Picture Of The Month .. Nov 07.

MrWiggly

Really sorry guys that I cannot give you more technical reasons for picking these lovely photographs,

Judy

Have to agree, comments on the pictures chosen would be of great help to everyone. Not only will it let us into the mind of the judge, it will also help in future submissions.

I know what I look for in a photograph and would be interesting to see what others look for :)

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK here goes...

1. I like this, but as it does not fill the frame,then NO

2. I hate "custard" and the sky looks too dark a blue.

3. Nice shot, clean and crisp, well framed and focussed. I can "feel the chill" Would have been one of my 6 :)

4. Unsharp, and I can't see the point of black and white I am afraid..

5. Not sure about the strong colours..has it been photoshopped? Lack of detail in shadow areas, detail is there though.

6. Needs something in middle or foreground to add depth and perspective.

Now I don't think anything I have said is offensive, hopefully may even be constructive, but they are my opinions, and the topic is "open for comments"

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I'm disappointed to have lost out to a pin, I shall stick to the national lottery in future.

Excuse me butting in gents, but I expected something like this to happen.

I think Judy did a good job in making what was a very difficult choice of photos.

We don't all possess the ability to give 'techy' reasons for our preference for one pic' over another.

Sometimes it's just a case of "I like it, don't know why, but I do", or "It just stood out for me".

There are times when two or three photos have the same appeal, so you either just pick one at random, (with a pin for example), or maybe ask some one else's opinion.

There are those on here that take photography very seriously, and those that just like to take shots, as and when the opportunity arises, and many more somewhere between the two extremes. This as always been the appeal of this part of the forum.

The format of the comp' (unless I'm mistaken), was that the previous winner, had to make a decision based on his/her own choice. How they make that choice is up to them. That choice may be different to yours or mine, but that doesn't matter.

I wavered for along time before I dared post a photo, on here, and I suspect that there are others who feel the same now.

If your not happy with the present set up, then I suggest you find an independent photographer to judge all comps, who will give you choices and reasons that you find acceptable.

If you don't do that, then I suggest you accept the judges choices, and just vote on them.

Any critique and comments on the photos themselves can be made in the designated thread.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Personally wasnt looking for techy reasons, just and insite as to why, even if it was "I just like it". I love the new set up and had (along with others) a fair amount of input as to how it would run. I like to think it was a success but maybe we should lower the amount of entires to make it easier to judge ?

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

Personally wasnt looking for techy reasons, just and insite as to why, even if it was "I just like it". I love the new set up and had (along with others) a fair amount of input as to how it would run. I like to think it was a success but maybe we should lower the amount of entires to make it easier to judge ?

I'm glad you feel that way JK.

I assume that if a judge doesn't give a specific reason, then it's 'Just because they liked it'. They are hardly likely to pick one they don't like, are they? :)

Your suggestion of less entries would make sense, then if limited to say 2 pics, the entrants have to be their own judge, to an extent. We've all had the, "which one should I post", thoughts before entering, (so we know how hard it is to choose).

By entering the comp' we submit the photos for some critique, which is fair enough.

But to 'badger' the judge for reasons that he/she doesn't feel able, or confident enough to give is wrong, and runs the risk of alienating some members, and putting them off posting.

Mind you, that would reduce the number of entries, and, as you said, make it easier to judge, I don't think that would be the best way of doing it though, do you? ;)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I knew this would happen :rolleyes:

I had just spent some of my lunch hour composing a nice reply to you all then my work mobile went off and I pressed something and lost the post,I will try and reply tonight,must get on with some paperwork befroe going back out in the rain.

Judith

Edited by nursejudy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

Well done Judy,that was quite a task you had!!! The amount and quality of the entrants was really good :)

Off to a Victorian Market tomorrow(weather permitting) and hope to get a few few shots for the Dec comp from it. We will see what happens!

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy