Skate mutilation

Davy Holt

I hate to suggest this as such deliberate acts are quite sickening, but as one of the wounds has healed in such a way as to leave a hole in the fish, would this not suggest there was some compression applied when inflicting the wounds - such as that from the use of a chopping weapon such as a small axe?

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John?

It would have to be, a rather large axe with a curved blade? The wounds, seem to trace the skeletol curvature of the skates head?

Not exactly, I know. But the slight curvature of the wound, would imply a sharp implement dragged along the line of least resistance.

Whatever. I think we all agree. Some sick bastids out there?

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Leon, I think there are are moves afoot under s5 of the Countryside & Wildlife Act 1981 and which would be pro catch and release.

"So how would you legislate so that an angler fishing for skate couldn't claim to be fishing for something else, and putting back all of the 'accidentally' caught skate?"

By far, legislation isn't the end all and be all, but it is a move in the right direction, is it not?

gonefishing:

what tackle and bait did it fall to?

It was caught on a Conoflex 50lb rod with a TLD25 loaded with Powerpro 80lb braided line, with a fresh whole mackeral as bait,on a 12/0 O'Shaunessy hook...... :D

[ 06. September 2004, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Hiya,

Leon :

"So how would you legislate so that an angler fishing for skate couldn't claim to be fishing for something else, and putting back all of the 'accidentally' caught skate?"

The legislation is aimed more at the Commercial Sector, it would mean it would be illegal for them to land any Common skate caught within 12 miles of the UK.

However it also means that since they will be a protected species it will affect anglers fishing for them. You will still be able to go out and fish for skate on rod and line however if you wish to do this you will need a licence to do so. You will also have to practise tag and release and fish under the guideline of the Code of Best Practise.

In reality, nothing can stop anyone catching the odd Common skate accidental and there was never any wish to do so. The aims are to get the Skate and hopefully some of their habitat protected from the ravages of Commercial activity. As a by product we will get a lot more data on the skate habits as everyone will have to tag them, unlike now where it is only a very small percentage of fish caught that are tagged

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Davy Holt:

You will still be able to go out and fish for skate on rod and line however if you wish to do this you will need a licence to do so. You will also have to practise tag and release and fish under the guideline of the Code of Best Practise.

Davy,

Sorry I'm not being purposely negative here, I'm fully supportive of the intention, I just need to understand. :)

'Fishing for skate' involves going out in a boat (or from the shore) and lowering a bait on a hook to the seabed using a rod and line. Sometimes other species are caught.

This is no different to fishing for any other species.

So how does anyone determine whether there is an intention to fish for skate, and therefore the angler should have a licence (and be in possession of tags) ?

Much cheaper for the irresponsible/occasional skate angler to ignore the need for a licence and go fishing for doggies instead, releasing any skate caught without tagging or reporting them.

The licence would then merely be a tax on responsible anglers who aren't the reason why regulating skate anglers would be a good idea in the first place.

All existing/proposed species licenses are really a licence to retain the species, and do not regulate the catching of that species. This wouldn't apply to a species that is always fished for 'catch and release'.

Tight Lines - leon

[ 07. September 2004, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Could it not possibly have been foul hooked and the slit made by the weight of the fish causing that tear when being dragged up to the surface - albeit when it was a lot smaller???

I know that there are some sickos out there but to inflict damage with a knife and then return the fish I can't see any rational reason......or I'm I just being too naive :confused:

Davy,

Is there any data on the numbers being affected by current commercial activity? I thought that was pretty much nill these days due to their lack of value. If it is minimal then this might have more of a negative impact on tagging and recording captures as no angler without a license is going to report a catch, and as Leon says, just the thought of it being a 'tax' might put a lot of anglers off.

Any idea how Ronnie feels about this? I imagine it might affect his business quite a bit.

Or is it more a case of habitat protection and preventing trawling in certain areas to avoid accidental bycatch and the disruption that causes. If that is the case then I think it is much more worthwhile to anglers as there will be a corresponding knock-on effect with all the other species. But in that case will you need such a licence to fiah the area in question at all, or only when targetting skate. I can just guess how many folks will be up there fishing in a protected area and catching more fish, and targetting 'conger'!