used to have a laugh about it and when one was being whacked the rest of us would pull faces at them to make them laugh so they would get extra whacks.

It wasn't the end of the world it was just a deterant wich I think should never have been stoped.

If you got whacked every week it was not much of a deterrent. My idea of a deterrent is something that stops you from re-offending, period.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Corporal punishment only works if (like any other punishment) the recipient, shows remorse and sees the error of his ways. It's no use if it's a badge of honour, and makes you look like the 'hard man'. Remorse for ones actions, (as opposed to remorse for getting caught), is taught at home, and should be endorsed by society.

Unfortunately we are living in an age when we are seeing the seeds of the 80s bear fruit.

It became a more Me, Me, Me society then. The Government pushed a set of values, and the now parents push them onto there kids.

Combine that with the 'brainwashing' that kids now have from the media, music, PC games and the like, and you have a recipe for what we see today.

It's no use saying "we played violent games too", we played cowboys & indians, war, cops and robbers etc, using our imaginations. Now it's played (virtually) for real, you pull the trigger, you push the button, you steal the car and drive the cops off the road, you stab and see the blood spurting out.

These 'games' are played (usually) on your own, for hours on end. I have seen the anger and frustration in kids when they get 'killed', and the determination to be the 'killer' themselves next time.

Advertising and media, push the latest 'image' to the extreme. You are nobody if you don't live up to that 'image'. Whether it's your shape, your clothes, your music or your attitude, it's manipulated by media, advertising etc, to make you be what they say you should be.

Even adults are manipulated, by the 'must have', the latest car, gadget, even fishing tackle. :)

So is it any wonder that some kids behave like they do? They are 'brainwashed' into it.

Just my opinion of course.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Like I said, corporal punishment is only a deterrent to well behaved kids.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Street kids, particularly those in gangs, live with a daily expectation of violence, up to and including stabbing and shooting. They show off their scars as badges of honour.

I don't think the idea of a few strokes with a cane or even a birch is going to worry them too much.

As has been stated, it would only worry the ones that aren't the problem.

As far as National Service is concerned, the Kray twins (ask your Dad :rolleyes: ) did National Service :blink:

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Corporal punishment only works if (like any other punishment) the recipient, shows remorse and sees the error or his ways. It's no use if it's a badge of honour, and makes you look like the 'hard man'.

From what I gather, there were very few hard men walking away from the birching post and I don't remember very much swaggering from the American who took up spraypainting cars in Singapore.

That said, you're right that there will always be a minority of hard cases who will take a beating (and yes, I really would make it a beating) and still keep going back for more. These are the people that prisons were made to deal with and prisins could do with a bit of reform as well. However, that's another issue for another thread.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.